What do you use your decks for?

Zechariah13

Ok, im hoping that i am not repeating an old thread, but im curious. For those of you who have multiple decks, do some decks work better for you for some readings than others? I would like to start a discussion on this, as i find it an interesting topic.

I guess i'll start out.
I have 4 Tarot Decks

Tarot of the Vampyres is the deck i work the best with. I find it works best with dealing with secrets or revealing internal emotions. As i prefer to word it, the Vampyres work best when dealing with subjects "shrouded in darkness" where darkness can be secrecy or negative emotions or whatever. Either way, it is my best deck for assessing energies at any given moment. Likewise, it is the deck i use most often if i use a deck for pagan practice. I find the icons to mesh very well with my ideas of God and Goddess, and it resonates with me there.

Shadowscapes and i have an odd history. Usually, i cannot use this deck. If i try to use it for the same things i use my Vampyres for, it runs around in circles and says nonsense (that is to say there is absolutely NO intuitive or empathic reaction to what im seeing with this deck). But recently, i found 3 exceptions. This deck is GREAT for dealing with spirits. Spirit guides, pestering spirits and elementals, they all make more sense when i try to discern about them with this deck. Secondly, this deck is better for dealing with material happenings, i.e events, changes, material things, objects etc... Finally, this deck is the ONLY deck that i can use for my friend A. All my other decks either hate him, or go wonky for weeks after he touches them. But my faries like him (which is funny because he likes faeries and i bought the deck to use for him).

I also have a deck whose name i do not know, that i assume is a RWS clone. THis deck is most useful when i just need an answer, and not any deeper information. Simple Questions: "Is this a good idea", "What will happen down this road" etc... THis is odd, as this makes this deck the FIRST one i've had which is really any good at predicting. I find that very odd, as i am no good at predicting in general

Necronomicon Tarot is a new addition to my set. I dont know what to do with this one most of the time, but i know that when i do readings, i tend to get shivers. I do NOT usually get shivers. I need to experiment more, but i find the darkness of this deck is best for showing nittygritty the worst-case scenario of any situation. But it usually doesnt lie. Still working on this.

So, these are my stories. anyone else have these kinds of experiences with their cards?

vee

I have a lot of decks. :laugh: But some of my favorites....

At the moment:

Roots of Asia is my study deck.
Tarot of the Cloisters is my weekly reading deck and I can already tell it's going to turn into a quick answers/reading for people kind of deck.

In general:

Kitchen Tarot is my "comfort" deck. Like, it's the only deck I'll turn to if I"m just downright depressed and I want an image to focus on to cheer me up.

Bohemian Gothic is a writing deck and also a deck I turn to when I have a question I know is going to be complex. I find it's not a great deck for quick readings, but it's good for reflections.

DruidCraft is my long-standing favorite, the one that I'll do readings for other people with the most because I know it so well.

Shadowscapes is a great deck for daily draws. It's not one that I like for readings, actually, but I love drawing a card and really thinking about it. I feel similarly about my study deck, Roots of Asia.

Zechariah13

Shadowscapes is a great deck for daily draws. It's not one that I like for readings, actually, but I love drawing a card and really thinking about it.

ooohhh, i never thought of that. But those ARE some really rich images. the 7 of cups is one of my favoirtes.

caridwen

Propping up my coffee table:shhh:

AJ

Mine are used as ballast to keep my home from floating away.

It sounds like you are well on your way to having a diverse deck library sorted by use, theme, and art.

I'm further down the road than you so at least 1/2 of what I've purchased have already been dropped over the side. What remains is all users regardless of theme or art.

And I've just put a couple of pretties that weren't workers in the trading forum.

caridwen

And I've just put a couple of pretties that weren't workers in the trading forum.

ooohhh pretties!! Off to the Trading Forum on my flying monkey!:laugh:

KMilliron

I let my friends borrow my decks, that's what most of them are being used for. I use my Necronomicon the most and for more psychological questions really.

Zechariah13

I use my Necronomicon the most and for more psychological questions really.

really? i have a problem doing that. I keep seeing the darkest aspect of everything when i try.

KMilliron

really? i have a problem doing that. I keep seeing the darkest aspect of everything when i try.

The song "Butterfly" by Asian Kung Fu Generation just popped in my head. The song lyrics are in Japanese (considering the band is Japanese, this makes sense, amirite?) and it was such a beautiful song I just HAD to find the English lyrics, which isn't something I do with a lot of non-English songs mind you.

The lyrics (which I had guessed had to do with letting something go) were amazing. They were actually about changing from an ugly caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly, and the insane, and literally gut churning, changes one had to go through into to become a butterfly. The one phrase that was catchy, "Oreru" if I recall, translated into I break. The beauty found in being a butterfly was too much for someone who wasn't used to it.

How that relates into this post, is that the opposite could also be true. I've had a negative past, so positive readings or moments can be too much for me and I tend to freeze up. Too much darkness would seem to be just that, too much darkness, to someone who's eyes have yet to adjust to the point of being able to see the lighter aspects of things.

Some creatures live in the dark, and some are day dwellers. Their eyes will adjust accordingly.

Does that make sense, or do I seem to be rambling?

metatron3

Bookmarks ...
When I don't agree with cards, I used them as bookmarks. I don't have any since I left my ugly collection in Canada. So, I used my Clow Cards for a year or so as bookmarks in all the books I read. :/
When I finally decided to use them, I felt they were too metaphysical and way too up in the clouds, so they went back in the books since it is not the kind of question you ask everyday ...

Now, I got a use of them and my Radiant RWS is mad at me and the Sakura Cards ( the pink version of the Clow ) are calling me. And I didn't quite understand them. But ! I have books to read ... I think my next bookmarks will be pink >)

Otherwise, since I have only one deck, I just use my Radiant RWS for all kind of questions. I don't know yet how I'll manage multiple decks. Hm.