© Copyrights On Cards

Scotty_Bane

Does it bother anyone else to see a big fat ©USGAMES or whatever and a date? It drives me nuts and I have even contemplated trimming my cards. Some of the decks I most love were not made before this was instituted as common practice. I don't mind as much when the © is on the back but if I see it on the front of the card I will not use them.

I suppose that I am not just wanting to bitch, I am curious if I am alone in the issue and if not what have you guys done to remedy this.

Also possibly some favorite decks with no © stuff.

Abrac

A lot of people do trim cards for this very reason. You're not alone in disliking it. :)

Marieve

You are not alone. I really detest it, in fact I don't buy any USG decks for that reason

Bhavana

I love USGames decks, mostly for the quality of the cardstock, no warping, cards lay flat - and to be honest, I barely notice the copyrite. And if I do, it doesn't bother me, being that it is so small. A deck being USGames is often a selling point for me.

le_charior

I am totally with you, I HATE copyrights on cards. I have a Grimaud Tarot de Marseille that I dislike mostly for that reason - the Copyright is inside the picture frame, so no way to get rid of it...

Chiriku

Isn't Morgan Greer a USG copyright? But I don't remember there being a copyright on the front of my one purchased in 1999. And that's certainly a well-loved deck.

Scotty, I too hate the copyright. Really, who could like it? (I understand there are some for whom it doesn't bother them).

But I will say that I used to detest the Lo Scarabeo multi-lingual borders/titles so much that they turned me off several good decks, and I forced myself to get over it and buy and use them. Am I now "okay" with with the border/multi-titles? Nope, dread them. But, I no longer let that stop me from otherwise good decks. Unfortunately, trimming a lot of decks, both USG and LS, to get rid of their copyright and title encroachrments has the effect of making the deck too small for me to handle with pleasure (I have large hands).

Oh, well.

We know why these companies do what they do. They have practical reasons and thus will most likely never change their majority rule. (Although one wonders why indeed certain recently published USG and LS decks are encroachment-free. If they could do it for those decks then why not...)

gregory

I HATE it.

But I don't think I've ever seen an LS deck with copyright on the card faces ???

Morgan Greer. My copy isn't from USGames, but Morgan and Morgan. Which probably explains why it doesn't say USG all over it !

Asbestos Mango

I hardly notice the copyrights. They're not intrusive and don't bother me at all. I'm also not in the least bothered by the multi-lingual titles on the Lo Scarobeo decks. I kind of enjoy them, actually...

Debra

Does the teeny copyright jump up and poke me in the eye? Nope.

I find the copyright makes a card only marginally less elegant and nothing to fuss about. I'm infinitely more affected by the aesthetics of the borders, numbers and titles.

tarotbear

"But I thought of it FIRST!"

Remember, remember, remember ~

We have had this discussion before ~ 'Intellectual Property Rights.'

I agree - the copyright on the face of a card is downright ugly, but it is there for a REASON. The same way that you cannot decide to use a copy of the Mona Lisa on your line of custom 'whoosiewhatsis' - the image does not belong to you but to the Lourve, and they have a right to demand a fee if you want to use it, no matter how old the painting is.

Many people have complained that there are 'royalty-free' Rider deck images online that is from before USGS bought the images from Rider and they can use those instead ~ WRONG~!!!!!! USGS owns the copyright on those images. They always will until they sell them to someone else.