PDA

View Full Version : How to treat my pendulum

newlillith
23-02-2012, 00:04
Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I got a rose quartz pendulum last weekend. While it works wonderfully, I get the feeling I need to be doing something different with it in terms of how I treat it between uses (it has also indicated this to me). Does anyone know a good resource on programming and caring for crystals? Also, dies anyone know if it's normal for it to get tired when you have been using it for awhile?

Obviously I'm a total newbie, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

Melisandre
23-02-2012, 01:06
Congrats on your pendulum!! I bought one a few months ago (also rose quartz) and have had quite a bit of success with it so far.

I'm no expert on pendulums, but I keep mine wrapped in a small silk cloth in the black velvet bag it came in. Where are you currently keeping yours?

As far as your pendulum becoming "tired," I actually think this is connected to a drain of your own energy after working with it for long periods, similar to the way you might feel drained after doing multiple tarot readings in a row. It's plausible that this could cause some confusion toward the end of a prolonged session.

newlillith
23-02-2012, 04:31
Hi Melisandre! Thanks for your response. I've been keeping mine in the same bag I made for my Paulina Tarot (I made the bag out of my daughter's old baby shirts), with the cards. Maybe I should make a separate bag for it? I think you're right about it getting tired when I get tired. Thanks again for the help!

Melisandre
23-02-2012, 04:59
Yeah, I think having a separate bag for the pendulum might be a good idea, for two reasons. One, to keep your pendulum safe from scratches and the like. And two, maybe to separate the energy of the deck from the energy of the pendulum?

How about asking the pendulum if it would like different types or storage? i.e., Do you want your own bag? Do you want to be kept in a box? Worth a shot, no? ;)

Kris Hughes
23-02-2012, 06:12
I'd like to qualify what I'm about to say with the proviso that it's just my opinion, based on my own personal experience. I'm not into crystals, which is not the same thing as saying I don't believe that they are beneficial or useful. My path has simply never taken me in that direction. However, I do have a lot of experience with pendulums, and here's what I've found - what the pendulum is made out if isn't important.

I've used pendulums for decades. I started out just stringing a piece or hardware, like a heavy nut or something, on a string. It took me a little while to get my own energy sorted out, but this worked okay. As my own spiritual journey progressed, I used pendulums off and on. Often a heavy pendant on a light chain, or something similar, was called into use. If it worked any better, it was because my vibrations generally got a little higher over the years. At some point in my life I got this ring, and in my own head, I imbued it with a lot of personal, spiritual significance. For a long time I used it as my pendulum, either stringing it on one of my own hairs (I have long hair) or on a chain or piece of thread. I loved that ring (I tend to form relationships with certain pieces of jewelry, but I'm not talking about stones or crystals, I tend to vibrate more strongly with metals) and it was a wonderful pendulum for me for many years. When I studied animal healing, kinesiology was an important part of the course, but I couldn't get on with it at all. My teacher saw that I could get to the same answers with a pendulum and told me to go with it.

Eventually, I had a break-in and my "magical" ring was stolen, along with many other pieces of silver jewelry which were important to me. At that point in my life, I wasn't using the pendulum a lot, but the next time I needed one, I did feel pretty lost. However, I believe that whatever makes pendulums work either resides within, or is channeled through, the person using it. It doesn't reside in the pendulum! Lately, I've been using a large inlaid earring, whose mate is lost, hung on a piece of sewing thread, in a shade of green I really like. I am probably getting better results with this pendulum than I ever got with any which came before. I believe that this is because I am more attuned than I used to be. That's all.

I understand bonding with a tool, like a pendulum or deck of cards. I think that this can create a wonderful sense of comfort for the one using it. But I think that we generally create attachments which are stronger than is possibly healthy with things like this. It's something I now try to watch out for. I also feel, intuitively, that trying to imbue objects with "power" is unnecessary and possibly unwise, although it seems to be a innate human urge.

So, treat your pendulum like a friend, if it helps you, but don't give it too much credit. It's nice to treat the things we use with respect, but I would say the same goes for a spoon or a hammer. Resources of materials, human effort, etc. went into creating it, so why devalue these things? If the vibrations of a crystal is useful to us in some way, then we should definitely appreciate the opportunity to have these to use, because, I promise you, we would have to completely rape Mother Earth to mine enough crystals to go around to all the humans on the planet who would benefit from them. What I'm saying is - the crystal may be special, but I'm not convinced that it makes your pendulum any more special than one made from some common object.

sfaithj
23-02-2012, 09:18
Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I got a rose quartz pendulum last weekend. While it works wonderfully, I get the feeling I need to be doing something different with it in terms of how I treat it between uses (it has also indicated this to me). Does anyone know a good resource on programming and caring for crystals? Also, dies anyone know if it's normal for it to get tired when you have been using it for awhile?

Obviously I'm a total newbie, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

i use crystals everyday for my healing. i recommend people first sage the crystal upon purchase/acquiring and then put in your left hand (or right against your skin on your heart), breathe some slow breathes and either think about your intention for the pendulum or say it out loud.

i'm curious why you chose rose quartz. rose quartz wouldn't be my first choice for a pendulum (unless i felt attracted to it for some reason). were you working on heart breaking or other heart centered issues when you bought it? clear quartz is the best crystal for a pendulum (in my opinion) as clear quartz is about truth and clarity.

Melisandre
23-02-2012, 11:40
i'm curious why you chose rose quartz. rose quartz wouldn't be my first choice for a pendulum (unless i felt attracted to it for some reason). were you working on heart breaking or other heart centered issues when you bought it? clear quartz is the best crystal for a pendulum (in my opinion) as clear quartz is about truth and clarity.

I can't speak for newlillith, but my first and only pendulum is also a rose quartz. It was definitely not what I walked into the store looking for, as I had my mind made up that I wanted amythest. But I felt very drawn to the rose quartz (despite its very girly style, which really wasn't what I was looking for). I wound up buying it and it really seems to work quite well for me.

newlillith
24-02-2012, 09:18
Yeah, I think having a separate bag for the pendulum might be a good idea, for two reasons. One, to keep your pendulum safe from scratches and the like. And two, maybe to separate the energy of the deck from the energy of the pendulum?

How about asking the pendulum if it would like different types or storage? i.e., Do you want your own bag? Do you want to be kept in a box? Worth a shot, no? ;)

This is a good idea; I'm going to try this tomorrow morning, thanks!

newlillith
24-02-2012, 09:27
I'd like to qualify what I'm about to say with the proviso that it's just my opinion, based on my own personal experience. I'm not into crystals, which is not the same thing as saying I don't believe that they are beneficial or useful. My path has simply never taken me in that direction. However, I do have a lot of experience with pendulums, and here's what I've found - what the pendulum is made out if isn't important.

Yes, I've seen someone else on these boards (it might have even been you) who uses a nut she found in a puddle as her pendulum. I didn't know this was possible. For me, I like to do things the recommended way the first time, then experiment from there. But I will keep this in mind : )

I understand bonding with a tool, like a pendulum or deck of cards. I think that this can create a wonderful sense of comfort for the one using it. But I think that we generally create attachments which are stronger than is possibly healthy with things like this. It's something I now try to watch out for. I also feel, intuitively, that trying to imbue objects with "power" is unnecessary and possibly unwise, although it seems to be a innate human urge.

I agree that things can have more attachment value than is healthy, and I'm definitely on the lookout for this. For me, these are tools to help guide me in my development. A lot of other sites recommend bonding with your crystals or pendulums as well, so I am not sure if I actually am supposed to do that to keep it working properly, or if it will just happen over time.

So, treat your pendulum like a friend, if it helps you, but don't give it too much credit. It's nice to treat the things we use with respect, but I would say the same goes for a spoon or a hammer. Resources of materials, human effort, etc. went into creating it, so why devalue these things? If the vibrations of a crystal is useful to us in some way, then we should definitely appreciate the opportunity to have these to use, because, I promise you, we would have to completely rape Mother Earth to mine enough crystals to go around to all the humans on the planet who would benefit from them. What I'm saying is - the crystal may be special, but I'm not convinced that it makes your pendulum any more special than one made from some common object.

I think it would be impossible to use something for one's spiritual work and not respect it, so I have no problem there. I agree with you on a lot of points and thank you for taking time to respond. Like I said, I know nothing so I'm soaking up all the knowledge I can get! Thanks so much : )

newlillith
24-02-2012, 09:30
i use crystals everyday for my healing. i recommend people first sage the crystal upon purchase/acquiring and then put in your left hand (or right against your skin on your heart), breathe some slow breathes and either think about your intention for the pendulum or say it out loud.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to try that : ) I'm seeing already there are many different opinions on how to use crystals! I chose rose quartz because it just kind of called to me. I also saw in a book that it can help you feel the love in the universe and learn to love yourself--both things that I struggle with at times. I'll have to try a clear quartz one out though and see if it's any better; thanks : )

newlillith
24-02-2012, 09:32
I can't speak for newlillith, but my first and only pendulum is also a rose quartz. It was definitely not what I walked into the store looking for, as I had my mind made up that I wanted amythest. But I felt very drawn to the rose quartz (despite its very girly style, which really wasn't what I was looking for). I wound up buying it and it really seems to work quite well for me.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts Melisandre! I also didn't walk into the store wanting a pendulum (though I had been thinking about getting one), but I was just drawn to them and to the rose quartz one. It just "feels" so gentle. I'm getting so many great ideas from this thread, thanks again!

Kris Hughes
24-02-2012, 13:27
Yes, I've seen someone else on these boards (it might have even been you) who uses a nut she found in a puddle as her pendulum. I didn't know this was possible. For me, I like to do things the recommended way the first time, then experiment from there. But I will keep this in mind : )

"the recommended way" is just one recommended way of many. Follow your intuition!

That wasn't me, previously, with the nut, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only nutty one!

newlillith
24-02-2012, 14:03
Aren't we all a little nutty? : p. Thanks again!

DownwardSpiral
26-02-2012, 06:57
ya know......I keep reading this and thinking.....so what's the "recommended" way LOL.

My pendulum is made from a charm that I had sent away for from I think lucky charms cereal. And it sits on my makeshift table where it occasionally gets knocked off. Ok I'll admit if this was a rose quartz I'd probably have a heart attack everytime I heard it hit the floor : )

It's Linnie that has the nut as a pendulum : )

I would "store" it however it's most comfortable to you. Whether that's wrapping it in something special and/or putting it in a special bag....or leaving it out where you can admire it and hold it when the desire strikes you. I'm getting images of it sitting in a small velvet-lined heart shaped jewelry box : )

newlillith
28-02-2012, 02:47
Thanks downward spiral! I found the box my wedding rings came in and put it in there, great suggestion :) I'm starting to get the feeling there is no one recommended way! Thanks for refreshing my memory on Linnie's nut :p I didn't know you could send away for actual lucky charms, very cool!

214red
28-02-2012, 03:02
Thanks downward spiral! I found the box my wedding rings came in and put it in there, great suggestion :) I'm starting to get the feeling there is no one recommended way! Thanks for refreshing my memory on Linnie's nut :p I didn't know you could send away for actual lucky charms, very cool!

there are no rules, only the ones we want to use and work for us!

Remember to have fun too, rules often make it all too serious!

StaceyLee
10-03-2012, 15:05
I tend to keep my pendulum in a small purple (for spirituality and power) organza bag with some mugwort herb (for divination) and generally cleanse and charge it periodically on the Full Moon. This is just me (my witchy side coming out) but I find it works for me and I connect with my pendulum better.