Jade ????

Stormdancer

Does anyone here have authentic jade stuff? How does it feel? Is it heavy? Or is it like Ivory....almost seeming like plastic. Would you be able to tell the difference between glass and Jade?

Bhavana

hmmm...well, I would imagine it is heavier than plastic, more dense...my older pieces don't look like plastic. But I guess it depends on the jade. I have some older pieces (pins, earrings, rings, pendants etc) that are nothing like newer jade items - not as shiny or glass-like....though I do have some heavily polished older pieces as well. I think the newer pieces are more perfect, more uniform in color, and in that sense, harder to tell apart from glass - but it seems to me that jade differs greatly depending on age, type, color, where it comes from.

So, I guess I really didn't answer your question. Why do you ask? Do you have a piece you are wondering about?

Dancing Bear

I am with Bhavana, I have various pieces of Jade
all different shades of green, some with veins of red. all varying finishes.. a couple shiny high gloss, and other bits no shine at all..
They all, if bitten are like glass. all if put to my face are cold.
all bits feel slightly different depending on finish.. High gloss finish feels cold in hands and like glass.. Low gloss or no gloss doesnt feel like glass at all.. it feels more like wax and warm.

I think the finish has a lot to do with it really..
You all all shades of jade green including white..
I have pieces that are very pale shade of green almost white, to deep dark green pieces..
But i dont have actual white.. close but not quite.. Would love a white piece.!!
Apparently it is rare!!

Do tell why you ask LOL!!

Dancing Bear

Does anyone here have authentic jade stuff? How does it feel? Is it heavy? Or is it like Ivory....almost seeming like plastic. Would you be able to tell the difference between glass and Jade?

You defiantely would be able to tell the difference..if it were glass..
Jade is irregular in its shade..there is always some sort of change or flaw as some would say.
Glass would be too perfect and extremely shiny..
Even though you do get highly polished jade, You will still get the inconsistent shades in the piece, it wouldnt be completley one flat colour.. a Girlfriend of mine has the most beutiful piece of jade carved into a buddha, also with the red veins , It seems to look as though the shade of green is consistent without flaw.. But upon closer look you can see the slight changes.. it feels heavy and waxy

Stormdancer

I have a bracelet that belonged to my Grandmother. I think my Dad thought it was jade, but when my Sister & I had her jewelry appraised a few years ago the woman said she thought it was glass. The metal work is stamped with ROC (if I remember right) which means it was made early in the 1900's. I was looking at it last night an noticed that the "stones" are not a uniform color. Each one is just a little different, and there are...I dunno..."wave" of white. I'm not describing it well. Maybe when I wake up a bit I'll try to capture a picture and attach it. It really doesn't seem to feel heavy to me.

Stormdancer

You defiantely would be able to tell the difference..if it were glass..
Jade is irregular in its shade..there is always some sort of change or flaw as some would say.
Glass would be too perfect and extremely shiny..
LOL...you posted while I was replying. These irregular shades are what led me to ask. They LOOK like I'd imagine stones would look.

Dancing Bear

Here are some differences in Proper jade and Glass Jade

Glass Jade

http://www.bwsmigel.info/Lesson9/Images.9/Jade.glass.sim.MF.jpg

You will see in this piece of glass jade the almost perfect imperfections.. With bubbles an all..

http://www.cloudglass.com/images/jade_comp_1.jpg

IN these candle holders. as i mentioned above the almost perfect shade of consistant green, telling you it is Glass..

Proper authentic jade.

http://www.higbank.com/images/higbank/Jade.jpg

In this piece you can see all the scratch marks and slight imperfections in the shade. in this piece you will notice the lighter round spots of green..
Jade even though not as soft as soap stone has the same sort of finish.

http://agsblingblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/jade.jpg

Just a few examples of shade and blatant imperfections of the colouring.

http://www.china-tour.cn/images/Chinese-Arts/Hetian-Jade.jpg

This piece is authentic and looks like glass, it is highly polished which takes away that waxy look like the first real jade image... But if you look closer you will find the imperfections.. that make it real .. Like if you look down the left side of the face Brown jade is streaked through..around the chin lighter green blotches are visable..

This is a great little site that gives you more examples of the real thing and fakes

Jade site

Examples of beautiful white jade

Stormdancer

It does kinda remind me of soapstone. Thanks for the sites. I'll check into them....after coffee...LOL.

These may just be real. :D