Learning / Remembering

dach

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but how do people learn / remember meanings and interpretations. There does not seem to be a "Beginners" section on the forum for newbies to be able to post "silly" or "obvious to others" type of questions?
I am struggling to come to terms with the meaning or interpretation of the spreads/cards and want help, I have some basic books and would like a few pointers of where/ how to move forwards!

gypsylady

When I first started, I had the same issue, so what I did was I started a Tarot journal. I would look up the meaning of each card on the forum, biddy tarot, blogs, anywhere I could and write out the meanings that stuck out for me, then I would go back and read my entries every day to remember them, then one day, it was like everything just sunk in :)

dach

Thanks

I have started a journal keeping a note of the cards and the "meanings" from one or more sources. I'll have a better look through the links posted.
Any other thoughts or ideas are more than welcome!

nisaba

Lots and lots and lots of use, over years.

No card sticks to one meaning. Work with the images in front of you. Every time you see them, they will mean something different - there are only 78 cards, and billions of things they need to be able to describe.

1Eleven

No card sticks to one meaning. Work with the images in front of you. Every time you see them, they will mean something different - there are only 78 cards, and billions of things they need to be able to describe.

Well said! I tend to aim to remember just the concept of a card and allow the details to emerge during a reading.

Jon

dach

What do you mean when you say the "concept" of the card?

celticnoodle

I also agree with this. try to just look at the cards in front of you and get a story from it. Pay attention to the action in the card, how it relates to the cards around it and how it could possibly answer the question posed to the cards. it gets easier with time.

as for the concept of the card, I believe what 1Eleven meant is that each card number and the suit have a generally 'accepted' meanging. Such as, all aces are generally speaking about a beginning, all wands are generally about a project, school, or a job, pentacles are generally about your money or health or other valuable things, etc.

Click and read through the "learn" icon at the top left. It is a VALUABLE learning tool that will be of great help, I think. but, try not to memorize a specific meaning for each card--as it doesn't really work that way.

good luck!

amethyst57

journaling is a great way to remember the cards...
i find when i write something down i can recall it better....
get to the point where with some or all the cards you won't have
to consult the books, is a great feeling....

2 books that may help, if you don't have them yet:
"2 Hour Tarot Tutor" by Wilma Carroll
"Psychic Tarot" by Melanie Howard & Nancy Antenucci....

dach

Thanks for all the input so far, very much appreciated!