Flour?

KMilliron

Some of my cards are getting sticky, hard to shuffle, etc. Is it true you can put the cards in a bag, fill the bag with flour, and then shake? Apparently after you wipe the cards individually the flour absorbs all the oils and such on the cards. I want to try this tomorrow with a couple of test cards before trying it on my tarot deck.

Morwenna

Cornstarch might also work; it has a silkier texture than flour. But test it first. Same goes for baby powder.

KMilliron

Cornstarch might also work; it has a silkier texture than flour. But test it first. Same goes for baby powder.

I bought two decks of playing cards. One for reading/playing and one for testing out various things :D

tarotbear

Go to a 'magic store' and get the powder the magicians use to make their cards slide - it has a name that is escaping me at the moment. I think wheat flour might attract mites and other nasties to your stored decks!

Amitisti

I have used baby powder on regular playing cards and it worked great. I wouldn't suggest any food based powders for the same reason tarotbear stated, bugs.
I do wonder...a perfumed talc might be really nice to use...your cards would smell pretty after.

Laura Borealis

Go to a 'magic store' and get the powder the magicians use to make their cards slide - it has a name that is escaping me at the moment. I think wheat flour might attract mites and other nasties to your stored decks!

Fanning powder?

nisaba

I bought unscented talc, because I couldn't afford fanning powder at the time (it was still scented, but not too strongly).

I put a little on a flat plate, and laid one card on it, both sides. Then I shook it off, put un untreated card on it, then powdered the next, then an untreated card, etc right through the few decks that needed treatment. Then I shuffled them really, really well. That was ages ago now and they are all perfect, so repeat treatments don't seem to be needed.

Grizabella

What does four and water make? Paste! The moisture from the air and your hands would probably make a gummy mess on the cards after a time.

I've used baby powder and it worked wonderfully. I tried fanning powder but didn't like it as well.

Bhavana

I have used baby powder on regular playing cards and it worked great. I wouldn't suggest any food based powders for the same reason tarotbear stated, bugs.
I do wonder...a perfumed talc might be really nice to use...your cards would smell pretty after.

they might smell pretty - but some perfumed talc contains chemicals that may be harmful to the cards - ok to put on our skin though - go figure!