PDA

View Full Version : World's biggest quartz crystal ball in Smithsonian

minrice
25-09-2011, 06:09
Awhile ago I went to see the gem & mineral exhibit in the Smithsonian (D.C.) and took a pic of the world's biggest quartz crystal ball! So amazing and flawless, you could just feel its energy! I want it!
There are pics of those big topaz points in the other thread I created on crystals in the smithsonian.

MsRubyRain
25-09-2011, 13:53
Wowie!!!

Bhavana
25-09-2011, 14:22
I am only 3 hours from washington, I really should grab a couple of the kids and go down tehre for this

Hemera
25-09-2011, 21:45
Ooh wow. Swoon..

Minotauro
25-09-2011, 21:55
wow ._. I cnat blieve that's quartz!

it is lovely D:

how much could something lik that cost?

amethyst57
26-09-2011, 02:34
omg....
how would ya pack that one off home? LOL

Wendywu
26-09-2011, 02:41
That's amazing! This isn't a crystal ball but take a look here http://www.crystalinks.com/mexicocrystals.html. These caves are amazing - I saw a documentary where a man went into the caves and the crystals are as big and bigger than he is - by far! It is so hot down there that the time he could spend there was very limited - minutes - but it was incredible to see.

The best pictures are when you scroll right down the page.

amethyst57
26-09-2011, 03:01
saw that documentary too...on the National Geograghic channel....
such deadly beauty....
gets in the triple digits farentheit in that cave system, humidity in the 90's...stay inside any longer than 10 minutes, you'll dehydrate quickly...yikes....

minrice
26-09-2011, 03:24
I know, I want to take it home. You can just feel its power, imagine what a tool it would make.

That's amazing! This isn't a crystal ball but take a look here http://www.crystalinks.com/mexicocrystals.html. These caves are amazing

Soooo beautiful! and amazing, I can't imagine. I had heard of this too, someone posted on Facebook about it and it's just incredible.

I am only 3 hours from washington, I really should grab a couple of the kids and go down tehre for this

If you do let me know! I would love to go again, probably been about a year since I took those pics. seriously, lol, I could help with kiddos :)

Soaring Eagle
26-09-2011, 03:24
That's amazing! This isn't a crystal ball but take a look here http://www.crystalinks.com/mexicocrystals.html. These caves are amazing - I saw a documentary where a man went into the caves and the crystals are as big and bigger than he is - by far! It is so hot down there that the time he could spend there was very limited - minutes - but it was incredible to see.

These are some great pics!! I live close to Chihuahua, and didn't even know about this mine. I will definately have to talk my husband into taking me. I can't wait.

Minotauro
26-09-2011, 15:48

I SOOOOO wanted to go there u.u but the cave is now closed/sealed :C
oh god I feel soo bad about it DX

Minotauro
26-09-2011, 16:00
These are some great pics!! I live close to Chihuahua, and didn't even know about this mine. I will definately have to talk my husband into taking me. I can't wait.

they say the crystals there could have ben growing for maybe even a millian years , yep , that ois how amazing the cave is . the crystals are about 11 meters wich are about 36 feet long. the crystals started growing when the temperature was about - 136.4 degrees Fahrenheit , the crystals have pretty much stoped growing , and the cave is now at about 136.4 degrees

the cave has now been sealed again. u.u

shelikes2read
26-09-2011, 16:06
Awhile ago I went to see the gem & mineral exhibit in the Smithsonian (D.C.) and took a pic of the world's biggest quartz crystal ball! So amazing and flawless, you could just feel its energy! I want it!
There are pics of those big topaz points in the other thread I created on crystals in the smithsonian.

DO WANT! But then, I'm the one who started the Sphere Addiction thread. :D

There's a huge quartz sphere in Philadelphia, too. It's at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology. Interestingly, I saw a post about it (and the one at the Smithsonian) in another forum earlier in the evening.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WGZfoZWSnV0/TYyw6ydwtDI/AAAAAAAAAqw/C8ubQznFhkQ/s1600/DSCN5881.jpg

I've seen the one in Philadelphia. (I used to work down the street from the museum it's in, actually, but at the time I had the job, I had no idea the artifact was there.) I had a major DO WANT moment the day I saw that one, too. :D

shelikes2read
26-09-2011, 16:13
they say the crystals there could have ben growing for maybe even a millian years , yep , that ois how amazing the cave is . the crystals are about 11 meters wich are about 36 feet long. the crystals started growing when the temperature was about - 136.4 degrees Fahrenheit , the crystals have pretty much stoped growing , and the cave is now at about 136.4 degrees

the cave has now been sealed again. u.u

On the one hand, I'm disappointed that it's been re-sealed. On the other hand, if they've allowed it to refill with water, then when the balance of chemicals is right, the crystals can go back to growing like they've been for milennia. So if it's been allowed to return to its natural state, I wouldn't call that a bad thing

minrice
30-09-2011, 07:28
DO WANT! But then, I'm the one who started the Sphere Addiction thread. :D

There's a huge quartz sphere in Philadelphia, too. It's at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology. Interestingly, I saw a post about it (and the one at the Smithsonian) in another forum earlier in the evening.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WGZfoZWSnV0/TYyw6ydwtDI/AAAAAAAAAqw/C8ubQznFhkQ/s1600/DSCN5881.jpg

I've seen the one in Philadelphia. (I used to work down the street from the museum it's in, actually, but at the time I had the job, I had no idea the artifact was there.) I had a major DO WANT moment the day I saw that one, too. :D

Really? I will have to check this one out for sure. I sooo want it!!! Just gazing at it I feel it's powerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I have a big quartz sphere of my own that I just adore. But it's nowhere near this huge!