Voice

KMilliron

When writing papers, giving speeches, writing music, etc, people are unique in their approach. Anywhere there is communication, there is a voice. Tarot reading is no exception. One thing people find hard is describing their own voice. It's along the lines of trying to mimic your own accent. If you were to try and describe your reading voice, how do you think it comes across? Can you think of a reader who's style and voice you particularly enjoy? This is a topic that's been on my mind and I'm interested in your thoughts :D

Amanda

Well I'm direct and I think that comes across as harsh sometimes. I've been told that I don't suffer fools easily. My bad. I'm trying to work on that. I have worked the front desk of a mental health facility. The mentally ill, I have tons of patience for. But when someone consciously chooses not to improve themselves when they have the means and ability, I get a little annoyed. But hey it's not for everyone, and that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

I'm also pretty slow to interpret. I like to slosh things around between my mind and my gut a bit and look at all the cards together in a big picture before I start typing. And I am better at e-mail readings because of that. I like the 'writing' aspect of tarot readings... and sorting through my imagination/intuition as I type... it's kind of calming, and meditative to me.

I like starrystarrynight's motherly energy when she interprets, and I like Sword King's jovial flare. And even though I haven't really witnessed Lillie's readings, I like her real-world, in-your-face attitude.

Penthasilia

Funny, I go into a trance-like state when I read, and though my voice doesn't sound any different to my own ears (just far off)- I have been told that it has a very different quality and is deeper, softer and slightly sonorous (as one client told me- it was almost like two people, with the same voice, speaking simultaneously).

Kosjitov

My attitude and mannerisms change when I am asked to do a reading. It's kind of weird and I hadn't thought about it until the last 2 people asked me and I caught what I sounded/felt like.

During the "rules" phase, where I explain what I will and won't do (no readings on physical ills, legal issues, ect ect) I come across stern and my voice is very firm, devoid of emotion. These are not negotiable and I think my voice reflects the seriousness of the situation and the lack of wiggle room. Forbidding, direct, cold. "This is my line, you will not cross it, ever."

During the next phase where I explain a bit about myself and where I am in tarot, and that I am learning, my voice is a middle. It's not inviting yet, it's not soft, but it conveys that unsteadiness of someone who hasn't done much reading for others. It's also about this point that I tell them I do not require a fee and that if they feel compelled to compensate me, they should consider donating to Breast Cancer this month.

When it comes to the reading phase, I've only had the chance to do this once or twice with a coworker. My voice doesn't get warm and comforting like I want it to. It kind of hangs out around an intellectual tone, thoughtful when I'm pondering the spread, but still kind of cold. It's only when the reader interacts with me and asks questions that I think they'd hear a softer tone from me if at all.

Kinda stinks for me. With very close friends I'm gushy warm and use little voices and whatnot to cheer people up. It just doesn't seem to cross into tarot territory though ="

tarotbear

Wouldn't you love to have had Orson Wells do your reading? Or Leonard Nimoy? I have a Tarot VHS tape narrated by Christopher Lee.

Who's voice would I NOT want to hear giving a Tarot reading?

Woody Allen
Ethel Merman
Gilbert Gottleib
Leslie Jordan
Marjorie Main

Penthasilia

Ohhhh- give me Alan Rickman any day. That man could read the newspaper to me and I would drool. Probably wouldn't get a thing out of the reading- but would still pay for the experience :D

Wouldn't you love to have had Orson Wells do your reading? Or Leonard Nimoy? I have a Tarot VHS tape narrated by Christopher Lee.

Who's voice would I NOT want to hear giving a Tarot reading?

Woody Allen
Ethel Merman
Gilbert Gottleib
Leslie Jordan
Marjorie Main

Penthasilia

Ohhh- and add Gilbert Godfrey to my lists of NOT!!!!

tarotbear

Channelling Orson Wells ....

I actually can read with a warm voice. {All those years of theatre, ya know!} However, putting on an act is one thing and being real is quite another. (Example: everyone knows how to make 'fun' of Julia Child, but can anyone ((besides Meryl Streep)) sound like Julia Child?) My biggest criticism of myself is that I know my voice can move into a higher register than I would like. It's one thing to sing that way, but another to speak that way. On stage I find myself consciously (that is what rehearsals are for) 'darkening' my voice because it will get loud and high as I get excited.

I particularly dislike how my voice sounds on a tape recording and I will admit that I feel that digital recording brings out the warmer tones in a voice. You can hear me speak if you go to my Youtube 'Tarotbear Channel' and watch some of my videos.

Amanda

:laugh:

Did I misunderstand your meaning of "voice"? Because I thought you meant 'unique presence' and not the actual voice. LOL If you were talking about the actual voice, I guess I have no comment, because I've rarely used my voice to give readings. I'm thinking waaay back to when I was learning and reading through the books for people that would let me practice on them, and kind of piecing things together and telling them what I thought it might mean and letting them weigh in. And I have a somewhat deep and reserved kind of voice sometimes... JSNYC witnessed it... but sometimes it's higher pitched and chipper (when I can get a word in edge-wise, JSNYC ;) ). LOL

KMilliron

I did mean presence, haha. But I second Alan Rickman, put Bill Cosby on my list of voice no-nos :D