Whats important in a tarot collection

plidia

Hi everyone,

After being a psychic for 10 years and watching way to many antique shows lately lol, I have just begun collecting tarot decks.

I would like to ask, what all of you think is important when buying a tarot deck for collecting reasons?

I have recently purchased a 1st edition Robin Wood and Gill decks. Also spent lot of extra money on the new JOIE DE VIVRE TAROT deluxe addition to include a hand drawn picture and signature and bla bla bla ;)

How truly important are these factors to collectors of tarot decks. Should I just be buying them on amazon or keep doing the extra research to get that extra importance?

Looking forward to your ideas

Le Fanu

There is only one reason; that you like it. Nothing else matters, though, under exceptional circumstances if I see a massively rare but ugly deck dirt cheap, I'd buy it of course. But generally speaking - and true of any collection - rule number one is simply "love it."

gregory

You buy what is important to YOU. It doesn't matter at all what anyone else thinks and there is no "should" about it.

I tend not to buy the LE ones unless they are by someone I PARTICULARLY like. Then I buy because of who the creator is, NOT for any "collecting" reason. If you are thinking about your decks appreciating value - don't bother. It doesn't work. Tarot collecting will not make you rich; it is not worth looking on it as an investment. Believe me - I know this.

I do have SOME that I bought up to 40 years ago that are now alarmingly rare and could fetch serious money - things like a handpainted Elisabetta Cassari - but the LE ones coming out now - I really don't think they will qualify. Even the Greenwood, which fetches a fair bit at the moment, will probably fall out of fashion in the end. And I didn't buy what I have as an investment - I collect for the love of it.

Collect for enjoyment. If buying the extras makes you happy - go for it. But there's no "is it worth it" about it.

Chiriku

Welcome to the wonderful world of deck collecting.

I must say, though, that your question makes me realize that I never set out to become a collector. I simply did what Le Fanu said: buy what I like. Or rather, in my case, buy what I feel like--simply because I feel like owning another tarot deck and having 78 new pieces of art to explore.

I suppose on some level, I did have an intention of a kind, at least in the first few years: to find The One. And maybe that was always at the back of my mind and secretly fueled 90% of my purchases. That's why I never, in those early years, bought decks that weren't immediately appealing to me on SOME level. I didn't buy things thinking, "Hmmm, this is terrifically ugly but maybe I'll one day glean some deep knowledge from it."

But after a multiple-year hiatus from all things tarot, I returned to deck-collecting with a different perspective. Suddenly, perhaps in part due to storage space and spare cash concerns, I wanted each deck I added to my collection henceforth "to count." I wanted each one to fulfill a certain need, and I wanted to avoid buying decks that I knew from the start wouldn't fill a specific need.

And I didn't care so much about visceral aesthetic appeal; I could handle "not very attractive" if it had something that was increasingly more important to me: interpretative depth; an imaginative non-cloney approach; fresh fodder for the intuition. That's how Lo Scarobeo decks went from lowest in my estimation (pre-hiatus), to top of the list (post-hiatus).

Well.

It's more complicated than I first thought, the personal philosophies behind deck collecting.

plidia

Thank you for the wonderful ideas!
The situation is, I am bad at keeping my cards organized. I go through decks constantly, throwing them out when missing a card, which happens a lot. I would often stick to the Robin Wood because I found it the best to read with.
Recently I was researching new decks and learned that the new “zombie” deck is by the same people that came out with the “housewives” deck. I remember buying it way back and loving the art but eventually misplacing the deck due to the fact that I could not read with them and never used them.
Back then I guess I bought decks based on ways to improve my readings, but being reminded of that housewives deck gave me a bit of nostalgia, making me realize sometimes there is more to tarot then just readings.
I also love the idea of my Great Grandchildren being told the legend of “psychic grandma” and finding a chest full of psychic stuff in the attic that could be worth something. lol

VGimlet

Pretty much what everyone else said - I will only buy decks I like. I don't care how much they may or may not be worth in the future. :D Tarot prices fluctuate. Madly. I am not an investor.

I have a few artists I collect because I like their artwork. I will only buy limited editions of decks if I already like the artist or the art.

Many collectors will buy extra copies of a deck and keep them sealed, but that is so not me. All my decks are for use - even my limited edition signed copies.

VanillaLatte

If I were to buy all decks that I like, I've to slog 24hrs at my freelance job. So I'll sit on my likings for about a week or so, and if the images still haunt me lovingly, I'll buy it! Very effective for fickle creatures like me.

nisaba

I would like to ask, what all of you think is important when buying a tarot deck for collecting reasons?

I have recently purchased a 1st edition Robin Wood and Gill decks. Also spent lot of extra money on the new JOIE DE VIVRE TAROT deluxe addition to include a hand drawn picture and signature and bla bla bla ;)

How truly important are these factors to collectors of tarot decks. Should I just be buying them on amazon or keep doing the extra research to get that extra importance?

Signed, dated and/or numbered decks are great. Limited edition decks are also great - where a creator might self-publish and do a print-run of so many copies, then get picked up by a publisher. Small art-house publishers are great - I'm thinking people like Adam McLean and the MRP folk, and others like them. Decks from countries which don't produce a lot in the way of Tarot are great - I have decks from Bulgaria, Finland and other such places which I treasure.

But the decks I like the most are those which have been loved and used a lot, even badly battered by decades of loving use. I'm fortunate to have a few of those, now, and they are real stand-ouots in my collection.

I notice you don't say anything about their investment-value, their possible appreciation in price through time allowing you to sell off decks for profit. I have mentioned the things that make a deck important in my collection for collectible reasons, not reasons of being a reader or investment reasons.

Original Destiny

Mmmm I dont own a lot of decks considering Ive been studying the Tarot since the early 70's...I suppose Ive ended up with a collection, but that wasnt my intent. I buy cards for the simple reason of finding the perfect deck for me. I can only repeat what others have said go for limited editions, rare decks, signed decks etc. A Collection presumably must have a basis...is yours investment ?

gregory

I bought one. Then I saw another I liked and that was very different. Then I saw the Thoth which again... THEN I found this store where there were a lot of things that were interestingly different... THEN I was lost :)

I never ever intended to collect, nor was I ever at any time looking for The One. I was just fascinated and one thing led to another !