Another version of the Albano Waite

Le Fanu

I came across a Brazilian version of the Rider Waite Smith deck today published by "Artha" publishers in Rio Grande do Sul. I bought it just for completism's sake. However, when I opened it up it seems to me to be a version not of the standard RWS but another version of the Albano Waite. I have done some scans of key cards and what is nice is how it doesn't have the U.S Games copyright symbol on it. Very naughty perhaps but nice for those of us who get distracted by it niggling in the corner.

It is available as a 78 card deck and also as a Majors only set. I bought a copy of both.

Nothing more of note; just wanted to register its existence here. Thought someone might find it of interest! :)

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,748

Le Fanu

Oh and the boxes; the 78 card version is on the left, Majors only on the right.

Attachments

• scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 475

gregory

That looks a lot like a rather lurid one that turned up a while ago... but I am going to bed. I will look later....

Sulis

Ooh that looks interesting - I really like the Albano Waite.
What are the backs and the lamination like on the 78 card version?

Le Fanu

Ooh that looks interesting - I really like the Albano Waite.
What are the backs and the lamination like on the 78 card version?
You wouldn't like it, dear Sulis. Highly laminated on the front and then strangely, nicely rough on the back. Nice back design, a kind of blue swirliness but the frontal lamination would kill it for you ;)

Sulis

Awww now that's a shame but you're right, I really do not like heavy, super-shiny lamination.

Laura Borealis

That looks a lot like a rather lurid one that turned up a while ago... but I am going to bed. I will look later....

Was it this one? Not the same, but maybe part of a general trend of brightly saturated bootlegged Rider-Waites. :p

jackdaw*

Maybe it's just me, but the colours in scans look more like the University Books lurid colouring than the Albano Waite. But I can't seem to find any Wands or Pentacles cards, where the orange and green skies would be a giveaway.

Lee

I think jackdaw* is right. Doesn't the Albano-Waite Temperance have a rainbow in the sky, between the wings?