Need advice on how to study oracle deck

poopsie

Hi folks, I'm already gained some understanding of the Tarot and also have built a system within me so that I could study it and gain insight.

I bought my first oracle deck entitled The Celtic Wisdom Oracle. It is one of the more structured oracle decks in that it has a guidebook on the meaning of each card.

My question is - how does one study an oracle deck? Do I approach it intuitively or do something similar as the tarot? When I study a tarot deck, I first use my intuition, then I read the little booklet, or guidebooks, and do a little research also on the historical figures or mythological figures and symbols in the cards. Eventually I am able to integrate both my imagination, intuition and research into one.

I wonder if it is the same for oracle decks. I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Aulruna

Hi poopsie,

most study groups here indeed study a deck card by card.

How you approach a card however is very much up to you - I'm usually doing it the same way you do. I like getting my gut reaction first and see how I connect to the images, symbols and/or keywords on the card, then I have a look what the companion book has to say (if it's a very basic LWB, I might even skip that step and just stick with my own meanings) and do some resarch/comparisons.

But even if I study card by card. I always do readings right from the start, because that provides the best context.

Egypt

oracle deck

I too am interested in buying my first oracle deck. From my understanding the oracle deck i more of a daily advice or guidence deck. If anyone has a starter oracle deck that they recommend.

smerlinda

oracle deck

every oracle deck has a booklet as usually the reading system of the oracle is made by the author of the oracle itself and that is why I would suggest you to read the cards following the guideline of the author -
there is also to consider that "to read cards" is not a static system, to learn the meaning of the cards and lay down them in a spread it is not enough for getting a result which leads to a good reading -
you should be able to feel having the deck in your hand with cards face up if cards give you a message or a vision in your mind that you can eventually express in words -
some decks are "friend" some decks are "enemy", is very much personal -
I usually follow this simple rule: I keep the deck near me and see if I can learn easily the oracle system as explain in the guideline of the author, then I use freely following what I feel looking at the cards in the spread layout - if it happens the opposite I prefer to put back that deck in my collection -
in fact if the deck is not friendly to you, there is not way to learn the oracle system from the booklet or from other source -