PDA

View Full Version : anyone store their decks with herbs?

greatdane
28-09-2011, 05:07
I don't have a big collection and keep in a canvas bags that has a waxy lining. Works well. I put dried rosemary in the bag. It doesn't touch the decks themselves, they're all in Dark Nature Cases, but I like the smell and it's supposed to be protective and help keep away negative energy. But I like that bit of nature in with my decks and the smell, so anything else it does is a bonus!

Chiriku
28-09-2011, 05:15
I don't have a big collection and keep in a canvas bags that has a waxy lining. Works well. I put dried rosemary in the bag. It doesn't touch the decks themselves, they're all in Dark Nature Cases, but I like the smell and it's supposed to be protective and help keep away negative energy. But I like that bit of nature in with my decks and the smell, so anything else it does is a bonus!

Wonderful idea, gd.

Rosemary is such an appealing scent to me, I once made cologne out of it and some vodka.

But ii only use fresh rosemary. Would that impart enough scent to semi permanently scent a deck?
Candle wax from high quality scented candles does, and that is my current method of scented storage.

greatdane
28-09-2011, 05:18
I have a HUGE rosemary bush out by my mailbox so I can just grab a couple sprigs whenever I like, so it's fresh, although it does dry out fast. It holds the scent for some time, but whenever I need fresher rosemary, I just go get some!

avalonian
28-09-2011, 07:09
I keep a little organza bag of dried lavender and rosebuds in with decks when I put them into bags. Smells wonderful when you open the bag.
:) :) :)

greatdane
28-09-2011, 07:38
The more senses one can involve, the better in my book! OOH and I love the mix you use.

prudence
28-09-2011, 11:09

That sounds very Hoodoo, GD! Nice.

I have thought about using herbs that act as aids to our intuition, as well as some that might draw attention from potential "clients". PS basil also keeps away bad energy.

greatdane
28-09-2011, 11:20
I admit I took the easy route. There are big bushes of rosemary growing by mailboxes here and it's so easy to just grab a bit! I would eventually like to do some little herb gardens. I'm not very good at growing things. I killed a cactus. Do you know how hard that is?

But I'm going to give it a shot. For now, I have my trusty rosemary bushes!

Pandora MoonRaven
28-09-2011, 11:31
With the decks I use for clients which is a fair amount I have dried lavendar, sage and some clove in the bags with the decks. Some no clove. However always the lavendar and sage. I love the smell but it also cleanses the decks while they are in their trunks snoozin. HAHA

Grizabella
28-09-2011, 17:20
I admit I took the easy route. There are big bushes of rosemary growing by mailboxes here and it's so easy to just grab a bit! I would eventually like to do some little herb gardens. I'm not very good at growing things. I killed a cactus. Do you know how hard that is?

But I'm going to give it a shot. For now, I have my trusty rosemary bushes!

Yeah, I know how hard it is. I've killed them, too. But I imagine it's even harder to do where you live, there in the desert. I could blame it on the fact that I live in Oregon, but you can't blame it on much of anything, can you? LOL

TarotWoman
28-09-2011, 20:39
This sounds a lovely idea and one which I think I'll borrow :)

Most of my decks smell on incense, which is rather nice, but I do like the idea of using dried herbs or flowers too.

celticnoodle
28-09-2011, 21:46
I love rosemary too! such a clean and refreshing scent! we always have a pot of rosemary growing. I'm jealous you have it outside so readily! Its not as easy to grow here in NY or VT, due to the long cold winters. I brought two gorgeous large pots of rosemary with us to VT and within 2 mos. they were gone. :( I had those for about 8yrs each! we have another one now, still a small rosemary plant, and its currently on the porch, but will need to be brought in soon as this Saturday our high will only be 50F.

As for keeping cards with an herb, I did that when I first began to read with tarot cards. I had the cards wrapped in a black velvet cloth, same as my crystal ball, and I kept sage in the same container these were both stored in. However, after awhile, I decided to stop that, as I have SO many decks and crystals now.

I was told in a New Age Shop that sage would protect the cards and ball from negative energies and keep myself protected as well when using them.

I love the smell of sage, much like I do the rosemary, but after awhile, too much trouble to continue to replace it as the herb dries out.

greatdane
29-09-2011, 03:44
quite a bit of it is BROWN, there's still quite a bit that's green, but we're still in the 100's here. But it's this HUGE meandering bush and so it makes adding fresh rosemary quite often realllly easy. It's either that...or cactus.

MoonGypsy
29-09-2011, 03:49
i don't usually store my decks with herbs; but i DO occasionally like to smudge [the cards i use most] with Sage...:love:

greatdane
29-09-2011, 03:56
her decks to smudge :-))). Sometime I must try smudging. When I do move, I would like to smudge.

MoonGypsy
29-09-2011, 03:58
her decks to smudge :-))). Sometime I must try smudging. When I do move, I would like to smudge.

Do you have sensitive smoke detectors, sweetie?

greatdane
29-09-2011, 04:00
didn't think of that! UM, KINDA.... I'm actually careful with votives. Didn't think of that.

celticnoodle
29-09-2011, 04:41
:laugh: yes, that is true! you have to be very careful if you have sensitive smoke detectors. also, be prepared. smudging w/sage does smell like pot. :eek:

greatdane
29-09-2011, 04:47
How would you know that? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Just kiddin, dear friend, but couldn't resist. Anyone who grew up anywhere near the time we did (and yes, you are younger by far!) would know that smell anywhere!

Laura Borealis
29-09-2011, 04:57
I'd never thought of this but it's a great idea. And funny, when I read the thread title I thought of rosemary. :)

Morwenna
29-09-2011, 05:24
Our smoke detector is so sensitive it's activated by steam from the shower! :bugeyed: But I've never had trouble with incense for some reason (I just keep it inside a room and nowhere near the hall). That said, I think I'll try smudging the decks with incense; heaven knows I have enough of it! I have a few ideas...

celticnoodle
29-09-2011, 06:53
Our smoke detector is so sensitive it's activated by steam from the shower! :bugeyed: But I've never had trouble with incense for some reason (I just keep it inside a room and nowhere near the hall). That said, I think I'll try smudging the decks with incense; heaven knows I have enough of it! I have a few ideas...

:P yikes!

ours in the rental is also very sensitive. When we are boiling water to cook pasta, it can go off unless we open the window! :rolleyes: the real pain is, that all the detectors are wired so that when one goes off the others will go off too. So, when the one in the dining room (next to kitchen) goes off, the one in the livingroom goes, the one in the basement, one in the hallway and one in the bedroom. lol! :laugh: its like a circus! it also in addition to the loud siren sound yells, "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" so loud, even the dog next door begins to bark and howl at the noise. :P Yep. the WHOLE neighborhood will hear it. :rolleyes:

and, uh, greatdane..........I'll never confess!!! ;)

:angel:

Bhavana
01-10-2011, 12:47
what are "dark nature cases"??

I don't put herbs in the bags that my cards are in, but I'll occasionally store any sage smudge wands I have made, or dried lavender buds in the same drawers as the cards. Right now I have a few bars of this awesome soap I bought at Trader Joes, a French bar with a lemon verbena scent - so strong! I just sent off a few decks in a trade, and I am wondering if the guy is going to ask me what the heck that lemon smell was???

Herbs are very easy to grow, even for those of you who don't garden. They just like a sunny spot, and once the plant is established, they don't even mind if you miss waterings now and then. And it's fun to dry them. I have a whole bunch of sage I need to wrap up before the first frost. I am not very good at getting the bundles as tight as the ones you buy, but they do the trick for what I use them for - mainly cleansing/smudging my cards and crystals. I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I do it with every new deck.

greatdane
01-10-2011, 13:28
Dark Nature Cases were FABBBBULOUS tarot cases our own Glitterbird customized for decks! IN GREAT FABRICS! And she also made THE most lovely spread cloths in velvet. Sigh. I am lucky enough to have almost all my decks in her cases and a beautiful dark purple crushed velvet spread cloth.

So not to get off subject, I then store those decks in the DNC's in a bag with rosemary!

greatdane
06-10-2011, 08:12
I can't take credit for this bush, landscapers care for it, but the rosemary bushes (more like small rolling hills) by mailboxes are starting to bloom with gorgeous little blue flowers! Don't know the best time to plant this bush, but if it grows here well (Arizona) guessing it must be grown in other places! Do yourself a favor and grow this around your house! Smells divine and these flowers are sooo cool looking (plus it means I always have fresh rosemary for potatoes and other dishes and to put in with my decks!)