Addendum to "Mardi Gras" thread

tarotbear

I am not sure if this should be here or not - mods please move if so!

The second year I did readings at the Mardi Gras, I had a woman hang around my booth who was very interested in what I was doing but did not want a reading - but she wanted a 'professional opinion.'

I don't recall exactly what type of reading she had other than it was not Tarot. The upshot was that she had planned a vacation in Florida and had all the details set and paid for, and was all ready to go. During the course of her 'reading', the reader chose an unfortunate turn of phrase and said to her: 'YOUR LIFE IS GOING TO COME CRASHING DOWN AROUND YOU.' Since she was going to take a flight to Florida, she got so scared she canceled her trip.

I looked at her incredulously.
"You canceled your entire trip?"
YES.
"Did the plane you would have been on crash?" {thinking about the flight that went down in the Everglades}
NO.
"Did you go to Florida by a different route - bus, train?"
NO.
"So, someone said 'Your life would come crashing down' and you canceled a trip and nothing happened anyway?"
YES.
"Do you feel a little silly?"
YES.

We all say things in the course of a reading that can be very cliched, or just things you spouted off the top of your head. What would you have said if this woman had related the story to you? What do you think of her reader?

Ivy Rhiannon

Interesting. I mean I speak in metaphors a lot and when you are this way I guess you don't realize some can hang on your every word and take it literally. But is she silly? I don't think so. Perhaps there were other reasons she shouldn't have gone and when she heard the "crashing down around you" phrase perhaps she gave herself permission not to go. Maybe if she would have went (butterfly effect here) the plane would have crashed. Did you ask her if she had any other experiences that could signify the "crashing"?

tarotbear

No, that was years ago, and I only talked to her for 5-10 minutes.

nisaba

Who knows - if she was in a long-term relationship, and she had made that trip, and had met someone irresistable ... perhaps her life *would* have come crashing down around her.

Mine has at times, when I've done ordinary stuff without doing a reading first. Even, once, when I was about to enter into a relationship, pulled a few cards, saw dishonesty, theft and misery, made a value-judgement that I was rescuing the person from that instead of seeing them as bringing it into my life, and going ahead anyway. (They brought it into my life.)