PDA

View Full Version : Calcite

Aithnea
07-08-2003, 09:25
I'm just getting into Crystals and Gems. Recently well I was out with some friends I got a Honey Calcite crystal as my first one. It called to me. Could someone please suggest some other crystals to get and some good links so that I can look them up.

Thank you

gonesavage
07-08-2003, 13:38
*disclaimer: i am still reasonably inexperienced with crystals. but i offer what i can.*

i would recommend getting something for grounding, if energy work is your intention- hematite, tiger's eye, black onyx. there are many.

citrine is a good stone to have around. as is rose quartz. i love herkimer diamonds, but i have to limit how much i handle them as i tend to get a bit spacy if i don't watch it. selenite is interesting as well. if you like calcite, perhaps try fluorite.

knowing your intention will help in selecting a stone. are you interested in energy work to a specific purpose? or just meditating on them? or perhaps you don't have an intention, and are just letting the wind take you... in which case i would recommend handling the stones that catch your eye and letting them pick you rather than the other way around.

i prefer to let the wind take me. but all i do with my stones is hold them and coo at them. (gollum quote deleted to preserve self image).

good luck, and have fun

gonesavage

Aithnea
08-08-2003, 00:30
Thank you so very much. Yes, I'm still new so I don't really know what my intentions are yet. But you have been a great help.

Kyrielle
23-09-2003, 15:10
I suggest going to a rock shop or metaphysical shop where you can see a lot of different stones. Look at them all and check out the ones that you like the look or the feel of. Those would be the best to start with -- the ones you are drawn to.

Suggestions for a basic beginner selection -- generally easy to find, beginner-friendly, and reasonably priced: Amethyst, rose quartz, citrine, tigereye, clear quartz, smoky quartz, snowflake obsidian, carnelian, sodalite, green aventurine, hematite, moonstone, various jaspers and agates.

If you like calcite, it is available in all colors, most commonly clear, white, blue, green, orange (my favorite) and honey (another favorite).

Check out rough and polished stones, clusters and points and geodes and tumbled pieces. See if you feel differently about the same kind of stone in different shapes and forms.

All of these stones and more are discussed here on the forum. Use the Search feature and type the name of the stone. If you want to know more about a stone, just ask here. Some of those other threads also have links.

-- Kyrielle