should you use decks worth a lot of money?

wildchilde

I never would have thought I would need to ask this question...but it appears over the years I have managed to gather up at least 3 or 4 decks (some with books, some not) that are now worth much more than I paid for them. These aren't anything super rare or anything like that, just decks like the first edition of BBC etc, that are now OOP.

Here is the issue, at least two of these are decks that I like to use and although not "worn" they are gently used and now that I have found out they may be worth something I am not sure if I should continue using them or just put them away. I also just ordered the 3rd edition of the BBC and am wondering if it is best to put the 1st edition away and open/use the 3rd, or not open the 3rd and keep using the 1st since it is already opened and used. I have never thought of my "collection" as an investment, they are just decks that I have been interested in, so I am very confused on how to handle decks that might be good to have/preserve as collectors items.

Any thoughts on this?

cardlady22

I am careful to have clean hands/surface when using my better decks, but I have them to look at & use- not to be an investment. You're at the mercy of timing and whether a person is willing to pay what you want for it anyway.

Melisandre

That's ultimately up to you. Are you a collector? Does it mean something to you to have a collector's item in your possession? Or is it more important that you get to continue reading with a deck that you connect with? Both are equally valid, you just have to figure out which is going to make you happier.

Alternatively, maybe you could pick the 2 of the bunch that you love reading with the most, and continue to work with them, while you set the others aside.

Bhavana

I use my out of print more valuable decks - but not daily, and I handle all my decks gently. I think that your question really depends on your long term plans for your collection. If you see it as something to be cashed in on someday, to make money off or, to pay a year of your kid's college tuition or whatever, then it might be a good idea to put them away, to keep them in the best condition possible. If, like me, you collect tarot for your own pleasure, to use and look at and enjoy, then use them, ENJOY them! At the very best, before your life is over, you will find a family member or meet someone else who will appreciate them like you did - because one thing is for sure, you won't be taking them with you when you go!

Value is tricky. I may have decks that are worth several hundred dollars, but I see the same decks for sale online, some are common, and they sit for a long time at those high prices. One thing that seems to be true is that first editions are often more desirable, so if you can get a second or third of a first edition deck that you like to use, then I would do it, and put the 1st edition away. I know of a lot of tarot collectors who typically buy two copies if they know they will want to use a deck - one to keep as new, the other to use. I can't afford to do that, and have only done it three times - but I probably would do it more often if I could.

gregory

I have some that are now worth scary money. But what is the point of having them if not to use them. Sure, I am a collector - but I collect for the love of them, not to make money.

Though as has been said already - it is also about how YOU feel about them.

Zephyros

The only deck I have that I thought was worth something is the Royal Fex, which as I learned later, isn't really, but in any case it depends on how, as gregory put it, "scary" valuable they are. If we're talking about a few tens of dollars, then I would use it. However, if it was worth a few hundred, or thousand dollars... well... yeah... as much I like to use it... I'd really like the money it could be worth some day. So for me it depends on "how much." Callous of me, I know, but meh :)

gregory

The only deck I have that I thought was worth something is the Royal Fex, which as I learned later, isn't really, but in any case it depends on how, as gregory put it, "scary" valuable they are. If we're talking about a few tens of dollars, then I would use it. However, if it was worth a few hundred, or thousand dollars... well... yeah... as much I like to use it... I'd really like the money it could be worth some day. So for me it depends on "how much." Callous of me, I know, but meh :)

I am indeed talking hundreds. Notably in one deck bought for about $25 and now fetching $450.... and there are others.

BUT - you cannot count on the market :)

Wendywu

My Ironwing is worth the most in cash terms of all my decks, but it also happens to be the one I prefer as a reading deck above everything else I have ever owned. The reading takes precedence for me, and I do handle the deck gently and carefully but that's as much because this is Ironwing I'm shuffling as for any other reason.

If you are uneasy using a deck - for any reason - you won't use it to the best of your ability because some corner of your mind will be concerned about the cards themselves as things, and not all of you will be free to concentrate on the reading.

It doesn't matter if you feel that you would rather keep a deck absolutely immaculate - it's your deck, your choice, and your decision is absolutely right for you. And it isn't really one that anyone else could or should make for you.

Le Fanu

Beware. In theory, using a 3rd edition (or buying a few more 3rd editions) and saving your prized 1st edition (the one you first loved) may seem the solution. But it isn't always the case.

I have found that the very deck I first loved is the one that cannot be usurped. I try using cheaper, newer editions that I swear are identical and it never quite works out. Funny. No two decks are ever the same and no two editions are ever the same.

My attitute is: tarot is never seriously big bucks. Perhaps with Pam As and Bs &c.

I have my first ever Navigators, bought some backs ups (it being OOP) but the touch, the feel, the colour, is simply never quite right so I still use my favourite first copy anyway.

Cassandra022

yep as others have said its totally up to you and your priorities/how you want to go about it. for me personally, i use all of my decks, even the ones i paid most for. for me, paying more for a deck means I really really liked it, enough to pay the higher price for the ability to use it, not that i paid to have it as an investment. then again i've also TRIMMED more expensive decks, because again, i paid for them for ME, not as investment. but some people totally do collect decks in that way, and that's fine too. whatever works for you.