Tired after readings?

gypsylady

Hey,
Has anyone else experienced exhaustion after doing more than one reading in a day? I sometimes find myself so tired after offering readings.. not sure if this is common?

atman108

Hey,
Has anyone else experienced exhaustion after doing more than one reading in a day? I sometimes find myself so tired after offering readings.. not sure if this is common?

Not exhausted, not tired, there is no word for it... but I would not do 5 readings in a row...I have some kind of mental satiation...

gypsylady

See, even if I have had a full night's rest and am wide awake, once I start doing more in-depth readings, I feel completely drained. I wasn't sure how common this was amongst tarot readers. I am exhausted, but if I try to sleep, I can't seem to. It's almost as if my brain is full of fuzz for lack of better explanation. Can't seem to think clearly and such.

MissJo

Oh yeah. If I do A LOT of readings in a row or do a few big readings I feel really drained and I sleep GOOD. I kind of like doing readings before bed so I can get nice and drained and I have all that information my brain can process when I'm asleep.

It definitely does use and drain your energy, some more than others.

tarotcognito

I'm not sure about other Tarot enthusiasts, but I've noticed that over time, my "resistance" gradually increased in terms of how a reading would drain me. When I first started out with Tarot, I found myself zombied out after one reading. Over time, as I got more comfortable with the cards, I found the process of "putting the reading together" less and less draining. The more I practiced, the quicker I could connect the dots, the less drained I felt after a reading, etc. It's similar in many ways to physical exercise - the more consistently you keep at it, the easier it becomes, the more endurance you build up.

That's been my experience, at any rate. :)

nisaba

Hey,

Do you take on your client's emotions? Don't - that will help straight away. Understanding emotion is not the same as feeling it yourself.

Do you eat, drink, walk between readings? That helps immensely.

The most readings I did in a day was fourteen, some of which were mini-readings, and I was fine at the end. I knew I'd done a day's work, but I certainly wasn't wiped out.

SunChariot

Hey,

As someone who readings only online, I can stop and rest anytime I need to. Even halfway through a reading. And I do stop and rest at the first sigh of being tired as I read better when rested. So I never hit exhaustion for a reading.

But I don't tend to ever do more than one reading a day as my shortest readings take 3 hours minimum. And I can't do them one after the other,. It's like the energy of the last one needs time to dissapate before I start the next. It's like still in my heart and soul for most of the day.

But the most improtant thing is to know yourself and what works for you. IF you're exhausted you did too much.

Babs

Trogon

Absolutely yes. Especially when I started getting better and started stretching myself more, I did find that I would get more tired out after doing multiple readings. In fact, that is part of the reason I ended up having to take a break from readings for a while. (My "break" ended up lasting around 3 years, but there were other outside influences involved in it lasting so long.)
Lokasenna said:
The more I practiced, the quicker I could connect the dots, the less drained I felt after a reading, etc. It's similar in many ways to physical exercise - the more consistently you keep at it, the easier it becomes, the more endurance you build up.
I think that Lokasenna hit the nail on the head with this statement. Just like exercising your physical body, doing readings exercises your mind. And, as you do readings you will become stronger, better and able to do more readings in a day than when you first start. But, if you push yourself too hard, you might "pull a muscle" so to speak and need to rest your mind for a while. But it is important to get back into readings as soon as you are rested or, like me, you end up getting "rusty" and having to almost start from scratch.
nisaba said:
Do you take on your client's emotions? Don't - that will help straight away. Understanding emotion is not the same as feeling it yourself.

Do you eat, drink, walk between readings? That helps immensely.
More excellent advice. It is difficult sometimes to separate yourself from your clients emotions. I suspect that many of us are empathic to an extent. But being able to sense your querent's emotions is a good thing and helps us (I feel) to be a better reader. However, we should strive to not internalize their emotions as this does wear us down more.

A small snack between readings might help. Your brain runs on carbohydrates, so replenishing your physical energy is important. (Just don't overdo ... ;))

I seem to recall from your introduction post, that you are still relatively new to the Tarot. That being the case, it is important to pace yourself. Learn how much you can do without tiring yourself. Don't be afraid to push yourself a little, but always be sure to allow yourself time to rest and recover. And remember that intensive studying uses up energy the same as reading. So try to limit the number of readings you perform on days where you will also be studying the Tarot.

Do remember that I am basing this off of my own experience. You may find that things may work somewhat differently for yourself. Still you do want to learn how to tell when you need to take a fifteen-minute break or grab a snack. I hope this has been of some help.

espearite

I light a scented candle and put on some soft music, i.e., nature sounds with waterfalls, etc while conducting lengthy readings. I do wish I had a dim lamp, then it would all be complete. Since I do most lengthy readings at the computer, I will also lower the brightness on my screen. I know its sounds cheesy but I try to create a relaxing atmosphere.

I also try to avoid reading when I'm not in the right frame of mind (tired, stressed, sick, distracted) and by making the reading easier such as having a specific question and using positions as opposed to just throwing out some cards and trying to decipher them all night. But that is just me.

I think the walks, light snacking and mini rests in between are all good ideas, especially in the middle of readings where I tend to stay hooked until I'm done. I am thinking of intuiting the cards by notebook first, at least that gets rid of some of the computer!

Trogon

I am thinking of intuiting the cards by notebook first, at least that gets rid of some of the computer!
I usually do this for my on-line readings (whether by e-mail or via chat of one sort or another). When I'm doing a reading via a chat room type thing, I'll tell the person that I'm going to shuffle and lay out the cards then study them for a few minutes. During that initial "study the cards" time, I'll also write down which layout I'm using and which cards were drawn for each position and jot down my initial thoughts on what each card is telling me. Then I'll start passing the reading on to the querent. This helps me to set my first ideas into my mind for the reading, but is also useful for future reference should the querent have questions later on.

After the reading, I'll make sure to note the querent's first name, the date (and usually the time) of the reading, which spread I used (for example; "focusing cross" or "3-card PPF") and which deck I used. I will also write down any further reading details I feel the need to - especially if some new or different meaning came up for a card. Again, these are all helpful if the querent has further questions later on. But it also helps me to continue learning.