Extreme Hardcore Purification

velvetina

the idea came thru a forum thread.....despairing of my oh-so-stinky Joie de Vivre deck, I have put it in the washing machine with this evening's load :(

I LOVE I ADORE the Paulina ! so i ordered (oudoured ;)) the JdV and haven't even tried it yet as the nasty chemical stench won't shift despite being kept in the incense drawer, then a bag of Lush delights.

I will let you know the results.

if THAT fails, the deck will be buried in snow then ashes then sand then hung on a washing line (lots of pegs needed!)

AJ

I have the Paulina with it's lovely stock, does the 2nd deck more resemble and hard coat US Games stock?
Watching this space avidly ...

GoldenWolf

If you haven't already washed it, you might try sticking it in a box full of crumbled newsprint. This is a method I was taught to deal with paper ephemera that was too stinky to use. Something about the ink absorbing the odor. In any event, it has worked for me with ephemera. I wouldn't store a deck like this long term, but a week or less should deal with the odor without permanent damage. It's simpler than dealing with waterlogged cards I think.

velvetina

i don't possess enough tarot decks to be able to make useful comparisons but it was very different from my gorgeous subtle Paulina....harsh and unpleasant plastic-coated cards spoiling the images...

ann823

When i have to get rid of smells on paper or cards I take two large bath towels and spray with frbreeze on one side and let them dry. Then I lay the cards out singel layer on one of them and cover with the other, febreezed sides together. Then I throw a couple of blankets over it all and leave for a couple of days. It has worked so far.

velvetina

Bah! The cards are now Extremly Hardcore Distressed in a way that should have me arrested for cruelty :( I will reincarnate them into objets d'art so all us not lost BUT they STILL stinky - like dead fish that have been varnished - I will , one day , get another JdV deck and follow your various advices .

VGimlet

I put very stinky decks on the porch, out of the sun, spread out singly. A day or two of that and even the stinkiest (my Tarot Guyeres, which must have come from the home of an obsessive chainsmoker, LOL) clears out in a day or two.

gregory

I got rid of the truly terrible stench that came with the Lunatic by shutting it in a box of 100 lavender scented candles for a couple of weeks. It worked. I was much relieved !

Other good ones are kitty litter (UNUSED :D) and baking soda (a very lot.)

Starshower

How horrid for you, velvetina! My Joie de Vivre deck has no smell whatsoever - not the merest, slightest whiff. Hope you have better luck with deck no.2!

ps I tend to lock smelly decks away with lots of nag champa for a few days.

herself

Oo, some nice ideas here. Think my Haindl and Liber-T decks will be getting the incense drawer treatment very soon....