I need a pep talk :-/

BelovedK

I am reading for a few hours at a festival tomorrow. I am a bit nervous about it, not sure why. It has been a while since I have read at a festival and I am just worried about drawing a blank. I just want people to get their money's worth. It is a benefit and I am doing mini readings, so I will need to be quick.

For some reason, I do better when I read for 1/2 hour or longer.

Anyone have a pep talk for me>??? :)

hopeballard

You go for it girl!

Oh, I love reading in that type of venue, I love the people, I love the fast pace, I love the variety of people and questions! Think of this as a fun adventure, a change of pace for yourself!! Being able to be diverse with your skill set is really important and this will help you be more flexible and more versatile! Draw two cards for yourself...one card is DO and one card is AVOID or Don't DO to give you advice on how to conduct your readings!

Zechariah13

Yay! i get to try out my pep talking skills!
(clears throat pretentiously)
YOU CAN DOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
consider yourself pepped ;)

BelovedK

Oh, I love reading in that type of venue, I love the people, I love the fast pace, I love the variety of people and questions! Think of this as a fun adventure, a change of pace for yourself!! Being able to be diverse with your skill set is really important and this will help you be more flexible and more versatile! Draw two cards for yourself...one card is DO and one card is AVOID or Don't DO to give you advice on how to conduct your readings!

Now, that helps, thank you. I am sure it will be a lot of fun, and I do have a timer to keep the readings from going over time (they require it.)

Yay! i get to try out my pep talking skills!
(clears throat pretentiously)
YOU CAN DOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
consider yourself pepped ;)
I am on my way to feeling pepped :D

Sakabu

It has been a while since I have read at a festival and I am just worried about drawing a blank. I just want people to get their money's worth. It is a benefit and I am doing mini readings, so I will need to be quick.

Make sure you get something out of it too. I used to do New Years for a group of people over mic and that always felt so beneficial, not only for me giving back something for others in the year but also to help others benefit from any new energy that may be emerging for them. I prefer my own pace too so I know how you feel.

If it helps, see if maybe having a consistent theme or frame of mind can help you better connect. For example, like the New Years thing kinda gave me a frame of mind, which was to give a positive message and stick to a certain time frame. That will help you have more energy for the more complicated ones too where you need to shift focus more. Ask yourself too, why are you a reader? That's just something to think about in general. I think if you have a clear purpose in mind and know why you're there, it's easier to 'do your thing'. You've probably already had some sort of mantra or reading style you followed, it's just do what feels right for you and serves your capability best. You won't get blocked if you're doing something that is already natural to you, make sense?

Draw two cards for yourself...one card is DO and one card is AVOID or Don't DO to give you advice on how to conduct your readings!

I think this is a great idea too. Maybe stick to a similar thread for all the querents? Maybe design a specific thread (test it out first) for the event? Just some ideas... anyway, just use threads to your advantage! Maybe bring a 'back up' deck in case one isn't working.

Good luck!

Trogon

I've been nervous before readings a time or two also. But, the readings will flow in spite of it. I'm anxious to hear how it all turned out though ... I'm really hoping it was exciting and fun for you!

Est

Good luck! Hope it goes really well for you and the querents and you all have the most wonderful, fun time! :heart:

minotaur

pep talk

You will be fine. I suspect the only problem you have will be keeping the readings short enough.

Have a timer. If your readings are going to be fifteen minutes, set it for thirteen. When it goes off keep reading a couple more minutes in a summary. Turn over the cards and put the deck back together when the timer goes off. Do your summary with no face up cards. That way the reading comes to a clear end.

Don't ask them if they have any more questions. In a longer reading you would but in short readings this is asking for trouble. When you finish the reading thank them and you are done.

If you have some nice, inexpensive rocks bring them. It is a good way to finish a short reading to give them something as you thank them..."Here, I think this rock feels right for you". You can also give them a business card or other give away. A gift brings the reading to an END.

The two card idea is very good. YOU shuffle...just let them cut once. Take the top cards of each pile and turn them over on their respective piles. If you let them shuffle you will get way slowed down...some people shuffle forever.

If you can set things up on a tall table, like a small round bar table. You have a chair, they don't. For a short reading they can stand. Some people are really hard to get out of a chair once they are in it. This may not be possible but take a look and see if you can do it.

Set up your booth so they are facing the line and can see the people waiting. That will keep them moving along a bit better.

You decide if you want the death card in there...in a short reading this can make things too interesting. There are people that are passionate about both sides of this idea.

Remember, your doubts are only in your head. People coming to you will know you are a wonderful reader because you are there...that's all you need to remember.

BelovedK

Thank you kind people <3

I am excited about getting to read for many people. I am a bit less nervous today. I decided on the two decks I am taking, and I will also bring my pendulum. I wish I could find some small stones to give away, that is a good idea.

I decided on my Druid Craft and Victorian Romantic. I hope no one minds shuffling larger cards, they are the ones that are speaking to me (as always.)