PDA

View Full Version : Technical file help

Luna-Ocean
06-02-2012, 21:04
Hello,

I just wanted some help with those who use Window's XP, about a year ago i saved all my Major and some Minor's cards from my Tarot Art work onto CD Rw disks.

Today i have just tried to up-load my work, but the ( windows view finder can not read my files.

I just wanted to know if anyone technical who knows Windows XP, could help with this.

Thank you

gregory
06-02-2012, 21:20
I have windows XP - can you give any more information ? The windows viewfinder is crap.

If it is an RW disc made on another machine - it may not have been closed, in which case . Do you have access to the machine that made it ? because probably only the machine that made it can read it. Or a computer shop can often help.

If made on the same machine - I assume you have tried simply opening the CD and copying the files that way ?

Look here for now:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641

Back later.

ETA I think this thread should probably be in general forum help. I shall suggest this....

Luna-Ocean
06-02-2012, 21:26
I have windows XP - can you give any more information ? The windows viewfinder is crap.

I agree ;-D

If made on the same machine - I assume you have tried simply opening the CD and copying the files that way ?

Look here for now:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641

Back later.

Thank you Gregory, yes all my work had been scanned and saved on this machine, GOD i'm so dim when it come's to computer Tech files, i will read the micosoft support link above.

gregory
07-02-2012, 04:11
Well - worst case scenario, I am SURE a good data recovery service can get at them as long as the disc isn't flawed. I used a portable hard drive myself. More durable.

Luna-Ocean
07-02-2012, 04:32
Well - worst case scenario, I am SURE a good data recovery service can get at them as long as the disc isn't flawed. I used a portable hard drive myself. More durable.

Hi Gregory, i've managed to recover most of the disks data, took me nearly 4yrs but was
now able to save the files into one folder on my pc.

Thankyou for helping

dach
07-02-2012, 04:53
Probably not the best place to say it but dump Microsoft and move to Linux; it's all free and less hassle. Better OS and all free software, no viruses and quicker operating!
Apologies for going on but it's one of my pet hates!

Luna-Ocean
07-02-2012, 05:14
Probably not the best place to say it but dump Microsoft and move to Linux; it's all free and less hassle. Better OS and all free software, no viruses and quicker operating!
Apologies for going on but it's one of my pet hates!

Hey thanks,

I have now decided to leave Micosoft this has been a lesson for me today, i will not be storing the rest of my Art work onto disks storage now, i will see what Linux can offer me.

gregory
07-02-2012, 05:49
Not really such a microsoft issue, this particular one, as a CD RW issue... I never use RW ones as I find them so unreliable. I'd rather risk paying extra for using loads of unrewritable ones !

I would switch to memory sticks and portable CDs.

Sure - Linux has its fans and have fun with that - but this isn't really down to microsoft. RW discs fail a lot in all OSs when you leave them a while between uses - even in Macs !