PDA

View Full Version : Host your own IRC server

Teranar
02-09-2003, 03:50
Today I tried getting onto public chat... and found all of OZ.net was down. So I got the thought - why don't we host our own public chat? It wouldn't cost anything if we used Knoppix Linux to host it - all we'd need was a computer online 24/7. Any thoughts on this?

Technomage,
Teranar

Demonesse
02-09-2003, 06:13
I don't know if hosting our own server is possible, but I DO advocate establishing the AT channel on another server, at least. oz.org's servers are god-awful to log into.

Moongold
02-09-2003, 06:29
Oz.org is generally Ok for us Ozzies!

Seriously, I am only joking. Don't want to be too parochial, only a little!

I believe the Forum server itself is over the US, and sometimes that has implications for us who only have dial up connections. Loading files or graphics can be a nightmare.

I guess Solandia will find the best solution. There was nobody in chat this morning when I got through, nor last night.

wavebreaker
02-09-2003, 07:49
The physical location of a server doesn't matter when it comes to speed, whether you're on a dial-up connection or otherwise. It's the speed of the server itself that matters. When you have a lot of visitors using that server, it needs to be a really powerful machine, otherwise it will be very slow.

I don't know anything about the option you're suggesting, Teranar, but it's definitely worth looking into to see whether it's an option.

Solandia
03-09-2003, 22:48
I'm not sure that a dedicated IRC server is feasible cost-wise, but a different IRC network might be. I am working on getting live chat up and running again, and I'll look into it.

~ Solandia

Teranar
05-09-2003, 13:26
What I was talking about is using Linux to host an IRC server, and if we selected a computer that had say broadband/dsl/cable/anything that stays on 24/7 we wouldn't have to ever restart/shutdown the computer. Ummm... I think information could be gotten at www.linux.org, or one of its links, it would be easier to read from there than to listen to me talk for a long time, I can also get kinda preachy. BTW linux is free, so it wouldn't actually cost the forums any money.

Kaz
05-09-2003, 19:26
terenar,
to run an irc server i would suggest a dedicated server, which means a machine for just that purpose. its not the software or the 24/7 online thing, setting up a linuxbox is not hard to do. but you need a dedicated machine as you dont want this on a server where your database is located.
so either you get yourself a machine that runs it, or you go with an existing irc network.

Aun
06-09-2003, 00:51
Just for your information, LINUX is not the only option available to run an IRC server. You can also install it on a Windows XP or Windows 2000 server box as well... Although setting up a Linux box is not too difficult, it is much easier to install a windows server.

However, Linux is a (much) more reliable and secure system to be used for any internet serving purposes (IRC, FTP or HTTP)...

Cheers,
Aun

Teranar
07-09-2003, 15:38
Yeah, but my concern is cost - linux is free, whereas windows costs $$$. If I had a decent internet connection, such as one that I could keep up 24/7 like DSL or cable, I could build a cheap little thing, hook it up, and host it on that. I'm just throwing things out here to prevent things like chat going down because a janitor at oz.net tripped over a server cord or something, and keep it from costing the forum or Aeceletic money.

Kaz
07-09-2003, 20:28
i would do the same teranar, IF i had the 24/7 connection, thats the only thing that fails me.
56k modem really sucks.

Macavity
07-09-2003, 21:24
Originally posted by Kaz
...56k modem really sucks.Yeah, I empathise :P

The only thing I would connect to the "internet" these days is this linux box - But I haven't yet bitten the bullet on going the (fairly support free) ADSL route...

Aside: I discovered recently, under SuSE 8.2, I actually DO have an IRC client (KSirc) preloaded in KDE. It even works too! Good news, since I had been messing with IRC clients on a WinME box VIA the linux firewall. The problem was I could never remember the "incantations" to get ALL that stuff running at the same time. :laugh:

Hmmmm - Things are looking up. See yous on IRC, maybe? ;)

Macavity