Questions relating to criminal matters

Anna

A current email client has asked if I will do a reading to find out who is responsible for the theft of a fairly large sum of money. She is suspicious about who it might be, and wants confirmation.

I've had to respond as time was tight, and I've basically said that a tarot reading may help reveal a way to resolve the issues, let go of the difficult emotions and find a way to move forward. However, naming a culprit is not something I am able to do, as theft is a criminal matter and as such it is a matter for the police to deal with. I've offered a refund if this is not acceptable to her.

I am curious to know how others would of handled this question though. I've never been asked anything like this before.

tarotbear

Dear Anna ~

Good Answer. The Querent wants you to help identify a suspect ? ... no - that is what police are for. If she suspects a specific person, she should be telling that information to the police.

Glass Owl

Some time ago I started a thread about the idea of psychics/tarot readers using their abilities to solve crimes. I believe that Tarot can be an useful tool for gaining information about crimes, wrongdoings, and the motivations of others. (Of course, determining the right questions to ask is a big hurdle - but that is for another thread.) For me personally, the Tarot helped me see that a serious wrongdoing was taking place as I was doing the reading and helped me tremendously.

That said, however, a reading shouldn't be a replacement for a police investigation or to avoid going through the proper channels. Plus, readings of this nature can potential stir up a host of problematic issues. What does one do with the information? How should the reader approach the querent with what they see in the cards? What if the reader is mistaken? What if the querent falsely accuses someone and there is a wave of repercussions?

This is why I avoid doing "Is he cheating on me?" readings for other people, the stakes are just too high. But really the decision whether to read on this particular issue or not (including its focus and scope) will have to come down to what you feel you are comfortable with.

nisaba

I don't think anyone's asked me that specific question (could I identify a "suspect"), but I have had cards come up in the context of ordinary general readings when I have identified people who were less than honest in given situations, and in a couple of cases said that the client's next move couldn't be taken until after a police matter or court case was resolved (only to be told afterwards that there was a police or court matter pending).

starrystarrynight

I once had a client, who had apparently committed a fairly substantial (but unnamed) crime, ask me if he was going to get away with it or if he was going to be caught and sent to prison. I gave him my normal spiel about tarot answering Yes/No questions (and, honestly, don't remember what the spread actually revealed), but I never heard from him again, so I couldn't say what the "outcome" was.

But like the others, I would never point a finger at any particular person in a question like this (and don't think tarot has ever revealed that specific type of information--to me, anyway.) For me, tarot has always been more metaphorical and lyrical--and that is how I would explain it to the client, I think.