La Carte Della Fortuna - pig in a poke??

Rhinemaiden

Le Carte Della Fortuna - treasure or pig in a poke??

I ran across a HCIN (how could I not?) deal this morning for an Italian deck called La Carte Della Fortuna by Modiano... and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=B001GUSH12/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

Does anyone have this deck? Use it? Want to tell me about it?

Did I buy a pig in a poke??? (I know the LWB is in Italian, but I can muddle through and on the cards are multi-language descriptions of the meanings)

cardlady22

I have this deck, but haven't done much with it. The "instructions" are Italian, printed on extra cards in my copy. WolfyJames and Gavriela are the 2 names that pop into my head regarding sibilla type decks. I can't find the thread, but I'm remembering a conversation where French vs Italian was mentioned.

Rhinemaiden

Thanks, CL... I look forward to seeing the deck. If nothing else, I'll enjoy the art. I am a fan of 1930's art...

cardlady22

some details

There are 4 "consultant" cards ~ 2 man, 2 woman (numbered 53 - 56)

There is a table that says
Aura della Terra :diamond: quadri - denari
Aura dell'Acqua :heart: cuori - coppe
Aura del Fuoco :club: fiori - bastoni
Aura dell'Acqua :spade: picche - spade

:heart: numbered 1 - 13; party, house, visit, love, good news, money, intellectuality, hope, fidelity, constancy, lover, sweetheart, lord
:diamond: numbered 14 - 26; loss, letter, gifts, falsehood, melancholy, thoughts, child, foreign woman, sportsmanship, thief, message, some money, treasure
:club: numbered 27 - 39; wedding, journey, pride, friends, joy, profit, good luck, relax, gladness, unstableness, servants, maid, physician
:spade: numbered 40 - 52; displeasure, widow, widower, illness, death, sigh, calamity, jealousy, prison, uniform, enemy, rival, clergyman

ordered Ace, 2, 3 . . . 10, Jack, Queen, King

:diamond: = Terra
:heart: = Aria
:club: = Fuoco
:spade: = Acqua

But in another area for layouts/spreads, it is saying:

Aura del Fuoco = fiori - bastoni
Aura dell' Acqua = picche - spade
Aura della Terra = quadri - denari
Aura dell' Aria = cuori - coppe

Not sure what they actually intended- misprints?

Cerulean

Shades of Eudes Picard...

Diamonds, coins and denari, using Italian suits, are earth element.

I thought the hearts, coppe, cups were air.

Spades, swords, picche is water.

Clubs, bastani, wands are fire.

Modiano's old fashioned Dr. Maurius circa 1940s, 1950's instructions do have an oldish flavor and some of the elements reminded me of the oldish Eudes Picard assognments of suits for tarot from the Occult Encyclopediia. Modiano's assignment of keywords for their deck cards seemed similar to the Modiano 184 or Cagliostro tarot minors assignments...I did a keyword comparison list...will link to it later.

Curious cartomancy of Italian style...the illustrations can seem to vary from vintage to cartoons...

Cerulean

:heart: numbered 1 - 13; party, house, visit, love, good news, money, intellectuality, hope, fidelity, constancy, lover, sweetheart, lord
:diamond: numbered 14 - 26; loss, letter, gifts, falsehood, melancholy, thoughts, child, foreign woman, sportsmanship, thief, message, some money, treasure
:club: numbered 27 - 39; wedding, journey, pride, friends, joy, profit, good luck, relax, gladness, unstableness, servants, maid, physician
:spade: numbered 40 - 52; displeasure, widow, widower, illness, death, sigh, calamity, jealousy, prison, uniform, enemy, rival, clergyman

Cerulean

Shades of Eudes Picard...oops duplicate

...will have to delete this later and add link to something else....

Diamonds, coins and denari, using Italian suits, are earth element.

I thought the hearts, coppe, cups were air.

Spades, swords, picche is water.

Clubs, bastani, wands are fire.

Modiano's old fashioned instructions in older versions are atributed to a Dr. Maurius circa 1940s, 1950's . The instructions do have an oldish flavor and some of the elements reminded me of the oldish Eudes Picard assignments of suits for tarot from the Occult Encyclopediia. Modiano's assignment of keywords for their deck cards seemed similar to the Modiano 184 or Cagliostro tarot minors assignments...I did a keyword comparison list...will link to it later.

Curious cartomancy of Italian style...the illustrations can seem to vary from vintage to cartoons...

Cerulean

Pollux

Alida should have them in stock...

It's weird, cups generally are hearts and Water, while Spades/Swords is Picche that is Air...

I wonder if it is meant to be the other way around or a misprint?
From what you report, there's Acqua (Water) mentioned twice while Air is never mentioned.

Rhinemaiden

thanks for all the comments... still waiting for my deck to arrive so I can match it to what everyone has said. :)

-------------------

my Le Carte Della Fortuna deck arrived... an unexpected treat. Cards are the size of Pixie's Lenormand (same height as a standard Bicycle poker card, but slightly narrower)...good card stock. The art is 1930's European style art deco... reminds me of watching a classic movie, a colorized Dinner at Eight? The LWB is on printed cards, as a previous poster mentioned, and is in Italian. However, the interpretations are printed on each card in several languages including English. I can envision using this deck for a daily one card draw. All in all, a good purchase.