PDA

View Full Version : Down loading whole thread?

The crowned one
14-01-2012, 03:32
Is it possible to download a whole thread with a click of a button, or something like that?

cardlady22
14-01-2012, 03:37
I think you should ask Wendywu ~ remember when she did things with the Frankie journal thread?

The only thing I know about is:
*click on show 1000 posts on one page

Stormdancer
14-01-2012, 03:55
I think you should ask Wendywu ~ remember when she did things with the Frankie journal thread?

The only thing I know about is:
*click on show 1000 posts on one page

This is how I do it.

Wendywu
14-01-2012, 05:27
For Frankie's Journal, having got it in printable version - as mentioned above - I copy & paste the whole page over into Word. That comes out with the lines that separate posts.

If I'm feeling energetic, I will oh so tediously go through the whole thread remove the text from the boxes by copying and pasting just the text from each post individually into yet another Word document. You do end up with a much nicer looking document, but it's slow going. I haven't been able to find a quick way of getting rid of the separators between posts.

Then I insert each image individually in the post which it was attached to (again, it's good old copy and paste) - otherwise they don't show, so that the final book has text and images just like an actual book....

Actually, for images, I go through the thread and copy them into a separate folder on my computer so that it's quick to insert each one where it occurs in the text.

Finally, I have all the smileys saved in a folder, and I insert them as images in the text.

It sounds like so much work, but once you get going it's not so bad ..... oddly, the longest bit for me is copying the images over into a folder on my computer. I found it easiest to open a folder for each poster and copy their images into their folder - otherwise I was left trying to name each image so I could save it. Mind you, where there were a couple of hundred images from posters I could have cried :D

I am ashamed to say I still haven't finished. I have - very nearly - but I really do need to make a push just to finish off. I did send out lots of separate sections to posters who wanted just their bit but like I say, I haven't quite finished. I think I have two people's posts left to do, and their images.

I did it all for the Journal of the 100,000m row and made a book out of that Train Thread :)

Wendywu
14-01-2012, 05:29
Is it possible to download a whole thread with a click of a button, or something like that?

Yep - just get it into printable format at 1000 posts per page, and then copy & paste into your chosen flavour of Word. Save onto your pc ....

The crowned one
14-01-2012, 05:32
Got it, thanks :)

Chiska
14-01-2012, 06:19
If you copy and then paste into Word using "paste as text only" option, it gets rid of the frames for the tables and what not. These paste options are shown when you right click to paste into Word 2010.

Wendywu
14-01-2012, 06:34
If you copy and then paste into Word using "paste as text only" option, it gets rid of the frames for the tables and what not. These paste options are shown when you right click to paste into Word 2010.

Chiska, I think I love you :heart:

Chiska
14-01-2012, 06:43
Chiska, I think I love you :heart:

Awww, shucks!