PDA

View Full Version : not a suggestion, a ??

catti
07-08-2003, 13:38
i have noticed that although the forum contains people from all over the world we use English as common language and i have no problem with that. But in a recent thread i started talking with someone in portugal using this mixture of portugues and spanish ( spanglese ? as opposed to spanglish ?? um nevermind)
anyway
what i was wondering is that a breach of etiquette? are we supposed to keep it in English so everyone can understand? i think in the future i would probably pm the person but at the time they seemed more comfortable posting w/me in another language...
what do you think?
thank you
catti

wavebreaker
07-08-2003, 15:38
As you already said yourself: this is an international forum with people from all over the world with different native languages, and English seems to work best as a common language. So to answer your question: yes, please keep it in English so everyone can understand. ;)

Nobody will mind an occasional sentence in another language though, as long as the gist of your post is still clear for those who don't speak that language. As long as you're not going to have whole conversations in another language so nobody has a clue what you're talking about. After all, this is a discussion forum to share knowledge and experience, and the idea is to share it with everyone. ;)

If you want to talk to someone using your own native language, it's best to use private messages or email, as you already suggested yourself.

Indigo_lady
07-08-2003, 16:11
Lets say you're in a group of people. You're all having a lively discussion about X topic, and suddenly you and the person next to you start talking in a different language, whether it's to clarify something that has been said, to comment on something or just to crack a joke (usually the kind of jokes that only make sense in your mother tongue)

Some people around you might perceive that as rude, since they feel you are excluding them...

actually the politically correct term for this whole thing is *offensive*, but honestly I detest that word for it has become totally overrated nowadays YUCK

anyways, going back to what I was saying I guess the same thing applies if in the middle of a thread you start jumping from a topic to the other

Yet, I don't see any wrong in starting a thread from the beggining in order to discuss tarot in XYZ language. I mean, the suscriber area of the forums is not something viewed as negatively exclusive, I don't see why this would be... of course, if it were done the proper way

The reason I'm rambling on about this is the following: lately I've been looking up tarot sites that are as helpfull and complete as Aeclectic in Spanish, and sadly enough it has been pretty useless. Of course Tarot cards are going to be the same no matter what your native language is, and personally I don't need a Spanish site in order to understand it better, but in order to be more helpful when I'm reading for someone who doesn't speak English... Sounds silly but to get fluent in Tarot in Spanish...

I guess if you speak more than one language, or you've switched from schooling in one language to another, you might be able to see my point.

I am so used to thinking and speaking tarot in English that when I sit down and try to explain something in Spanish I have problems conveying the message ( and Spanish IS my mother tongue )

Overall I guess I'm just trying to point out the pros and the cons oof cultural diversity ... hehehehhee

btw Catti I did see that post , nice tecnique ;)

Aerin
07-08-2003, 16:59
Originally posted by Indigo_lady
Lets say you're in a group of people. You're all having a lively discussion about X topic, and suddenly you and the person next to you start talking in a different language, whether it's to clarify something that has been said, to comment on something or just to crack a joke (usually the kind of jokes that only make sense in your mother tongue)

Some people around you might perceive that as rude, since they feel you are excluding them...

I have experienced this. When I was at college, one of the other physicists was Welsh. We'd be in someone's room chatting and if another Welsh person came in the room she would immediately stop talking in English and the two would begin a conversation in Welsh. Anyone else could only look on in silence. She'd do this however many other people were with her so she couldn't even plead that you could carry on another conversation (anyway, you would have had to shout over her to do so).

It felt as if she wanted to exclude everyone else who was there. And yes, rude not to mention insensitive.

I love the diversity on the board. I also like it when people say something in their native tongue and then immediately translate it, I wouldn't however like it if essentially private conversations were carried out on a public forum.

Aerin

ps she also wanted only Welsh people at Welsh universities. She used to go very quiet if you asked what she was doing at an English university.

catti
08-08-2003, 10:10
so the consensus is if you are going to use another language translate into english too. Actually i think it is a good idea, if a little more typing, that way those of us can pick up a little of whatever language is being used because we already have the context part. And people whose english skills arent as strong can express themselves more completely
Indigo what sites did you find in spanish, i'd be interested
muchismas gracias : thanks alot :-)
catti

Indigo_lady
08-08-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by catti

Indigo what sites did you find in spanish, i'd be interested
muchismas gracias : thanks alot :-)
catti

Nada...

Nothing really worth mentioning :(

Very frustrating

Ironic though, because before I would have thought it would have been the other way around...