Impossible natal chart aspects...

MareSaturni

Hi again!

During my basic Astronomical studies... that I am doing so I can understand what I am actually seeing in a chart... I realized that Mercury and Venus, because of their position, can never be in opposition to the Sun. A Square (90º) is not possible as well, because Mercury and Venus are never more than 28º and 47º away from the Sun, respectively. Trines (120º) and Sextiles (60º) are also not possible...

And it's interesting that not a single book that I recall reading (I mean, those basic cookbooks) mentions this very basic thing. Maybe it's so obvious it needs not be mentioned. I don't think it is, but perhaps I am obtuse. But the fact is that these books give paragraphs of meanings for these very aspects that cannot exist in a natal chart. Of course, I know they can happen in transits and synastry charts, but most of the cookbooks are directed to learning how to cast and interpret a natal chart.

Anyways... do you think there could be any relevance in this in terms of interpretation? I mean, the fact that Venus and Mercury can pretty much only have one Major Aspect with the Sun... could it 'weaken' this aspect somehow?

And does that fact one cannot have a Mercury/Venus opposing or squaring the Sun be a 'lack' of some sorts, in representing the human potential in a natal chart? Or would this 'lack' be easily symbolized by other planets and aspects?

I am not questioning Astrology or trying to start a controversy here.... Just sharing some of the 'food for thought'. For me, these things are fascinating! :)

PS: For those who like to study the Astronomical side too, this site has many good explanations about planet motion, constellations, all explained with pictures and simple language! Very nice! ;)

dadsnook2000

There are natal charts and then there are natal charts.

There is more than one kind of a natal chart when one uses a broader definition. Harmonic charts (3rd, 4th, 5h, 7th, 8th, 9th, etc.) fold the chart over onto itself a given number of times and in those forms of natal charts you can have all kinds of regular aspects. Of course, a trine in a 3rd harmonic and a 4th harmonic chart have different meanings, but the aspect is still there to deal with.

When one talks of "progressions" and "directions", one is essentially dealing with a natal chart that is extended for some number of days into the future, each day representing a year of time in symbolic terms. In such charts the range of likely aspects increase, and Mercury can end up in a square aspect to Venus, for example. Now, one can argue that a progressed or directed chart is not a natal chart, but when you consider that the inner planets, except for the Moon, remain somewhere in their original neighborhood and that the middle-outer planets move very little, such charts can be considered part of the natal chart family. Dave

MareSaturni

There is more than one kind of a natal chart when one uses a broader definition. Harmonic charts (3rd, 4th, 5h, 7th, 8th, 9th, etc.) fold the chart over onto itself a given number of times and in those forms of natal charts you can have all kinds of regular aspects. Of course, a trine in a 3rd harmonic and a 4th harmonic chart have different meanings, but the aspect is still there to deal with.

When one talks of "progressions" and "directions", one is essentially dealing with a natal chart that is extended for some number of days into the future, each day representing a year of time in symbolic terms. In such charts the range of likely aspects increase, and Mercury can end up in a square aspect to Venus, for example. Now, one can argue that a progressed or directed chart is not a natal chart, but when you consider that the inner planets, except for the Moon, remain somewhere in their original neighborhood and that the middle-outer planets move very little, such charts can be considered part of the natal chart family. Dave

Hi Dave!

Thank you for answering! :)

Well, I must confess that I still have not worked with progressed charts, so I must apologize for my ignorance regarding their particularities. Of course, in the way you described it could definitely be considered an extension of the natal chart.

I just wish books were more clear on these details... I think they are important in understanding the motion of the planets we see in a chart. Perhaps it's me, I like knowing the mechanics behind the chart! I realize that the zodiac we use in Astrology is not the Astronomical one, however the planets and celestial bodies are still there, and for me watching them and working with them is magical. When I understand how they function, and how that appear in the chart, I feel more connected with them.

After your explanation I became more interested in learning about progressed chart, and will research a bit about the subject (even if I don't start using them right now).