When you know, You just know!!

Dancing Bear

I am sure many of you get this..
When choosing a reading deck.. You just know its gonna be good..
Its a certain feeling of "yeh this is a deck i could read with", You do a reading and its just bang on all the time.
You dont even need to read the accompanying book if it comes with one.. the images just spark something within and they are readable straight away...

I have had this only with 2 decks so far.
Even though i have been drawn in and bought otehr decks in the hope! I still havent learnt not to buy without that KNowing feeling LOL!!.. But when "The One" pops up, you just know..

What decks did you know were gonna be good? And were!!

Mine are Druidcraft and The Legacy of the Divine.

Asbestos Mango

Nope, can't say this has ever happened to me, and I own sixteen decks now, three of which I've never tried to read with because I'm doing the Deck of the Week and they haven't come up in the rotation. But since two of them are the Universal Waite and the Pictorial Key, I'm not anticipating any trouble, since I can read just fine with the RWS. One is the Quantum 2.0, and since I can read with the original Quantum, I suspect I'll be able to read with the second edition as well.

I did have the opposite happen, however. When I got Sweet Twilight, I looked through the cards, and found myself thinking "How the hell am I going to read with this deck?" Sure enough, it proved unreadable, and I soon gave it away (to someone who thinks it's a wonderful intuitive deck- go figure).

Dancing Bear

I did have the opposite happen, however. When I got Sweet Twilight, I looked through the cards, and found myself thinking "How the hell am I going to read with this deck?" Sure enough, it proved unreadable, and I soon gave it away (to someone who thinks it's a wonderful intuitive deck- go figure).

LOL! this makes me laugh this is what happens to me when i just randomly buy because i like the pretty pictures LOL!

Barleywine

That happened to me with the Thoth deck, way back in the early '70s. It grabbed me and never let go. The only deck that has been like that for me since is the Shining Tribe tarot; I call it my "spirit" deck because it delivers so much on a non-verbal level. I haven't used it for reading yet, but I'm anticipating it will be deep.

Disa

The DruidCraft was the first deck where everything finally clicked. I could read with it right away. For the first time, the courts reminded me of actual people and the majors I had the most trouble with in other decks had been renamed to something that resonated much better with me. I don't know, it just seemed like I could relate to the characters better, they weren't as harsh and rigid, as say, the characters in the Rider Waite deck.

I was hoping the Wildwood would be the same, but unfortunately I looked through it once and put it right back in it's box :(

celticnoodle

Oh yes. the druidcraft for me and also the robin wood deck. those two for sure.

The crowned one

I KNOW when a deck will not work, and I am optimistic when I think a deck will.

Rider-Waite worked, Hermetic Tarot , Cary-yale, Aquarian, Linweave...and a few others all were can do decks.

Most modern decks are "I know I can not", Kat black's deck and Bohemian Gothic deck being stand-out exceptions..

nisaba

When choosing a reading deck.. You just know its gonna be good..
Its a certain feeling of "yeh this is a deck i could read with", You do a reading and its just bang on all the time.
You dont even need to read the accompanying book if it comes with one.. the images just spark something within and they are readable straight away....
<grin> I hardly ever look at accompanying literature - if I can't read with a deck ... well, out of all the decks I own there's only one which I am not fluid in enough to present for professional readings to strangers.

However, yes.

I love many decks deeply, but within hours I knew that the Granny Jones and the Servants of the Light were special lifelong romances. And I hardly ever use them professionally! <laughter>

Barleywine

I KNOW when a deck will not work, and I am optimistic when I think a deck will.

Rider-Waite worked, Hermetic Tarot , Cary-yale, Aquarian, Linweave...and a few others all were can do decks.

Most modern decks are "I know I can not", Kat black's deck and Bohemian Gothic deck being stand-out exceptions..

Interestingly, I've also found the few "modern" decks I've acquired since returning to tarot practice to be decidedly "hit-or-miss" affairs. It must be that there is much more of a "glut" of them than there was back in the '80s when I went into hibernation for a while. I won't stop exploring them, but I tend to get as many opinions as I can on them before jumping in.