the druidcraft tarot @ my local library

childsafetylock

so in beginning to look at different resources and books on tarot and similar subjects, i found the druidcraft tarot on the shelf- complete box set with book and cards. naturally, i snapped it up.

when i got home and opened the box, cards were complete. there is a individual sticker on each cardback that serves as its item number. actually, this deck in particular has 79 cards (there seems to have been a duplicate of the prince of cups card). with the sticker being on the top of each card, naturally you can detect when the card has been reversed.

so far, i'm really liking this deck, so much that when my chances to loan the item are up, i intend to buy my own set. i get an initial 3 weeks afterwards i have a chance to renew the item up to 3x for an additional 3 weeks each (12 weeks possible) provided that someone else hasn't placed a hold on it.

i just found it interesting that they would be willing to offer an item on loan ("free", no less) when it's very possible that the cards could be taken. then again, my library meticulously checks everything when you check them out and when you check them back in and WILL CHARGE appropriate fees. and i guess it helps that the item number is stamped on each card.

anyone had a similar experience in checking out tarot/oracle kits from their library or similar?

celticnoodle

the towns I live in have very tiny libraries and do not have a good selection of anything really. especially lacking in the tarot card offers. :p

in the one library, we only have a selection of less then 10 magazines and the book selection is quite small also. I doubt there is anything there that is even remotely related to tarot cards. :laugh:

At any rate, I have and love the Druidcraft tarot. I highly recommend it. How wonderful your library will offer tarot card decks to look at! Do they have others besides the Druidcraft?

childsafetylock

no i didn't see any other decks available. i checked the library online catalog when i got home and just typed "tarot" in the search and all that came up were books and the one tarot deck- druidcraft tarot. i wish they offered more as a way to "try it before you buy it" kinda thing.

based on the notations, it looks like this set was added to their collections sometime last year. so maybe it's a trial run for future decks/sets as i had never seen any others prior to this one.

the towns I live in have very tiny libraries and do not have a good selection of anything really. especially lacking in the tarot card offers. :p

in the one library, we only have a selection of less then 10 magazines and the book selection is quite small also. I doubt there is anything there that is even remotely related to tarot cards. :laugh:

At any rate, I have and love the Druidcraft tarot. I highly recommend it. How wonderful your library will offer tarot card decks to look at! Do they have others besides the Druidcraft?

tarotcognito

None of the libraries I have ever visited have ever had any decent offerings in the New Age/Wicca/occult section. One librarian told me that the nature of the subject matter makes such items a tempting target for borrowers who don't plan to return.

Cassandra022

Wow that's an interesting idea. I've seen lots of new age and tarot related BOOKS in a library, but never a DECK :0

Carla

I work in a library and we can't even keep people from stealing the books, let alone a tarot deck. That would be gone in a skinny minute! I suppose it depends on the area where you live...interesting idea, though.

Disa

I'm in shock! I never in my life thought to look at the library for Tarot stuff. I assumed being in the bible belt we wouldn't have any. My library is tiny, also- but I'm going to check it out.

celticnoodle

Disa, being in the Bible belt probably does lend to not having things like Tarot available in the libraries! So, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think it is still considered such a controversial subject that most libraries wouldn't supply tarot decks or books in their library.

In the one town we live in, it took them years to allow a liquor store to open up there. The poor man who wanted to open it had to fight tooth and nail. Now that it is open however, it is well used, and he is a very well respected and involved business man in the community! :laugh: (probably also very well visited by the locals too. ;) ). I won't hold out much hope for them to allow divination books/tools in their libraries--but who knows, after awhile, perhaps I'll be tempted to try and open a New Age Shop in town.......})

I work in a library and we can't even keep people from stealing the books, let alone a tarot deck. That would be gone in a skinny minute! I suppose it depends on the area where you live...interesting idea, though.

Yes, alas, that is an issue. I could even see and understand how if a library were to have the tarot decks offered in a library that they would not be allowed to be taken out. Or as was mentioned here already--checked when they are taken out and checked again when returned and a charge put onto the borrower if there is any damage done to the deck. But, that too is not easy to enforce, now is it?

childsafetylock

My library is VERY particular about all it's materials being checked. They examine them the moment you check them out and when they are returned, the REALLY check them and nothing slips by them.

Yes, alas, that is an issue. I could even see and understand how if a library were to have the tarot decks offered in a library that they would not be allowed to be taken out. Or as was mentioned here already--checked when they are taken out and checked again when returned and a charge put onto the borrower if there is any damage done to the deck. But, that too is not easy to enforce, now is it?

Disa

Oh, I didn't get my hopes up CN- haha.. I went to the library website and typed in "Tarot"- nothing. I typed in "Occult" -nothing. We still have a few "dry" counties here, but our county voted yes to liquor sales on Sunday- so we're moving on up.