PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Astrology-moon phases

214red
15-12-2011, 20:54
Does anyone know a good book that focuses of lunar astrology, the moon phases. I am going to go onto predictive astrology shortly, but in the mean time i feel a strong pull to work on the moon phases and how the link to my chart and impact me.

thank you muchly

PS I have other predictive books such as 'Eagle and the lark' and a few other ones

Fire Cat
15-12-2011, 21:24
I believe the definitive book is by Dane Rudhyar, "The Lunation Cycle":

http://www.amazon.com/Lunation-Cycle-Key-Understanding-Personality/dp/0943358264

Saturness
15-12-2011, 21:40
Do you know Caroline Smith & John Astrop's Moon Oracle (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/moon-oracle/)?

I know it's not really an Astrology book, but it has a lot of information about the Moon, its phases, how it behaves in different elements/Signs etc. It also has something about the moon mansions, so it could be an interesting complement to your studies.

Besides, the deck gives some nice readings. ;)

There's also Liz Greene's The Luminaries: The Psychology of the Sun and Moon in the Horoscope (http://www.amazon.com/Luminaries-Psychology-Horoscope-Psychological-Astrology/dp/0877287503).

214red
15-12-2011, 21:54
thank you to both of you, i will look these up :-)

dadsnook2000
15-12-2011, 22:09
While Rudhyar's Lunation Cycle is considered by many to be "the book" on this topic, the best book by far is Marc Robertson's Engine of Destiney. This book offers eight planet pairs, each of which is analyzed through its eight phases.

This book introduced me to an approach in which I scan a chart for several phase-pairings and am able to grasp an initial assessment and understanding of the chart in less than a minute. I can then start focusing upon other typical chart investigations. The end result is being able to look at a chart and immediately start talking the chart and asking relative questions. This book was not one of the 350+ books I threw away several years ago. Dave

214red
15-12-2011, 22:52
i have purchased
Rudhyar's Lunation Cycle and Marc Robertson's Engine of Destiny

Caroline Smith & John Astrop's Moon Oracle- this was unavailable, might put it on my wish list

so thank you all very much!

BigLuna
16-12-2011, 05:05
There's a new book on the phases by Raven Kaldera, "Moon Phase Astrology The Lunar Key to Your Destiny." It's an interesting book in that Kaldera gives attention to each phase in each sign and gives that Moon a name. For example, if you were born during the Gibbous Moon in Capricorn, that's a Smith's Moon. It's an interesting book, new to the market, very readable.

I can also recommend Maria Kay Simms book, "Moon Tides, Soul Passages." Simms also covers the progressed phase and includes some simple software for determining phases for a lifetime with the book.

214red
16-12-2011, 23:06
thanks BL i will look at those after xmas:-)

214red
08-02-2012, 21:00
I have the books and am finding them interesting, i am slowly working my way through them.
Rudhyar's Lunation Cycle & Marc Robertson's Engine of Destiny are good, i have to keep coming back to them and the destiny book i havent quite grasped it yet, but i am giving the information space in my head to become knowledge and 'click'.

the other recomendations are on my wish list, i wanted to sa a big thanks for the suggestions, i am getting their slowly. the old books i have on astrology reference these names and books, and i never noticed it before

Barleywine
09-02-2012, 04:38
While Rudhyar's Lunation Cycle is considered by many to be "the book" on this topic, the best book by far is Marc Robertson's Engine of Destiney. This book offers eight planet pairs, each of which is analyzed through its eight phases.

This book introduced me to an approach in which I scan a chart for several phase-pairings and am able to grasp an initial assessment and understanding of the chart in less than a minute. I can then start focusing upon other typical chart investigations. The end result is being able to look at a chart and immediately start talking the chart and asking relative questions. This book was not one of the 350+ books I threw away several years ago. Dave

I just realized I have this book, but it was invisible to me on the shelf because a) it's almost of pamphlet size (with no spine text it's hidden among its bulkier brethren), and b) the "Engine of Destiny" title is bracketed by a much larger "Cosmopsychology" at the top of the cover and followed by "Planets & Personality," and none of the various titles say a word about the lunation cycle. I dug it out for a re-read since I bought and read it around 1974 and haven't looked at it since; I also dug out my old "phase-finder" wheel, which looks much like the "continental" chart form at the back of the book. As an extension of this theme, books on the eclipses (special cases in the lunation cycle) by Robert Carl Jansky and Sepharial (a reprint from 1915) jumped out at me, demanding attention. Looks like deep water ahead :)!!!

ETA: In looking closely at the "phase-finder" wheel (that came from the same publisher as "Engine of Destiny"), I notice that it refers to a couple of additional books/publications that describe phase meanings:

"Not a Sign in the Sky" by Marc Robertson
"The Spiral of Life" by Jinni and Joanne
"Astrology, the Cosmic Pattern," part of a correspondence course by Joanne Wickenburg (the same Joanne?) and probably not readily available unless captured in her later published work

I don't have any of these so can't speak to their value.

dadsnook2000
09-02-2012, 04:59
It seems that many privately-published or low-budget books of the 70's and 80's were issued multiple times (probably in low print numbers) with casual updates and changes. Once the 1990's came along, print publishing shifted to computer managed publishing and greater format control.

I'm still developing the Moon-to-Sun Return chart methodologies that I mentioned to you some two months back. It looks more exciting as I get deeper into it, much superior to conventional lunar returns. Once you get your reviewing of lunar phases done you should contact me to see where these new developments are going. Dave

Barleywine
10-02-2012, 23:43
Further thoughts on Marc Robertson's "Engine of Destiny":

What is refreshing about this book is that it dispenses with any considerations of sign placement and tight aspect orbs in defining the phase relationships of the planetary pairs. He doesn't quite get clear of standard house meanings though. If you look closely at his delineations, it appears that he symbolically placed the slower planet of each pair on the 1st House cusp and then infused the relationship interpretations with some of the characteristics of the "natural" house placement(s) of each phase, especially where he highlights a specific angle. Examples: in discussing the gibbous 150 degree angle, he mentions "service to others" (a standard 6th house connotation); for the balsamic "30-to-0 degrees behind" relationship, he mentions "martyrs and prophets," which strikes me as a 12th-house connection. I'm not quibbling, but it seems that he didn't extract himself as completely from convention as he claimed.

By and large, though, several of the phase descriptions are entirely congruent with my own experience, notably Jupiter-Saturn "First Quarter 120 Degree" (a remarkable reinforcement of the career-specific ramifications of my natal trine) and Mercury-Jupiter "Full, with Mercury behind," (an equally remarkable elaboration on my out-of-orb, cross-sign natal opposition). In the latter case, the phase expression clearly "works" despite the lack of a traditional aspect, even using the "foot-in-mouth" analogy that I mentioned in one of my previous posts on 1st House Jupiter in Sagittarius. This is good stuff that I will be exercising more fully in future chart analyses.

dadsnook2000
11-02-2012, 00:26
While the 3/8's phase is linked to "service" by Marc Robertson, which you feel is a 12th house attribute, I would note that he sees the last phase as one of preparation, letting go, and accepting that change is coming and needs to be awaited by completing all that has been left undone.

As for the 3/8's phase, I see it more as adjustments and refinements being needed in one's skills and approach to work. Here might be where you change the "damn others" and the problems I've had up until now by a change of attitude, a recognition that you have to go alone to get along and now is the time to start making adjustments so that you can succeed in the larger world later. Dave

214red
11-02-2012, 00:30
i long to understand what you are both syaing, one day i will get it!:-)

Barleywine
11-02-2012, 00:57
While the 3/8's phase is linked to "service" by Marc Robertson, which you feel is a 12th house attribute, I would note that he sees the last phase as one of preparation, letting go, and accepting that change is coming and needs to be awaited by completing all that has been left undone.

As for the 3/8's phase, I see it more as adjustments and refinements being needed in one's skills and approach to work. Here might be where you change the "damn others" and the problems I've had up until now by a change of attitude, a recognition that you have to go alone to get along and now is the time to start making adjustments so that you can succeed in the larger world later. Dave

I'm not quite clear on your references here. I was alluding to the gibbous 150 degree relationship (faster planet ahead but not yet at opposition) as an apparent 6th House connotation with Robertson's use of the "service to others" analogy; the idea of "adjustments" is an expression of the quincunx relationship, itself a "natural" 6th House and 8th House phenomenon. Regarding the balsamic relationship, I was only referring to his mention of "martyrdom," which is an exaggerated (and negative) manifestation of the "service to others" motif. (Note that I'm being very careful not to make any mention of Virgo and Pisces in any of this ;)) It just looked like he was bringing in "house" characteristics to flesh out the phase expressions.

By the way, can you shed any light on the connection of the terms "upper" and "lower" aspects to the phase-relationship paradigm? I've always been a bit confused on whether the "upper" aspect is a waxing aspect, with the faster planet ahead, or whether it is a waning aspect (faster planet approaching slower one).