Scents that CHILL, Scents that THRILL

greatdane

What are your favorite scents for chilling out and calming? Mine is definitely lavender. Although the combined scents in some teas, like chamomile and lemon balm, just the scent rising from the cup can feel peaceful!

What are your favorites for when you want to feel especially happy, energized or alluring?
For a single scent, patchouli, but has to be the right patchouli brand for me. To get energized, a peppermint or spearmint smell (or coffee!). I'll think of more I'm sure.

ATers? So what scents chill and thrill you?

Bhavana

I like lavender too - but especially love the scent of lemon. Not industrial cleaning lemon, but real lemon. So refreshing.

greatdane

So with you there, bhavana!

HATE chemical impersonations of scents. Often gives me a headache. BUT REAL LEMON! YUM! I cut it up and put in the garbage disposal. Makes the whole kitchen smell great.

Tuilirose

I came across an article the other day that said the following inhalation oils stimulate the pituitary to increase the production of HGH (human growth hormone).

Sandalwood, frankincense, myrrh, peppermint.

I have no idea what the scientific rational for this is, the article did not go into that. It sounded interesting though, and what the heck, I have no problem with sniffing a little peppermint! lol

The other three scents, sandalwood, frankincense, and myrrh, I cannot place just thinking about the names. I will have to try the testers the next time I go into the health food store.
They sound very biblical though, perhaps they are mixed into that scent that gets waved around in the church, and the keepers of religious lore have actually been on to this secret all this time!

greatdane

OH THANKS for that Tuilirose!

Sandalwood I can place, but Myrrh? When is the last time anyone has smelled myrrh? Maybe lots of people use it, but I don't remember smelling it.

But hey, aromatherapy by any other name, has health benefits right? Can't hurt to please the senses and maybe help the physical body as well!

tarotbear

Do you smell more than I do?

Olfactory senses are so crazy! Remember - we smell with a smeller that is the size of a postage stamp and your dog's is the size of a handkerchief!

Years and years ago there was a great Brit special called 'How Much Do You Smell?' and it was on smell, scent, and sense of smell ... it was fun and informative~!

Personally, I DETEST the smell of lavendar! :bugeyed: Hate it! I am not allergic to it; just can't stand the smell, real or chemical.

I sleep with a CPAP (Continous Positive Air Pressure) machine, so I breathe air that is warmed by water all night. It is highly NOT recommended to add anything to the water! Too Bad! If someone could bottle the smell of clean clothes blown dry on a line in fresh air ... I would love to breathe that all night. :heart:

The crowned one

I enjoy many many scents. Burning wood, the ocean, air dried clothes. A favourite scent of mine is Aloeswood but it is one of ever changing list of top 50 smells.

Bhavana

HATE chemical impersonations of scents. Often gives me a headache. BUT REAL LEMON! YUM! I cut it up and put in the garbage disposal. Makes the whole kitchen smell great.

I do this too!! And I love any food with lemon in it...then there is Avalon Organics Lemon body lotion, shampoo and conditioner...mmmmm...lemon heaven.

Bhavana

I do this too!! And I love any food with lemon in it...then there is Avalon Organics Lemon body lotion, shampoo and conditioner...mmmmm...lemon heaven.

The crowned one mentioned the ocean, and there is nothing that smells better than that - but as for "perfume" type scents, I only wear one - Egyptian Musk Oil. Clean, fresh, very distinctive - but as of yet, I am the only white girl I know that wears it.

greatdane

Ah so true!

The best scents are the "real" ones! Clean clothes, the ocean, burning wood, sigh.....I WILL smell burning wood soon enough. In the area I'm in nearly everyone has and uses their fireplace. GREAT smells of all different woods burning, I especially love mesquite.