Just made my first tarot bag!

newlillith

Hi all,

So I went through my daughter's old clothes and found a whole bunch of stuff to get rid of this summer in a sale. Some things had some stains on them, but were still pretty cute. I took a blue ruffled t-shirt and cut the front half off using the side seams as a guide, then cut off the arm and head stitching to make it a square. The bottom hem of the shirt is a natural place for the drawstring. Anyway, I stitched the side and the bottom, left the drawstring area open. Turned it inside out and threaded the drawstring through and voila! A tarot bag!

I'm excited because it was easy-only took an hour. And it's made from my daughter's clothes which makes it a little easier for me to tap into the emotional side of my readings. Anyway I'm sure it's simple and others have done it, but I thought I'd share!

daphne

And a picture? Maybe I decide to make one too, there are so expensive!

vee

Congrats! Making tarot bags is super easy and fun! :) I'm always on the lookout for cool prints to use.

Amitisti

congrats!
I love making my own bags :) I look in the fabric section at 2nd hand stores for great pieces and have used clothing bits too. the one I made today is a lovely lilac velvety fabric lined with a blue and purple plaid from my daughter's old jammies.

newlillith

Hmmmm, I'm not quite sure how to share my photos as the program I use (picasa) doesn't seem to have the option. I'm glad others use old clothes as an option! I'm thinking of finding some of our old buttons or other fabric scraps to jazz it up ; )

Bhavana

I was looking at yoga matt carriers at the local yoga center that are made out of the legs of bluejeans...and thought that with the sides being already sewn for you, jean legs would be great for making tarot bags. I just don't know how to sew.

newlillith

I was looking at yoga matt carriers at the local yoga center that are made out of the legs of bluejeans...and thought that with the sides being already sewn for you, jean legs would be great for making tarot bags. I just don't know how to sew.

What a great idea Bhavana! Also, it's really not hard at all to sew; I haven't done it in ages. I did my bag by hand with needle and thread from wal-mart. If you leave one seam intact, you'll only have to sew the bottom and the side. Try youtubing "how to sew by hand" and I'm sure you'll find some videos. Good luck and I'll let you know if I try that out!

daphne

I always wondered if the bags have also a protective quality beside being nice, cool, taroty to keep the cards in a threaded velvet luxurious little bag.

I have only one deck in a bag, silk bag, and I always have to be careful how I lay down that bag, to not have the cards affected, as they are quite wobbly in the bag, and spread all around inside.

For me a tarot "bag" is something offering at least one solid wall, so the cards are firmly supported when carried around in a purse or something (plus, but this is already too much to ask from a bag, some protective material in case of some wet/rain/liquid).

My question is how can I make one of the bags wall stiff (or some 70-80% lower part stiff)? Stick some hard material on it?

newlillith

Here's a link to a tutorial that describes something like what you want: http://www.squidoo.com/julietarotdeckbag. I want to use this pattern next. It has an inner lining and uses a cardboard cutout to "shield" the cards and hold them upright in the bag. Of course, I'm not sure why one would go through the trouble of cutting out the cardboard when the cards come in a box that will hold them upright, but maybe some don't like to keep them in a box? I know I've already thrown all mine away. Anyway, if you do it, let me know if that works for you!

daphne

Here's a link to a tutorial that describes something like what you want: http://www.squidoo.com/julietarotdeckbag. I want to use this pattern next. It has an inner lining and uses a cardboard cutout to "shield" the cards and hold them upright in the bag. Of course, I'm not sure why one would go through the trouble of cutting out the cardboard when the cards come in a box that will hold them upright, but maybe some don't like to keep them in a box? I know I've already thrown all mine away. Anyway, if you do it, let me know if that works for you!

Thanks for the link!:) I am not very handy so I am not sure I can do it.

I`ll tell you why one would go through the trouble of having a solid container for the deck instead of the box. It is because either:
1. the box opened and closed so many times is falling apart (and most of the boxes are quite fragile, as not much attention is given to the quality of the box) or
2. the deck had no box when bought.

I prefer the clutch little purses to keep my "to-go" decks, where they fit tightly and secure, the bags seem to me quite useless when it comes to practical day-by-day handling and transportation.