Detox herbs

caridwen

So it's post Christmas bloatedness:(

I'm looking for herbs or tea infusions that will help clean up my poor abused body. I haven't drunk that much booze but overdosed on sweet and rich food.

What should I buy to detox?:)

strangebrew

So it's post Christmas bloatedness:(

I'm looking for herbs or tea infusions that will help clean up my poor abused body. I haven't drunk that much booze but overdosed on sweet and rich food.

What should I buy to detox?:)

I know the feeling!

Ive been drinking a warm glass of water with lemon when i get up and then 6 or 7 more during the day...i feel it has really helped...simple but effective!

The other thing i found excellent for digestive probs..slippery elm capsules..try get the ones with peppermint....soooo soothing!

214red

the capsules with peppermint are good, but dont fart as they smell great but are painful....

I would also suggest lemon balm as a great relaxant and also detox herb, that and mint leaves together are fab and great, i like to have that or oolong before meditation

celticnoodle

I secondthe waterand lemon drinks. Someting about that truly will help you to feel satisfied and not eat as much too. Another thing I like is to just drink a cup of tea. My fave is either chamomile tea or an orange spice tea.

I also will make hot air popped popcorn and eat this before lunch or dinner, as it fills me up and keeps me from eating too much.

caridwen

Thank you all:D

I actually made myself a jug of lime and lemon with hot water. I'll try and drink a jug a day.:)

triple_entendre

My aunt has a great recipe for limeade. It actually gets a little weird. It's lemon juice, and lime juice in honey water. Sounds okay, right? But then she puts in sprigs of mint... basil... then celery and cucumber juice! It's practically a drinkable salad. I was really doubtful about it the first time, but now it's one of my favorites.

Ginger is also really, really strong. I would recommend it for detoxing, but it personally does a number on my intestines.

To eat: some kind of broth from real boiled bones. You can keep straining and clarifying it to make a consumme, or you can load it with about a handful of peeled and crushed cloves of garlic, and diced onion. Add the onion last and remove from heat soon after so that it doesn't get too sweet and gooey-- the onions should still have this spicy, crisp crunch, but the garlic should be boiled through. Add salt and pepper to taste, and if you don't have Celiac's or something then have a slice of bread, maybe grilled with a very thin slice of Swiss cheese, to dip into this soup. Or tear the bread up and put it in the soup while it's cooking, then melt a crust of cheese into the soup, but I think the other way is less messy. Quite a simple, frugal meal.

Another simple foodstuff is Monk's Salsa, which can be used as a sandwich spread or a pasta sauce. It's basically a lot of olive oil, used to lightly cook (or even not cook) enough breadcrumbs to make a sauce base. Mix in a lot of tiny pickled onions, green and black olives (I prefer them anchovy-stuffed), salt and pepper, and... one large bay leaf. I learned from trial and error that it's really the bay leaf that gives the whole thing its characteristic flavor, but it takes a few days for the flavor to seep out, so keep it stored somewhere with a bay leaf in it.

caridwen

My aunt has a great recipe for limeade. It actually gets a little weird. It's lemon juice, and lime juice in honey water. Sounds okay, right? But then she puts in sprigs of mint... basil... then celery and cucumber juice! It's practically a drinkable salad. I was really doubtful about it the first time, but now it's one of my favorites.

Ginger is also really, really strong. I would recommend it for detoxing, but it personally does a number on my intestines.

To eat: some kind of broth from real boiled bones. You can keep straining and clarifying it to make a consumme, or you can load it with about a handful of peeled and crushed cloves of garlic, and diced onion. Add the onion last and remove from heat soon after so that it doesn't get too sweet and gooey-- the onions should still have this spicy, crisp crunch, but the garlic should be boiled through. Add salt and pepper to taste, and if you don't have Celiac's or something then have a slice of bread, maybe grilled with a very thin slice of Swiss cheese, to dip into this soup. Or tear the bread up and put it in the soup while it's cooking, then melt a crust of cheese into the soup, but I think the other way is less messy. Quite a simple, frugal meal.

Another simple foodstuff is Monk's Salsa, which can be used as a sandwich spread or a pasta sauce. It's basically a lot of olive oil, used to lightly cook (or even not cook) enough breadcrumbs to make a sauce base. Mix in a lot of tiny pickled onions, green and black olives (I prefer them anchovy-stuffed), salt and pepper, and... one large bay leaf. I learned from trial and error that it's really the bay leaf that gives the whole thing its characteristic flavor, but it takes a few days for the flavor to seep out, so keep it stored somewhere with a bay leaf in it.

Thank you so much for this. I feel bad that you went to all that effort and I'm a vegetarian:( But thank you anyway:heart:

I think honey is the missing element in the lime and lemon concoction that I was drinking as it was very sour and honey is such a great all round aid. So I wil make honey and lemon jugs of drink this weak in order to cleanse my system.

Ginger is also a great idea! I usually use Ginger for digestive problems but I'm sure a little wouldn't hurt.

Thank you:)

triple_entendre

Don't sweat it, I mean you did ask for herbs, which bovril... is not. :D Glad I could help! The monk's salsa can be vegetarian.

caridwen

I am now drinking a mixture of green tea, honey and lemon. I heard that green tea is very good for cleansing the system.

I have also orderd more lemons and will continue to drink it all week. I've also had a huge plate of vegetables and will try and get my diet back to pre Christmas standard:D

Cerulean

A few cleansing....

The acidic tomato with basil refreshes....salsa like in hot weather..., as well as citris, but I like warm brews.

If citris is too strong, try apple juice for refreshment and a start up.

I like the trio of celery, onion and carrots,...as a broth or with olive oil, a maigret or trio of veggies for nourishment, with penne pasta...teas... jasmine or gentle oolongs, so white teas and very light brews....or just hot water.

Hope this is clear....ideas....

Cerulean

Thank you so much for this. I feel bad that you went to all that effort and I'm a vegetarian:( But thank you anyway:heart:

I think honey is the missing element in the lime and lemon concoction that I was drinking as it was very sour and honey is such a great all round aid. So I wil m.

Theake honey and lemon jugs of drink this weak in order to cleanse my system.

Ginger is also a great idea! I usually use Ginger for digestive problems but I'm sure a little wouldn't hurt.

Thank you:)