Tarot and the Four Corners

Zechariah13

Ok, i dont know if this belongs here or in Spirituality, but i dont have access to the Spirituality Sub forum, so i'll try it here.

I am a Pagan, and have considered myself as such since this last july. I was introduced to the Occult through the tarot, and Tarot has since been intrinsically connected to Magcik for me. I was wondering first if anyone knows about using cards in Spells and Rites, and second if anyone has ever heard of using tarot cards to call the corners.

Using them to call the corners would be using one of two cards in each direction, either the Aces, or what i call the 'Prime Courts' , or the King of Wands, Queen of Cups, Knight of Swords and Page of Pentacles, to represent the four elements. Typically one would use things like a lit candle for fire, a water-filled chalice for water, a pentacle for earth and incense for air, but i was wondering if the Tarot could be used for the rites, or at least if theres any precedent for it.

Any input would be much appreciated

Note: moderators, if this belongs in Spirituality, not here, please just delete this as i dont have access to that forum and wouldnt be able to view it

Disa

I haven't specifically used the cards to call the four corners, but what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I think you could do this and it would totally work, as long as it feels right to you- I don't see why you couldn't do it.

I wonder if you have run across the well worn path and the hidden path oracle cards, which if you combine them together they can make one big set. They might be interesting to you?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/well-worn-path/

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Path-R...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316895098&sr=1-1

hunter

I've experimented quite a bit with using tarot cards as the center of my spiritual practices. Unfortunately I have severe memory loss problems and forget what I have done :-0

If you google "tarot Spells" you will find some interesting books. There are threads here, but...I'm too tired and foggy to try and search for them today.

The Wizards Tarot has some ideas on incorporating tarot cards. The court cards are elementals.

Motherpeace Tarot has a book on rituals.

"Tarot for All Seasons" is also a book not to be missed.

Sorry, I'm not being more helpful, but I just wanted to at least let you know you are not alone in wanting to use your tarot cards in ritual. I hope others have time to respond. Foggy day :-0

Kosjitov

I would not personally use tarot cards to call corners. It isn't hard to get a candle, some salt, a glass of water, and some incense. It's a standard rote ritual and I don't believe calling corners merits my tarot cards.

If I were to use them, I would choose to use the Aces only since they are the representation of the purest and unfettered essence of each element. They are in no way modified or adulterated, and as yet untapped. However, I would not be against using tarot cards in spellcraft picking cards as appropriate to the ritual. The High Priestess, specifically, I've used for dream related work.

Eclectics use whatever they see fit- usually a mishmash of different processes. We find what works for us best and repeat it :)

Zechariah13

I would not personally use tarot cards to call corners. It isn't hard to get a candle, some salt, a glass of water, and some incense.

You see, its not about ease of getting them, its about how much more stuff am i going to have to hide from my mom until i move out.

WHen i get my own place, i plan on setting up a proper altar with proper tools. But at the moment i have to make due with what i have. of course, that is in reference to the Wand, Athame and other things one typically needs

that and, me being me, i couldnt just use SOME salt, ANY glass or candle. I would need to buy things, and then i would have to be LOOKING for things that resonate with me and then...it gets complicated because i tend to complicate everything.
But still, thanks for reminding me how simple it is to get things!

Bhavana

Good book on the basics- Tarot Spells, author's last name Renee.... The Celtic Dragon book has some spells in it as well. When I have used cards, it's as something I just work in, don't follow any rules or "recipes"....which is how I do everything. Once I start feeling like I have to follow some strict ritual, seems like I am back again in a religion where I feel suffocated and repressed by rules, and then I just don't want to play anymore.

Must be a pain in the butt to have to hide things. If you go onto the video channels, there are a few videos on doing tarot spells - may be easier than going out and getting a new book- and might give you ideas on good substitutes that won't be so obvious - and will live up to your "complicated" standards! Good luck, relax, have fun~!

Zechariah13

Good book on the basics- Tarot Spells, author's last name Renee.... The Celtic Dragon book has some spells in it as well. When I have used cards, it's as something I just work in, don't follow any rules or "recipes"....which is how I do everything. Once I start feeling like I have to follow some strict ritual, seems like I am back again in a religion where I feel suffocated and repressed by rules, and then I just don't want to play anymore.

yeah, im kinda torn on the whole structure of ritual thing. Most books i find have a VERY specific set of details i need to stay within, like "you should never blow out a candle. it offends the elementals." but i definitely see the use of ritual as an aide for altering perceptions.

Must be a pain in the butt to have to hide things. If you go onto the video channels, there are a few videos on doing tarot spells - may be easier than going out and getting a new book- and might give you ideas on good substitutes that won't be so obvious - and will live up to your "complicated" standards! Good luck, relax, have fun~!

really, thats why i only have small things here and there. really everything i need for my craft at the moment fits into my backpack

Bhavana

yeah, im kinda torn on the whole structure of ritual thing. Most books i find have a VERY specific set of details i need to stay within, like "you should never blow out a candle. it offends the elementals." but i definitely see the use of ritual as an aide for altering perceptions.

really, thats why i only have small things here and there. really everything i need for my craft at the moment fits into my backpack

that may be a good thing - especially because you are first starting out, and it may be best to start off not getting in the habit of thinking you need all these things/items - because you don't!! All you really need, when it comes down to it, is what is up in your head. Little by little you can gather the items you'll use, better that they should have some sort of significance to you rather than just be something you picked out of a catalog. A lot of the things I have were second hand, even very old - came from thrift stores, or were made by me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying something new that you really love - but at this time, when that is not possible, it will be good for you to learn to make due with what you have.

All those rules about ritual are just someone's opinion. You'll find different opinions in every book - you'll learn to take what you can use and discard what you can't!

Zechariah13

that may be a good thing - especially because you are first starting out, and it may be best to start off not getting in the habit of thinking you need all these things/items - because you don't!! All you really need, when it comes down to it, is what is up in your head. Little by little you can gather the items you'll use, better that they should have some sort of significance to you rather than just be something you picked out of a catalog. A lot of the things I have were second hand, even very old - came from thrift stores, or were made by me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying something new that you really love - but at this time, when that is not possible, it will be good for you to learn to make due with what you have.

All those rules about ritual are just someone's opinion. You'll find different opinions in every book - you'll learn to take what you can use and discard what you can't!

I prefer to think of ritual as something that works for whoever wrote the book. Although most of my books are wicca, i prefer to think of myself as a Natural Witch.
BUT...BRINGING IT BACK TO THE OP TOPIC THAT KEEPS THIS FORUM APPROPRIATE:

I was thinking of using the tarot, mainly for simplicity's sake. I mean, if i'm away from my supplies (when i get them) i'll have at least SOME supplies on hand, like those always are (they never leave my bag)

nisaba

You could use a Tarot card as part of your decorations for each of the Quarter-altars. But how I use them magically is to take a card that relates to what I'm doing or whom I'm worshipping, and meditate on the image and its detail.