Keeping Decks Like New

espearite

Okay, maybe not like new, but in really good condition. I noticed that a well known reader keeps his decks looking good. I'm thinking it's not because of how much he uses them but in the way that he shuffles. Is it possible to keep a regularly used deck in good condition for its age while in use? I'm betting there is. I would think you'd have to use a certain method of shuffling to keep the edges from wearing out, especially quickly. I also heard baby powder works wonders for sticky cards. A lot of the times before using my decks, I wash my hands and try to read on a clean surface/cloth. I was also thinking of using a little baby powder (cornstarch variety) to my hands and not fanning out the cards anymore, as that can leave scratches and marks. Has anyone used similar methods with success?

Le Fanu

Well riffle-shuffling is less likely to keep them looking new than gentle hand over (over hand?) shuffling.

If I really, really want to keep a deck in *like new* condition I buy two copies and then heroically forego a really crappy hideous deck. It works every time.

But I would have thought that glossy Printed in Italy U.S Games decks would look new forever. Black-edged ones rarely do unless you touch them up with a black sharpie. Even then, some decks get those specks on the surface which I can never identify.

The only solution I have found is either (a) enjoy the lovely worn down and battered feel a deck gets with use, or (b) buy two copies.

rwcarter

The only solution I have found is either (a) enjoy the lovely worn down and battered feel a deck gets with use, or (b) buy two copies.
Only two? Really? }) :D

I riffle and bridge, just like I do with playing cards. Considering my Mythic is 20 years old and it was my primary deck for my first few years with tarot, it still looks pretty good. But I guess I don't use any of my decks enough to have riffling and bridging cause long term damage to them.

Rodney

Bhavana

I think that washing your hands beforehand, and using a reading cloth, and storing the decks well after use (in boxes) are all important. Keep food and drinks away from your cards. Shuffling is very important as well. I shuffle mostly hand over hand, but I also do my own way of the riffle style - I hold the cards vertically, and instead of bending them, I just gently let them drop into place. Then, instead of the "bridge", I just carefully push them together. With some practice, this is just as effective and even as satisfying as the regular way to riffle.

Some wear is inevitable, but I really do think that if you are careful, you can keep your cards looking really nice indefinitely.

Carla

I'm not sure how to keep cards looking pristine because I like to break my decks in. Personally, I don't like new-looking decks...but I want to be the one who broke them in, and I don't want them looking dirty or grubby so I'm careful about that, but I do like them to look like they've been used. Nicks on the edges don't bother me, I riffle and bridge a LOT so it's inevitable. And I actually like it.

Nisaba's decks are all in great condition, I bet she has some good tips.

jema

I have to admit that the third deck I even bought and used daily for several years, even out at pubs, cafes, lawns and grimy dorm-room floors is looking less then pristine.
But all my others look great, I think because I make sure to always wash and dry my hands before touching them.

About the herbaltarot - the dirty one I got, I am thinking now that a cropping job will fix most it the problem since it is the edges that looks quite disgusting.

Chiriku

I vacillate between my natural impulse to keep my decks (and books) crisp, shiny and factory-new, and an anomalous urge to use a deck until it's well-handled, weather-beaten, and otherwise looks "well-loved."

I don't think I'm likely to get to the latter point with a deck. I circulate decks too much and read too infrequently for myself. When I read for others, I "wash" the cards facedown on the surface and then usually let them cut the deck into a certain number of piles, or indicate the cards they want. All in all, the cards just don't get enough handling to look well-worn.

So, I suppose that's advice for you if you want to keep them looking fresh.

Also, I never allow there to be excess space in a storage container (box, tin, bag); otherwise, the cards knock about against each other and the interior and get chipped on the sides.

GoldenWolf

When I shuffle, I do a gentle side shuffle from one hand into the other. When I do readings, I let the querant cut the deck a few times and/or I may fan the cards out and let them pick their cards. I do this because some will want to rifle and bend the cards like a poker deck even if you specifically ask them NOT to it. With the exception of some decks I bought pre-owned and my first two which are now forty years old, most of my decks are in excellent to very good shape including my Spiral which I use the most for readings for other people. Other than making sure my own hands are clean and storing them away in boxes and/or bags, that's about it.

Emily

I think decks just age. I'm pretty careful with my Liber T, washing my hands before using it, always making sure I don't lay them down anywhere dirty but still the deck is getting to look well used. It has little nicks on the edges where I shuffle and there are some strange black specks on the fronts of some of the cards.

I did start using one of my back up Liber T's a few months back but I missed the feel of my well worn deck so I went back to it.

So I think decks just age as you use them. :)