Using the cards as a journal

2_Journey

I'm talking about writing on the cards here, folks.

I've been experimenting with new ways to use the cards for self exploration and understanding. My current self-exploration project involves an incident from my past that I am trying to explore. I'm trying to understand how its energies are still affecting me now. I've been working on this issue with a therapist for a few months, and I expect the tarot part of my exploration to be an ongoing project over the course of several months.

An idea I've been playing around with for a while now is one that involves writing directly on the cards themselves. I don't mean writing meanings or reversals, but rather writing why the card is evocative of certain emotions from that time, or for energies that are still with me now. If a card came up that seemed to be asking me a question, I might also write the question directly on the card so the next time the card comes up the question will come up as well, and I will have a new chance to answer it with a new perspective. As answers come to me, I would record those on the card as well (maybe on the back).

Obviously, I would buy a deck specifically for this project since I would be making the cards unusable for other purposes. Once the project was finished, the deck would be an artifact of my explorations, one that I could revisit as often as I wanted to by pulling the deck out again.

I'm not sure I have a specific question here, but I am interested in hearing if anyone has done something similar, or if anyone has any thoughts on using the cards in this way. I tried searching for threads on writing on the cards, but the only threads I found were ones about writing meanings or affirmations, which isn't what I'm going for here.

(By the way, in case people are wondering which deck I'm thinking of using, my initial thought is the Archeon with silver ink. The Archeon has always had very evocative imagery for me that I've responded to very well, and I think silver ink would be readable but not strident on the images.)

Soaring Eagle

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but after reading your other post, and now this one, maybe these exercises could also benefit you. I'm not sure if you've checked it out yet.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=164596

I guess it's my way of "saving" a deck of cards. I truly hate to think of anyone writing on tarot cards or even in books.

Amitisti

I have never considered this or heard of anyone else doing it, but I wanted to tell you that I think it is a wonderful idea and has been filed away in my 'maybe someday' file.

I would love to hear how this turns out for you.

2_Journey

Thanks for the link, Soaring Eagle. I don't know how I missed that thread the first time around. I'll give it a read, and may experiment with that technique in the coming week. It sounds like a good way to start thinking beyond the card for sure.

I'm a full-time grad student, and write in textbooks all the time, so I'm not too fussed about writing on a deck (provided it's not too expensive), but I certainly understand how many people might not like the idea of writing in books or on tarot cards.

2_Journey

I have never considered this or heard of anyone else doing it, but I wanted to tell you that I think it is a wonderful idea and has been filed away in my 'maybe someday' file.

I would love to hear how this turns out for you.

Hi Amitisti,

Saw your post after I posted. Thanks! If I end up doing it, I would definitely post scans/pics so people could see the project as it progresses.

PathWalker

It sounds like a really interesting idea, and I don't have anything against writing on the card (or a boook for that matter) in principle.

My only thought is - is there going to be enough room for what you may want to write?
I'm pretty wordy myself, and I can see I'd run out of space LOL
I might make photocopied, sized up pages, and write over the image that way, and make a journal of it.

But if it works for you, I wish you luck.

AJ

Sounds like good toolwork to me.
I accidently discovered the value when Kissa introduced primping decks.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136886&highlight=pimp

I beautified all the decks I worked with except when it came to Tarot of the Saints, Robert Place. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-of-the-saints/

For some reason I went straight to the minors, picked up my fine Sharpies and vented my spleen about the horrific treatment children had been receiving from trusted priests, backed up by Rome itself. They weren't pretty and I happily burned them when finished, for what else could I possibly do about the situation? The process did help a bit, as venting usually does.

Anyway, go for it. I saw at Office Max yesterday Sharpie has come out with fine and regular gold and silver pens with oil based paint, guaranteed to write on just about everything...

2_Journey

Pathwalker - Good question! I think what I would have to do is write longer journal entries first, and then write a key phrase onto the card itself. I tend to be fairly wordy too :)

AJ - Sounds intense! But it's good to know the experience was positive for you, even if you ended up burning the cards when you were done.

I think I would keep my deck, but after I was finished, who knows how I'd feel once I was done with the project.

Manda

I don't know if you consider this the same thing, but I scan and print out cards I want to write about. Sometimes I write on the card (copy) and sometimes next to it but I love having the images right there. I put them in a three ring binder, and it is a delight to sift through the years of images and thoughts.

I have a pen pal that I write to on paper I have copied a card to, as well. It's a point of conversation and a visual journey through our relationship. (Also they want to learn tarot and it's part of how I can help.)

Using the same scan/copy/print idea, I do tarot affirmations or spell work with the cards. I'm not going to burn the Nine of Swords from any decks to help remind me not to hang on to anxiety but I can certainly tell a copy where to go.