Crowley's review on the RWS (or vicer versa?)

Zephyros

I seem to dimly remember reading a review Crowley wrote on Waite's deck somewhere, only I can't find it. I remember it being really funny and cynical. Am I imagining it? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Grigori

He did write a couple of reviews on Waite's work, some would be in his Equinox journal and can be found free online in PDF (there is a link in the Thoth section, on my phone so can't find it now, but it's definitely there).

I don't remember reading a review specifically about the RWS, but have read some comments about it. It got much the same reaction as Waite's skill as an author in Crowley's estimation. Brutally slammed as drivel written by a pompous and overly verbose bore (Crowley's words, not mine.. Did I mention they rather disliked each other?)

gregory

I THINK it would perhaps have been in the Equinox. (Oh - a sudden power outage means that grigori got in first with that !)

Encyclopaedia Thelemica said:
Many years later, after Crowley and Waite had been peers in the Golden Dawn, Crowley subjected Waite to numerous scathing reviews in The Equinox, often with the fictitious pretense that Waite was Crowley's "disciple." Crowley even went so far as to publish an obituary for the still-living Waite.

I'll go look in Perdurabo later.

But here is a page or two of interest })

And here's a website detailing much of their rivalry in - lively - terms :)

Zephyros

It may have been about the Pictorial Key then, it was so long ago I can't remember. I hope I won't have to read all the issues of the Equinox to find it, but I guess I will if I have to :)

Zephyros

Well, after a very short search I found several things, man, did they hate each other.

http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/v/eqi05011.html

Mr Waite still talks as if his mouth were full of hot potatoes. The length
and obscurity of his archaisms renders him almost unintelligible to me, an
affectation which I find intolerable... Mr Waite's grammar is as slovenly as ever: "The said three persons will draw lots among each other." ... Mr Waite's scholarship is as slovenly as ever... I am learning Scotch... so that I have no time to learn Waitese

If he lived today, I think he would be an internet troll of the first order.

roppo

Crowley's review on Waite's The Key to the Tarot is in The Equinox vol.I. no.III. 320-322pp, which begins "Mr. Waite has written a book on fortune-telling, and we advise servant-girls to keep an eye on their half-crowns...." :D

Zephyros

Crowley's review on Waite's The Key to the Tarot is in The Equinox vol.I. no.III. 320-322pp, which begins "Mr. Waite has written a book on fortune-telling, and we advise servant-girls to keep an eye on their half-crowns...." :D

That's the one I was looking for! I find it now, thanks!