Emotions and Using Tarot Cards

Zechariah13

Hey everybody.

Well, if you didnt see my other update, i just came out last week. Needless to say, emotions are running wonky, and i find myself dealing with a sort of dull depression, where i want to do readings and work the Craft, but i'd rather not do anything because it's kinda like if i do anything, i might start sinking into the mud and im doing everything i can just to keep moving as the ground starts turning into liquid (metaphorically, of course.)

Anyway, the point of my question, is that i just keep feeling like my emotions are gonna affect my readings, and i can't even pull energy together to work anything. It's kinda like i dont wanna talk to anyone, least of all the Cards or the Gods. I don't really know how to handle it.

I know this isnt a pagan forum, so i dont expect everyone to answer that question, but does anyone have any advice on dealing with down emotions and keeping them from interfering with cards? I don't know how to just jump into it again. So any advice you give me would be lovely. Thanks all y'all

GryffinSong

When I'm feeling all wildly all over the place, rather than use tarot in the normal way, I simply pull a card or two from a positive, encouraging oracle. I sometimes use tarot this way too, but only with a nice, friendly deck. I'll ask something like, "how can I be gentle with myself?" or "can you help me feel strong today?"

Or, and this is often even more powerful ... I'll sort through a positive deck and consciously pull out a card that I find particularly powerful at that moment. Then I put that card up in a prominent place to remind myself to stay strong, or that I'm loved, or whatever the message is that I need to hear that day to hold things together.

Hugs and best of luck to you!!! :heart:

Zechariah13

When I'm feeling all wildly all over the place, rather than use tarot in the normal way, I simply pull a card or two from a positive, encouraging oracle. I sometimes use tarot this way too, but only with a nice, friendly deck. I'll ask something like, "how can I be gentle with myself?" or "can you help me feel strong today?"
I will probably do that, but my only oracle is Gods and Titans. I've been pulling Set [chaos] recently. The GoT has both gentility and severity.

Or, and this is often even more powerful ... I'll sort through a positive deck and consciously pull out a card that I find particularly powerful at that moment. Then I put that card up in a prominent place to remind myself to stay strong, or that I'm loved, or whatever the message is that I need to hear that day to hold things together.

Hugs and best of luck to you!!! :heart:
hmm, im gonna have to see if any of my vampires want to be cheery. My fairies are a bit too chaotic for emotional support, and nothing warms the cochles of my heart like bloodsplatters ;) .

Thanks for the advice. do you have any ideas on how not to let bad emotions interefere with interps?

Bhavana

I think sometimes you just have to go thru those emotions, let them flood thru you, and just try not to lose it...stay calm, focus on treating yourself well, do the things that relax you and spend time with the people who care about you and accept you unconditionally. Eventually you will come out on the other side....then go on with life until the next roller coaster ride, right???

As for the cards, yes I do feel that strong emotion can have influence on reading...Gryffinsong's suggestions are good, just use the cards to explore your own feelings, while you focus on getting thru this phase. Don't overwhelm yourself. Don't do full complicated readings where your state of mind might make you freak out over any less than positive cards.. Best wishes to you. Whatever it is that you came out about, I think it is a good thing to face the world as your true self, instead of hiding important things about you. It might be hard for your friends and family to deal with, but that is their problem - and at least you will find out who the one's are that really care about you and will stay by your side.

Jes

Sometimes I just pull cards, and feel them. Feel what they say, I dont get a reading out of it i just work withthe feelings in the cards. Sometimes it helps me to identify the feelings enought to get rid of them.

i think the idea of going through your deck (be it tarot or oracle) and choosing a card that gives you strength or something positive for the day is great.

Best of luck, I am thinking about you and sending big comforting hugs.

Soaring Eagle

I think sometimes you just have to go thru those emotions, let them flood thru you, and just try not to lose it...stay calm, focus on treating yourself well, do the things that relax you and spend time with the people who care about you and accept you unconditionally. Eventually you will come out on the other side....then go on with life until the next roller coaster ride, right???

As for the cards, yes I do feel that strong emotion can have influence on reading...Gryffinsong's suggestions are good, just use the cards to explore your own feelings, while you focus on getting thru this phase. Don't overwhelm yourself. Don't do full complicated readings where your state of mind might make you freak out over any less than positive cards.. Best wishes to you.

I agree with Bhavana. Sometimes you just have to ride the emotions. That doesn't mean that you can't also try to relax, meditate if you like to meditate. Eventually these emotions will pass.

I also agree that emotions can affect your readings. I definately wouldn't try doing readings for anyone while your emotions are running high. Not only because your emotions will affect the cards drawn, but because you won't be able to properly interpret them. If you understand what I'm trying to say. ie. you draw swords (any card) and only see death, or you draw cups and only see drowning. Not saying you would, but you COULD. My example is very extreme, but just to give you an idea.

Best of luck to you.

Dan181

It has been awhile since I last read my cards, and i have forgotten some of the basic meanings. This might not help you with the emotional side but it would be something simple that does not require a lot of thinking and would help keep focus on the reading and keep your mind engaged on the cards.
I have been doing quick three card spreads and only using the "little white book" one sentence meaning or three keywords for a quick anwser. The postitions are, the past or "Who", The now or "what", the next or the "when". If something triggers a "?", then a forth card or "why". I would as multiple "singe questons", one at a time and would only spend about two mintues on the spread and then move on to the next queston. The meaning of spread, might make up the next queston. I would shuffle the deck four times then cut the cards. The one sentance meaning would allow me to interpate the card without digging in my notes for a deeper meaning. I would only "look at my notes" if i need a deeper look if the cards started showing a trend.

PAMUYA

Just put your cards away. When you are ready you will know and take them out. Take time to meditate and work through your emotions. When you are unbalanced emotionally you cannot hear the whispers of your intuition, your readings and how you see the cards will be off. Take time to work through your problems, when you pick up the cards again you will see them in a whole new light.

I have gone through periods where I have put my cards away for months at a time. It only made me stronger.

Zechariah13

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm actually beginning to feel a bit better, and i hope i can get started with my cards soon, as i am starting to miss them :(

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom, they all helped

SunChariot

Hey everybody.

Well, if you didnt see my other update, i just came out last week. Needless to say, emotions are running wonky, and i find myself dealing with a sort of dull depression, where i want to do readings and work the Craft, but i'd rather not do anything because it's kinda like if i do anything, i might start sinking into the mud and im doing everything i can just to keep moving as the ground starts turning into liquid (metaphorically, of course.)

Anyway, the point of my question, is that i just keep feeling like my emotions are gonna affect my readings, and i can't even pull energy together to work anything. It's kinda like i dont wanna talk to anyone, least of all the Cards or the Gods. I don't really know how to handle it.

I know this isnt a pagan forum, so i dont expect everyone to answer that question, but does anyone have any advice on dealing with down emotions and keeping them from interfering with cards? I don't know how to just jump into it again. So any advice you give me would be lovely. Thanks all y'all

I don't think anyone can read well when they are feeling really emotional.

My advice if you can is to get another reader to read for you and ask advice on how to lift your mood so you can get back to yourself and to reading.

Babs