frankincense endangered?

peaceandkarma

I love the smell on Frankincense, it one of my favourite Incense.

Penthasilia

I concur- and hope that the gentleman who is trying to strengthen the tree population is successful as it would be a shame to lose access to this wonderful gift!

Wendywu

Yep - the incense I burn is chunks of pure resin and it smells wonderful. I would miss it very much.

poopsie

That's really sad ... I used to remember when I was a child and we would attend a Catholic Mass, there would always be frankincense to scent the chapel ... especially during Christmas.

tarotbear

WOW! That is truely amazing!

moonbear

I've never used frankincense and have no idea what it smells of but I saw this news report the other day and just thought it was kind of sad. And rather depressingly common for the modern world we live in. Over-farmed, over-fished, over-everything.

Anyway, Wickipedia has a whole load of interesting stuff on frankincense which I never knew.
And maybe one day I'll get to know what it smells like :)

Simone95

wow- sad indeed :-(''
thank you for sharing the link!

starlightexp

Frankincense as well as Oud and Sandalwood are ALL being used up faster then the trees can grow. While I still do use them. I use them in very small amounts and buy from dealers that don't do clear cut harvesting or other methods that harm the survival of the species.

http://www.floracopeia.com/ is a WONDERFUL site that works with local villages to encourage wild harvest and small batch production. There stuff is amazing and the site has a lot of info on different types of oils. Not just Frankincense but Boswellia frereana Frankincense, Black Frankincense, Boswellia papyrifera Frankincense and more. Great resource for botanical info

Stormdancer

http://www.floracopeia.com/ is a WONDERFUL site that works with local villages to encourage wild harvest and small batch production. There stuff is amazing and the site has a lot of info on different types of oils. Not just Frankincense but Boswellia frereana Frankincense, Black Frankincense, Boswellia papyrifera Frankincense and more. Great resource for botanical info
Thanks for the link! I LOVE to burn a combo of Frankincense/Myrrh.