PDA

View Full Version : Red Jasper find

Bhavana
27-09-2011, 01:36
Look at this huge hunk of red jasper I found, of all places, in one of the rock walls in my mom's yard. How it got there, where it came from, who knows! It has quartz growing in it, both white and something else that is black and sparkly in bright light. I have my hand in the photo to show how big it is, and I also have a piece of flat polished red jasper so you can see the same exact patterns in the polished piece that are in the unpolished.

Pretty awesome, huh?

amethyst57
27-09-2011, 03:23
that is awesome!
think that black sparkling stuff is mica or pyrite...

tarotlaura
27-09-2011, 03:23
Oh wow! What a cool find! I have a small piece of red jasper that I got a while back. I've always thought it was really pretty.

Briar Rose
27-09-2011, 04:45
It's beautiful. You 2 found each other!

peaceandkarma
27-09-2011, 09:08
That's a nice big crystal. It looks really nice.

janie144
27-09-2011, 17:45
Oh wow Bhavana, that is awesome, lucky you, well done on your find :)

MsSharonBee
28-09-2011, 01:04
Just beautiful! I really like how the white quartz offsets the red jasper ... very striking.

Tuilirose
28-09-2011, 01:34
It's beautiful! Is that a common stone in your area?
Now let us see a picture of your moms wall after you chiseled it out. lol!

Bhavana
28-09-2011, 09:06
I don't believe that red jasper is common to my area, i am in southern New Jersey, sort of part of the coastal plain and in the Pine Barrens. It is very sandy here, at some point this was ocean.

Lucky for me, my mom has one of those cottage country gardens, not very formal, so the place where I wrenched this out did not suffer much! I had been eyeing it for some time, years really, wondering why there was reddish rock in a mostly slate and some quartz wall...and by the way, the stones are mostly flat in shape, stacked on top of each other, not cemented together - so it was easy to get it out. I just had to remove some of the top stones first.

In talking to my mom, who also has no idea from whence the red jasper came, we were thinking one of my brothers may be able to solve the mystery - he always had snakes and lizards and other such critters, possibly he purchased this stone at some point for an aquarium interior decorating theme. When the aquarium was dismantled, perhaps the stone found it's way out to the yard and eventually was put onto or into the wall. The reason I am thinking this is because there are also some pieces of petrified wood in my mom's garden, and those came from my brother's old iguana habitat.

Another hypothesis - the original owner of this home was from the western states, where I believe jasper IS common - and he also was the owner of a big landscaping and pond company. So possibly he had the stone as part of the garden decor.

I hesitate to ask my brother - what if he says "Oh WOW you found my prized piece of red jasper! Thanks Jen!!" (grabs red jasper right out of my hands) So, maybe it is best to just keep it a mystery....that is, till the inevitable day when said brother comes for dinner and is looking around my house....

minrice
30-09-2011, 06:26
Ooo, it is lovely! I love red jasper, I just feel very drawn to it. One of my favorite rings is a long ooblong piece of red jasper.

celticnoodle
30-09-2011, 08:50
What a beautiful stone, Bhavana!

Red Jasper is a wonderful stone to have, and is a protective stone, especially good to have with you at night. It also protects you against anything that could harm you and is good to eliminate emotional stress. A great stone and a must have for everyone as it is also a great balancing stone, and it will help you to keep the energy in your body well balanced. It may take awhile to work for you, so if you do need it, keep it on your body or close to you for awhile, so it can become attached to you to protect and balance you.

A lucky find for you! :thumbsup:

Bhavana
30-09-2011, 12:31
What a beautiful stone, Bhavana!

Red Jasper is a wonderful stone to have, and is a protective stone, especially good to have with you at night. It also protects you against anything that could harm you and is good to eliminate emotional stress. A great stone and a must have for everyone as it is also a great balancing stone, and it will help you to keep the energy in your body well balanced. It may take awhile to work for you, so if you do need it, keep it on your body or close to you for awhile, so it can become attached to you to protect and balance you.

A lucky find for you! :thumbsup:

thanks for this info - I have a few small pieces as well. I am keeping this big stone in my bedroom, either on my night table or on a bench at the foot of the bed. There have been an unusually high amount of home robberies in my town since June (over 30!!) and not long ago I was walking the dogs at night and as I was passing a one story house on a corner, where I could see the side and back of the house, I saw a man standing in the home's flower bed along the side of the house in the dark, looking into what was likely a bedroom window. He must have heard the dog's collar tags jingling, because as I went by, he turned and saw me just as I saw him, then he sort of melted into the shadows around the back corner of the house, taking steps backwards while facing me, till he was lost in the dark where I could no longer see him...when i realized what I was actually seeing - it took a few moments to process it in my head, it really creeped me out. I mean REALLY creeped me out. I live in a one story home, too. So yeah, protection has been on my mind a lot lately.

celticnoodle
30-09-2011, 22:00
My goodness, that is a scary experience!

I recall once when I owned my trailer and lived in a trailer park, we had a peeping tom. In fact, he was caught peeking into my living room, while I unfortunately had fallen asleep on the couch watching television late one night. My neighbors dog saw him, barked, they looked out and saw him as well and c. the police and then came over to my home. the 'tom' was never caught that night--but he was caught later peeking in yet another neighbors bedroom window. weird. it was a very creepy experience........

Perhaps this red jasper came into your possession to help keep you safe! I sure hope so and hope you remain safe and sound.

Bhavana
01-10-2011, 00:31
I had a friend - we were just kids - who looked up one night and came face to face with a man outside peeping in her window. Nothing creepier if you ask me, and evidently it isn't all that uncommon. Most people might think it's harmless - but I remember reading once that that is how Ted Bundy got started....I did call the police about this, though he was gone by then - but the police at least said they would inform the homeowners about it.

Maybe I should go buy some red jasper, about 30 lbs of it, and just surround my house with it!