flamingo bird

deusdeus

Ok, I KNOW it might be not the right group but I'm ldesperately ooking for the meaning of flamingo bird symbol
that's why I post it here :-D
any suggestions of meaning or literature? I'd be grateful :)

Alta

My question is why you want to know. Seems unlikely, but if it is about tarot, it is fine here. If it is being understood as divinatory, I can move it to Divination. Otherwise, it isn't really a question for a tarot group.

Please PM me or Sulis.

deusdeus

It appears on (in? sorry for my english and prepositions :-D) Queen of Cups on "Initiatory Tarot of Go0lden Dawn" and I'm wondering why. What does it mean? On the other side it draws my attendtion so I want to understand. That's all.

Alta

Okay, used as a tarot symbol, that's fine. Personally I have no idea, but am sure others here will know.

nisaba

Biologically speaking, the flamingo is incredibly delicate, but it lives and breeds in a highly corrosive environment that would kill other waterbirds.

The creator of the deck may just have chosen it as an elegant and well-known water-bird; but personally I'd see the aspect of being able to live in highly alkaline volcanic water as reminding the reader that this lady is NOT all about love - she is all about *all* of the emotions, which clearly include things like anger, resentment, sadness and hatred as much as they do love and happiness.

Bhavana

Not sure what it means in your particular deck, but according to my Bird Signs oracle, whether they are standing on their long legs, or in the tall nests they build, or standing on one leg while resting (not easy!) - the flamingo is all about balance. The message for humans is balance in our lives, between our health, home, work, and relationships.

I have seen flamingos in other decks too - none come to mind right now except maybe for Navigators of a Mystic Sea...will have to double check, see what they refer to in that deck.

triple_entendre

Flamingos, ridiculous as their image might be today because of their gangley beaks/necks/bodies, use as lawn ornaments, and cricket clubs in Alice in Wonderland just for the absurdity...

...actually have a noble history, if I remember correctly. Their scientific name is Phoenicopteridae, phoen meaning "red," and cotper meaning "winged," like the Phoenix.

Biologically speaking, the flamingo is incredibly delicate, but it lives and breeds in a highly corrosive environment that would kill other waterbirds.
I think that might also have fed into the flamingo-as-the-phoenix myth? Some documentary I can't remember the title of, might have said as much...

annabel398

There is a flamingo standing in the middle of the Ace of Cups in the Universal Fantasy Tarot. I look at the flamingo as cousin to the ibis, which represents Thoth in Egyptian iconography...

pink daliha

Flamingos= Extroverts?

When I think of Flamingos, I often think of extroverts, since the flamingos bright feathers are eye-catching and showy. Are you wishing to be more daring, bold or extroverted? Flamingo pink is a very bold coral color. You could be seeing the flamingo as a message to change your apperance or wear more colors (clothing, a new hair do,etc.) in order to attract attention or be perceived differently?

NorthernTigress

Another thing to remember is that Flamingos are not pink by birth. The pink feathers come from the food they eat. Birds with different diets will have brighter or less bright colors.

So having a flamingo in the Queen of Cups could be a reminder that we are all affected by our environment and that we need to be aware of what's going into our emotional "diet".

That's just my idea, off the top of my head.