Anyone creating an oracle deck?

SherryZoned

I know lots of people creating tarot decks..but any oracle ones being created??? (if you are..I do want to see scans)

Chronata

I have created two oracle decks in the past as well as various sets of oracle/divination stones.

One deck was based on moon images, and a fantasy idea of court and creatures that inhabit the moon of our dreams.

The other deck is based on Native American images.

Alas...I don't have a scanner that works!

Maybe someday I can send you images of these!

SherryZoned

Very cool.

Do you use them? are they like other oracles on the market? (i know there are tons!!)

Chronata

Oh yes!
I use the oracle stones more often than the cards, however.

The Court of the Moon deck was made as a gift for a friend, and the Native American one I used last year when I portrayed an Indian storyteller at a wild west theme park!

I actually use a lot of oracle decks in general...mostly for myself, but occasionally when I do public readings as well.

ficlite

i want to make an oracle deck

I want to make an oracle deck but have only a basic idea of how to start . and im kinda annoied that u can find downloadable tarot decks free of charge but no oracles to inspire us . Im low tech but im gonna try to do one
ill keep you posted and any ideas would be great PLS

SherryZoned

Well what kind of oracle deck are you thinking of...There are many...Faeries Oracle..A german oracle I just got..Dont knwo how to read with it..but rather beautiful...Fairy Ring Oracl..Moon Oracle..I could go on...So tell us some of your ideas?

Chronata

Howdy ficlite!
Redwood is right..there are so many different oracles out there(I have about 50 or so in my collection)...and so many different ways to approach the creation of one!

I would think that the first thing you want to do is decide how you are going to use it....do you want an oracle that tells the future? Or one that delves into your psyche, and dreams...or perhaps one that helps open your psychic center, and enhances your intuition?

Then decide if you want a theme...maybe animals that you meet each day, or a deck full of your favorite things, and images.

One of my favorite oracles, is simply a deck full of words. Things like.. "Creativity" and "Forgiveness"...it's one of the most usefull decks that I have for readings for myself.

But if you want to draw or create an image deck, then a good idea is to find a good book of symbolism...or begin to create your own symbolic meanings for objects and images that have relevance for you.

You can base an oracle deck on almost any existing divination system as well. A book on cartomancy... playing card meanings...can help! Or base a deck on the meanings behind certain crystals, or colors. I based a set of oracle stones on planetary influences, that came from a book about talisman making!

There are some great Oracles out there, from Parlour Sybil decks...to the Gypsy Witch decks...to the more advanced type...like the Faery Oracle and Medicine Cards.

I hope some of this helps stir those creative juices for you!
Good luck with your creation!

And above all, do whatever feels right to you!

Peace and Starlight,
Chronata

Vilyariel

there is a very nice, handy book available from Australian bookstores, it's called '1001 symbols' and it's in the new age section. I didn't buy it, but now i think i should have.... it's available now.

Aithnea

Some friends and I are considering making an oracle deck for us all and don't even know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas?

HudsonGray

Have you looked at some of the oracles out there & seen where the names/meanings of the cards overlap? The titles most are using would be a place to start. Just as the traditional tarot has majors that are all along the same line, and courts to stand for people & aspects of them, and minors, oracle decks will have an overlap also.

Start with what's usually represented, as a base. Then see what's missing & add to it that way.