Erotic decks - why

NikkiB

Following on from the no no thread Erotic decks are coming up quite a lot...

I only have one - the manara ( I think that's right) I bought it as a exercise to see what it could add or not to relationship questions as I seemed to be getting a lot of them... and found that it added to relationship dynamics in the question rather than the sexual aspects of the question or relationship.

If anything I find the deck really funny! My readings with it (only a couple of a friend) were full of humor in the way the message was developed (from the cards that came up pictorially rather than me giggling like a schoolgirl) and from that point of view I found it quite good to work with. So I actually quite like that deck because it does make me laugh however I would say in general erotic tarot isn't for me anymore than gummy bear type decks..

so do where do you stand on erotic decks and why?

Kosjitov

To date, I don't see myself getting an erotic deck. I'm not a sexual creature. More importantly, the artwork on a good chunk of them doesn't appeal to me. I'd consider one if the artwork was something up my alley but for the most part they don't speak to me. I blame the art rather than the theme.

Amanda

I'd be interested in checking one out, but I'm poor, so haven't even bothered looking.

Elendil

Wouldn't mind checking out the Manara. I read the reviews (on here) and the scans look 'interesting' but it is expensive (on Amazon at least) and we are a long way from PAYDAY at the moment...

Chiriku

Well, ibelieve so many have been produced because tarot decks are collectors' items and erotic themed things are often collectors' items, and have been for centuries (millennia actually)..so the two are a natural pairing.

I own two Lo Scarabeo erotic creations, Tarot of the Casanova and the Manara. My problem with them is how relentlessly heterosexual their perspective is (and it's the classic Straight Male Gaze setting the tone, to boot. Even for those who are both straight and male, the skewed perspective does not always appeal. The erotic is so much bigger than what is consistently offered up to us).

But that aside, I remember them being funny, like you said NikkiB, and I wish they were not in storage so I could try reading with them (I never actually read with them).

Grizabella

I don't have one. At one point I thought I wanted one of them called the Tarot of Casanova if I remember right and I think it was by Lo Scarabeo but I never could afford one so I finally gave up. I'd still probably like that one if I could find one, but since it's OOP I guess I've given up altogether.

Why did I want it? Ya got me! I guess I thought it might be of some help in doing readings for couples who wanted some sexual advice. It was just mildly erotic so far as I could see. I'd hate the extremely sexual ones because that goes beyond eroticism into nastiness---I can't think of the name of the one with the big (well, you know---can't say it here) and the rape scenes and rough sex but I'd never have that one in my house. If it came here, you'd hear the clang of it hitting the bottom of the trash can even from where you are.

But anyway, any deck could answer the same questions as an erotic one. It might be kind of fun to use a mildly erotic one now and then under the right circumstances but I probably won't put one on my wishlist any time soon.

rwcarter

I have an erotic tarot sub-collection and (fairly) regularly participated in the RED (Reading with Erotic Decks) exchanges. You want funny? Try the Garden of Priapus! In almost every reading I've done with it, I've gotten at least one card that made me go "what the fudge?!?!?!?" But those cards all challenged me to come up with interpretations that fit the positional meaning and question, and I got pretty good feedback about the readings I'd done.

So, why erotic decks? They're naughty }), they're different, and they broaden my skills as a reader. (I think it's the 9 Swords that has the farting woman on it. If trying to interpret that card doesn't stretch your reading skills, nothing will! :laugh: )

Rodney

NikkiB

So, why erotic decks? They're naughty }), they're different, and they broaden my skills as a reader. (I think it's the 9 Swords that has the farting woman on it. If trying to interpret that card doesn't stretch your reading skills, nothing will! :laugh: )

Rodney

Love it lol

PathWalker

Erotic Decks

eek, meant to PM

gregory

I have an erotic tarot sub-collection and (fairly) regularly participated in the RED (Reading with Erotic Decks) exchanges. You want funny? Try the Garden of Priapus! In almost every reading I've done with it, I've gotten at least one card that made me go "what the fudge?!?!?!?" But those cards all challenged me to come up with interpretations that fit the positional meaning and question, and I got pretty good feedback about the readings I'd done.

Rodney
The Strength card will stretch it further; one card that makes me rejoice in NOT being a man... :bugeyed: - OUCH. (the curious over 18s can see that card on Tarotgarden's website...)

The RED exchange shows just how well they do, though - they make you think outside the box, partly because - especially with the Priapus - you are laughing so hard you have to make that extra effort. (I think we have read for one another with that, Rodney ? ;) and it spake truth !)