Not all Tarot Readers are nice people :)

Zephyros

Today I was walking along a boulevard in Tel-Aviv, actually looking for a card reader ask them about reading for money, whether or not you need a permit, prices, and things like that. I found one, and we struck up a very interesting conversation.

He was reading with the RWS (Italian edition, it was shiny) and I commented on how shiny they were, remembering a thread here about the different editions. Then he asked what deck I read with, and whether I was any good or not. I remarked, humbly, that I thought I was at least a fair reader, and then he said it's not for me to say if I was any good or not, and then asked what deck I read with. I had my Thoth with me at the time, and I showed them to him. He didn't recognize the deck, and didn't know who Aleister Crowley was, but said that they were Osho cards...

Then we got to talking about Tarot in general, and he told me about the rituals you "must" follow, unless the whole reading wouldn't work, such as passing the deck to querent with your left hand, shuffling a certain amount of times, and that you must ask a question, otherwise the reading meant nothing. There is no such thing as reading without a question. I told him, or tried, that that was one way of looking at things, but that I supposed each person had their own rituals and ways of reading, and that that was fine. He told me I didn't know how to read if I didn't do the things he said. Ahem.

At this point it was kind of a challenge for me, I already kind of understood who I was dealing with, so I tried to draw him out a little more.

Then we talked about the history of Tarot. I said that the first decks dated from 14-15 centuries, the Marseilles was the closest thing to the "original" Tarot... well, things that are kind of understood here on the forum as obvious. He said I was completely wrong. Tarot was invented by the Ancient Egyptians, and the RWS was the first Tarot deck, proof of which can be seen since it has so much Egyptian symbolism (wait... what?).

I then asked him about reading in the street and what kinds of tips he could give me. He then launched into one of the most racist speeches I have ever heard, badmouthing anyone and every single nationality I could think of and more, women, men, homosexuals... you name, it was in there. I have to hand it to him, though, kudos on being such a thorough racist!:) I was polite all the way through, since I had some time on my hands and I felt like humoring him into talking. At some point though, I got tired of hearing his rants and left. We did exchange numbers, though, it's still good to have for his street reading experience, he's been reading for a while. But I get the feeling I won't be buying him a beer anytime soon:)

I just felt like telling that humorous Tarot anecdote :)

Chronata

wow. yeah. Definitely sounds like a reader with some "issues".

I too have discovered that not all readers are like the wonderful people I know from here!

I have recently run into some scam artists,(who didn't know a thing about tarot, though professed to be experts) as well as a few readers who were not very open minded...but rather petty, jealous and judgmental.

I think it's because I am spoiled. I think of all the wonderful people that I know who read, and I guess I expect everyone to be like them!

poopsie

I know that this may sound harsh and strong but it's people like him who gives the Tarot AND US a bad name.

Maybe before he reads for others, he should read himself first ...

porcupines

This is so upsetting! I've requested readings using a few online readers and theyve been the nicest people. And everyone on this forum is pretty great too. Well quite a learning experience at the least! :)

vee

Not all people are nice! Tarot readers are no exception. :)

Stark Raven

I sometimes think it's a great thing that we don't get to hear people's thoughts. I was just thinking about all the things people think but don't say... Or perhaps that's one concept best left untouched...

RunningWild

It's ironic...

I was debating whether or not to post anything here and decided I'd try.

I was laughing really at his insistence that another reader has to follow ritual or risk not being considered a "real" reader...in a land where he's deeply surrounded by the three major religions all of which frown upon such things as Tarot. I shouldn't speculate on the possibility of reading for himself ...but...want to bet the cards confirm for him his own high opinion? Even if they don't.

I'm sorry you had to experience such a thing.

Zephyros

I was laughing really at his insistence that another reader has to follow ritual or risk not being considered a "real" reader...in a land where he's deeply surrounded by the three major religions all of which frown upon such things as Tarot. I shouldn't speculate on the possibility of reading for himself ...but...want to bet the cards confirm for him his own high opinion? Even if they don't.

Someone somewhere will always think they're better than you and that their faith is better, whether it's based on a rib-woman and a talking snake, or whether it's based on shuffling with your left hand :)

Like Chronata said, I guess I'm used to people on AT who are nice, or just assume readers will have basic open mindedness because of the very fact they read, but you learn new things about Tarot all the time :)

MissJo

Oh, I talked to a Tarot reader like this once. It was actually quite hilarious because we got in a debate about it over a scientist's FB status. She tried telling me that all decks that aren't the RWS or Marseilles aren't real Tarot, and that you must only learn by hitting the books and going to your elders, and that you must only have one deck and one deck only. My way or the high way kind of b.s.

Alta

I got a lot out of your story closrapexa. I can completely see that you enjoyed drawing this fellow out to understand him, & as long as you could keep your perspective, definitely a learning experience. I agree with poopsie though, with so much negativity and general dislike for other people, hard to imagine (or may not so hard) what kind of readings he would have given.