There is no "one" for me.

kabang

Okay, I concede. There is no "one" deck for me. There isn't, and there never will be.

This deck has loads of study-potential, but the colors are too muted for long-term visual appeal. That deck is gorgeous, but there's really no depth. I can see why another deck has plenty of study appeal, but it just doesn't appeal to me. No matter what deck I'm using, I'll always get the grass-is-greener longing to be using another deck in my collection.

So there you have it. I've accepted it. I'll keep collecting, keep PDR-ing with decks I like but don't love, but I'm going to stop looking for THE deck. Because it's not out there.

It's freeing, knowing this, but it's a bummer, too. I'm hereby a deck-soul-mate cynic.

Has anyone else realized this? Did it depress you?

cardlady22

(((kabang))) Freeing, yes. Fleeting wistfulness at times here.

For the most part, I'm ecstatic & fiendishly happy to be allowed to be an Unfaithful, Commitment-rejecting Whore in at least one area of my life. :laugh:
It's a "safe" way to indulge & fulfill my Dark Side without the pricking of my conscience.

nikkipeachy

I think there is that "one" deck for me, but it may not have been created yet, or maybe it just hasn't found me. I am more than happy to keep adding to my growing collection. Maybe there are different decks for different periods of my life, who knows. Either way, I love all my decks in different ways.

SunChariot

Okay, I concede. There is no "one" deck for me. There isn't, and there never will be.

This deck has loads of study-potential, but the colors are too muted for long-term visual appeal. That deck is gorgeous, but there's really no depth. I can see why another deck has plenty of study appeal, but it just doesn't appeal to me. No matter what deck I'm using, I'll always get the grass-is-greener longing to be using another deck in my collection.

So there you have it. I've accepted it. I'll keep collecting, keep PDR-ing with decks I like but don't love, but I'm going to stop looking for THE deck. Because it's not out there.

It's freeing, knowing this, but it's a bummer, too. I'm hereby a deck-soul-mate cynic.

Has anyone else realized this? Did it depress you?

I have personally never ever believed there is or should be only one deck for me. I am not even sure what makes people think this should be the case, but I have never for a moment ever thought there should be just one.

Tarot decks are, in many ways, a lot like friends to me. I don't "study" them. I get to know them back talking with them, seeing how they react, asking questions, seeing which areas they excel at, having a few laughs, sharing and caring.

In the same sense, thinking you need only one deck to satisfy all your Tarot needs, is like saying if you have one friend you never need or should want another. If you are very close to one you don't need others. In reality, you might have one friend who is great with one kind of advice you might need, and another who is better in different kinds of situations. Decks are like that, no two are the same. Some are better at some questions and others at others. You should have the right to pick and choose which you need in any kind of reading.

There is really no such thing at all as perfection in this world. It cannot even be defined because the perfect version of something in my eyes may very well not be in yours. given that, no deck can be the perfect deck and fulfill all needs. To me what I have, and it is the ideal situaion for me, is a collection of decks that is the perect (or closest to perfection that can be) system for me.Combined they have tremendous power to me, more than any one deck could ever have.

Although, luckily I do not have the same view in romnatic relationships and I am monagous there. LOL

But that is my point of view on that. How can one person or one deck be all things to any one person?

Babs

GoldenWolf

I am open to the possibility of there being that one deck for me. However, I think a relationship with a deck is analogous to our relationships with people. Each one is capable of meeting certain of our needs, but not all of them. I think a human "soul mate" can meet many more of those needs and meet them in a more fulfilling way, but we still need other relationships with friends, family, etc. Just as I think it's unrealistic for any one person to meet all of our needs and expectations in a satisfying fashion, I think it's the same with a Tarot deck.

If a deck is worthy of meditating on or using for self growth and exploration, I'm not disappointed if it's not a good deck to read for other people. It's a completely different purpose with different criteria to apply. Even with reading decks, I have different standards. Every now and then I read for a child with their parent's permission. I will use a deck with cards that are aren't scary or negative and that tend to be lighter or even whimsical in tone simply because they aren't adults. I'd follow a similar line of reasoning for someone who never had a Tarot reading and was nervous about it.

So, no, I'm not depressed that I haven't found the "One". I also don't think that I'd use such a deck exclusively if/when I do for the reasons above.

kabang

(((kabang))) Freeing, yes. Fleeting wistfulness at times here.

For the most part, I'm ecstatic & fiendishly happy to be allowed to be an Unfaithful, Commitment-rejecting Whore in at least one area of my life. :laugh:
It's a "safe" way to indulge & fulfill my Dark Side without the pricking of my conscience.

So I need to get in touch with my inner free-lover? I could do that! :D

kabang

I have personally never ever believed there is or should be only one deck for me. I am not even sure what makes people think this should be the case, but I have never for a moment ever thought there should be just one.

Tarot decks are, in many ways, a lot like friends to me. I don't "study" them. I get to know them back talking with them, seeing how they react, asking questions, seeing which areas they excel at, having a few laughs, sharing and caring.

In the same sense, thinking you need only one deck to satisfy all your Tarot needs, is like saying if you have one friend you never need or should want another. If you are very close to one you don't need others. In reality, you might have one friend who is great with one kind of advice you might need, and another who is better in different kinds of situations. Decks are like that, no two are the same. Some are better at some questions and others at others. You should have the right to pick and choose which you need in any kind of reading.

There is really no such thing at all as perfection in this world. It cannot even be defined because the perfect version of something in my eyes may very well not be in yours. given that, no deck can be the perfect deck and fulfill all needs. To me what I have, and it is the ideal situaion for me, is a collection of decks that is the perect (or closest to perfection that can be) system for me.Combined they have tremendous power to me, more than any one deck could ever have.

Although, luckily I do not have the same view in romnatic relationships and I am monagous there. LOL

But that is my point of view on that. How can one person or one deck be all things to any one person?

Babs

Interesting. I suppose I tend to think of my decks as tools (as well as pretties). For instance, I have a journal that is my free-writing, personal-writing tool... It's a special, well-loved tool, but a tool all the same. I would never ever give it up, but I don't think of it as an entity with its own personality or energy.

Eh, that's not entirely true. I think my decks have personality. But I guess I'm looking for my deck romantic partner, the card equivalent of my fiance, the one I can turn to for any question or idea and never get tired of. :D (I'm not sure he'd appreciate that comparison.)

Perhaps I do need to cultivate the attitude that my decks are friends, not lovers. (Oh my!)

SunChariot

Interesting. I suppose I tend to think of my decks as tools (as well as pretties). For instance, I have a journal that is my free-writing, personal-writing tool... It's a special, well-loved tool, but a tool all the same. I would never ever give it up, but I don't think of it as an entity with its own personality or energy.

Eh, that's not entirely true. I think my decks have personality. But I guess I'm looking for my deck romantic partner, the card equivalent of my fiance, the one I can turn to for any question or idea and never get tired of. :D (I'm not sure he'd appreciate that comparison.)

Perhaps I do need to cultivate the attitude that my decks are friends, not lovers. (Oh my!)

I think even a lover cannot meet all our needs in reality. We still need our mothers, siblings, friends....sometimes we just need a girl talk. Even a lover cannot be all things to us at all times so that we don't need any other humans in our lives.

Babs

canid

I think there is that "one" deck for me, but it may not have been created yet, or maybe it just hasn't found me. I am more than happy to keep adding to my growing collection. Maybe there are different decks for different periods of my life, who knows. Either way, I love all my decks in different ways.

Aww, good luck, hon. There have been many threads regarding this topic, with me being at least one of the instigators. I think we're all on a quest to find that 'one' deck & I also think we're still all on it, even if we deny it. Some have professed to have found 'it', but I have to wonder why they have such a huge collection then, & why they still use them. I sometimes think maybe it would have been better if we didn't have all this candy in the store. Sometimes, not very often ;-) I'm an artist & started creating a deck, but even that wasn't satisfying me so it stagnated; I'm not sure I could even explain what 'my' deck would be like. My collection isn't huge by any stretch, but my 'go to' deck is still Druid Craft, although I do deviate. A lot. Regarding your 'perfect' deck, there's always something on one of the cards that doesn't resonate with you & even if it's only one card in that otherwise perfect deck, it's still there & the next deck that strikes your fancy may be 'it'. I'm not saying to give up the search, but I think you may need to create it yourself. And you're right, different periods in your life, different moods, different questions/querants, are going to determine which deck you go to. But the search is fun...isn't it?

kabang

I think even a lover cannot meet all our needs in reality. We still need our mothers, siblings, friends....sometimes we just need a girl talk. Even a lover cannot be all things to us at all times so that we don't need any other humans in our lives.

Babs

Well, yes. But it would be nice to have that "first among loved" feeling for a deck.

Which, come to think of it, maybe I do have that deck... I have a security blanket deck, but it doesn't satisfy my intellectual needs.

I don't know. I guess for me, I just don't have enough of that peopley connection with my decks for this analogy to work.