Dirty Decks

Bhavana

I figure with all the collectors on AT, some of you must have some stories about used decks you have received in unseen beforehand purchases. I picked up an Oswald Wirth today, I initially looked it over - all cards were there, only one seemed a little beat up (the top of the deck card) and it seemed decent for the price...though it did smell slightly musty. But I still thought it was a good deal and decided to take it. The seller also had an older Xultun, a little musty as well, but great condition, and a Sacred Rose (AGM Switzerland) in perfect condition except for some warping. I took all 3 for $10 each.

After getting them home and taking a closer look, I realized the Wirth was pretty filthy. Really gross. I don't even want to speculate on what was on the persons hands who handled this deck all these years. I just spent the last hour or so washing down each card individually with baby wipes wrung out in the hottest water I could stand with a few drops of lavender castile soap. It looks better now - time to put it in a shoe box with some kitty litter and baking soda.

So I was wondering if anyone wants to share any stories about dirty or disgusting or otherwise not so pleasant purchases of used decks....

annabel398

This wasn't a used deck, but... When I bought my Tarot of Light and Shadows I was really excited, and then I opened the box, and... Phew! What a terrible stench! I don't know what they put in that ink, but it smelled so evil that I couldnt use it. Took months to dissipate. It was so bad-smelling as to be kinda scary.

caridwen

Here's me hovering like a fruit fly because I thought you meant nuddies and the like:p

I would probably throw a filthy used deck away or send it back to the owner.

The only real problem that is similar is I bought a Rider Waite which turned out to have all the meanings in sticky labels stuck to the backs:rolleyes:

I couldn't use it and couldn't send it back as ebay didn't see it as a problem so I think I gave it to someone. It was one of these awful brightly coloured ones which hurts my eyes so I was pleased when I calmed down:D

Bhavana

Here's me hovering like a fruit fly because I thought you meant nuddies and the like:p

well, I won't say it didn't cross my mind that a title like that would get some attention....;)

um....what exactly are "nuddies"??

caridwen

well, I won't say it didn't cross my mind that a title like that would get some attention....;)

um....what exactly are "nuddies"??

Nude - a baby way of saying nude - in the nuddies:D

tarotcognito

That's what I thought too. ;)

I would probably throw a filthy used deck away or send it back to the owner.

The only real problem that is similar is I bought a Rider Waite which turned out to have all the meanings in sticky labels stuck to the backs:rolleyes:
Huh? The meanings weren't printed on the actual card face?

I couldn't use it and couldn't send it back as ebay didn't see it as a problem so I think I gave it to someone. It was one of these awful brightly coloured ones which hurts my eyes so I was pleased when I calmed down:D
I bought a Radiant Waite a few years ago, and the factory smell was so strong it took months to dissipate. Blech.

caridwen

Huh? The meanings weren't printed on the actual card face?

I read professionally! How professional does it look to have labels on the backs of the cards:p They were also really distracting when I was doing spreads.:)

Le Fanu

Back to actual dirtiness...

My 1st edition Alchemical arrived with some cards caked in what looked like baby sick. I sat down with those anti bacterial wipes and gently wiped the surface of all cards. On some cards I had to do a bit of scraping but after a while I got them all clean...

Now you'd never know. :)

Wendywu

My Ironwing had titles hand written on the majors and courts in biro. I knew about it before I bought so I was fine with it. I used Winsor & Newtons artists oil on a cotton bud (gently) and it took every bit of the biro ink off. I was a little too enthusiastic on one card and took a slight part of the sheen off the card but other than that, you'd never know :).

For cards that stink of cigarette smoke I have a tightly sealed box of exceptionally perfumed tealight candles. I generally shove the offending deck in with the tealights for a few weeks and they come out fine.

Old fashioned razor blades (very carefully angled) take stuck on bits of gunge off well - be careful not to lift the card surface. The ground in type of dirt responds well to babywipes (y'know, I've never come across much that babywipes don't shift - babies' bottoms must be tougher than we think!).

Bhavana

my deck mostly looked like someone with really dirty hands handled it all the time....but it does look much better now - even smells a little better. Last night while watching TV I used sage to smudge the heck out of it for about a half hour, practically each card individually. I know it doesn't really do anything, but it sure made me feel better. I am going to get some fine sandpaper and lightly sand the side walls of the deck too - I hear that is where the smell originates from. Then back into the kitty litter box.

That idea with the scented candles sounds good too.