Events Predicted Actually Occurring

haleyw

I am sure they've been discussions on this previously, but I can't find anything.

From doing a reading how do you judge how long things take to come to fruition. For example, I did a reading for my Aunt a year ago, for near future, 3-6 months, it said she would lose her job, get offered another, then lose her house and be involved in a legal wrangling. The job part happened about 6 months ago, the house and legal stuff will be coming up in the next few months, because she's recently seperated from her husband and this is what we know is going to be happening. That part will be well over a year since the reading. I also did further future 6-12months, these were really good cards, so I wonder when this next stuff will happen?

This happens most of the time with my readings, when I do them this way. I wonder why? I could understand if I didn't use a time frame, but I do. It sounds as though they are just picking up on future and further future - no timing. Are the cards just picking up on the next major events, no matter how long they will be?

Any ideas please?

tarotbear

Sometimes, IMHO, I think we as readers can 'over-intellectualize' something. It is very true that focusing your tarot reading for a certain period of time - the next 6 months instead of the next 25 years - will help you see what you need to know to answer the question. However, I learned a long time ago that our concept of 'time' is a narrow, constricting, man-made contrivance that has nothing to do with the Universe which we can preceive as infinate. What does 'six months' mean to something that has always been there and will be there eternally?

That thought aside - :D - When you ask the cards to 'tell me about the next 6 months (only),' 'tell my about my finances for the next 9 months,' or ' Where will I be 12 months from now?' - you may THINK you're going to focus the answer to such laser-pinpoint accuracy. In the Universe's reality - that is too short a time, or perhaps even it is not enough time to see the whole picture.

My example is your 'Year Card,' which in theory goes from your birth date to your next birth date. It is not as though on the stroke of midnight (or even the time of your birth) that one thing will enter and usher the other thing out. The boundries of your Year can start or end anytime (because once again - time is a man-made contrivance) before or after a paper calendar date. This Year I enter into the Death Card Year on May 12. The effects of my ending Hanged Man Card Year could still be with me through the summer of this year, or the Death Card may be here early. {Personally, I believe they are going to overlap by several months}

So, what does all this verbiage mean?

IMHO - although you did a reading about the next 12 months and received an answer that didn't happen IN that 12 month period but sometime later - that the seeds of the situation were sown in the 12 months you asked about and the Universe showed you the eventual outcome - but that outcome itself was not in the same 12 months.

Tarot is fluid - remember that! :D

haleyw

Sometimes, IMHO, I think we as readers can 'over-intellectualize' something. It is very true that focusing your tarot reading for a certain period of time - the next 6 months instead of the next 25 years - will help you see what you need to know to answer the question. However, I learned a long time ago that our concept of 'time' is a narrow, constricting, man-made contrivance that has nothing to do with the Universe which we can preceive as infinate. What does 'six months' mean to something that has always been there and will be there eternally?

That thought aside - :D - When you ask the cards to 'tell me about the next 6 months (only),' 'tell my about my finances for the next 9 months,' or ' Where will I be 12 months from now?' - you may THINK you're going to focus the answer to such laser-pinpoint accuracy. In the Universe's reality - that is too short a time, or perhaps even it is not enough time to see the whole picture.

My example is your 'Year Card,' which in theory goes from your birth date to your next birth date. It is not as though on the stroke of midnight (or even the time of your birth) that one thing will enter and usher the other thing out. The boundries of your Year can start or end anytime (because once again - time is a man-made contrivance) before or after a paper calendar date. This Year I enter into the Death Card Year on May 12. The effects of my ending Hanged Man Card Year could still be with me through the summer of this year, or the Death Card may be here early. {Personally, I believe they are going to overlap by several months}

So, what does all this verbiage mean?

IMHO - although you did a reading about the next 12 months and received an answer that didn't happen IN that 12 month period but sometime later - that the seeds of the situation were sown in the 12 months you asked about and the Universe showed you the eventual outcome - but that outcome itself was not in the same 12 months.

Tarot is fluid - remember that! :D

That's answered my question. Brilliantly explained and completely understood. I like 'the seeds have been sown' part.

Thanks a million Tarot bear

Zephyros

Wonderful thoughts, tarotbear!

I'd like to add that Tarot can show us what was, what is and what will be; but it also show us what should or should not have been, what should or should not be, what could be. The answers aren't always as straightforward as we would like them to be, and it is not always easy to discern the true messages. Indeed, some of the things we predict play temporal havoc, since by the very fact that we are predicting them, they could be caused, or avoided. Even when predictions don't come true, that it does not mean that they are wrong (ok, by definition it means they are wrong, but bear with me) but it could mean the future has changed. I don't believe in predestination, but the reading itself is not divorced from reality, and sometimes the reading was meant to happen just so events could unfold differently (or exactly as predicted!).

In short, predictive readings (and especially talking about predictive readings) tend to get me more tongue twisted than an episode of Star Trek :)

wulzcat

Wonderful thoughts, tarotbear!

I'd like to add that Tarot can show us what was, what is and what will be; but it also show us what should or should not have been, what should or should not be, what could be. The answers aren't always as straightforward as we would like them to be, and it is not always easy to discern the true messages. Indeed, some of the things we predict play temporal havoc, since by the very fact that we are predicting them, they could be caused, or avoided. Even when predictions don't come true, that it does not mean that they are wrong (ok, by definition it means they are wrong, but bear with me) but it could mean the future has changed. I don't believe in predestination, but the reading itself is not divorced from reality, and sometimes the reading was meant to happen just so events could unfold differently (or exactly as predicted!).

In short, predictive readings (and especially talking about predictive readings) tend to get me more tongue twisted than an episode of Star Trek :)

Good points all. I also wonder somewhat what is the point of predictive readings if they don't help. I understand that in many other cultures, ancient and/or traditional, divination is undertaken to help the querent see all sides of a current situation and help them decide what action to take in a situation. In other words, they help the querent to *act*. On the other hand if all they do is tell the querent what will happen, what does that prove other than that the cards came true? I have found predictive readings to be quite damaging and disempowering as they encourage passivity and fatalism.

Just my thoughts... (somewhat bitter thoughts as I have just received a predictive practice-reading that was somewhat downbeat - 10 of swords anyone? aargh...)

Zephyros

I usually don't do them, unless there is a strong undercurrent during readings that I feel simply has to be said since the reading is screaming it out, but I don't think there are completely useless. Like any other aspect of Tarot, it gives you something to think about, and allows you to observe you top actively observe your life. You could make changes in order to improve it. For example, predicting problems in a couple's relationship could cause them to either admit they have problems and break up, or make them go on a romantic holiday. Either way, they are actively seeking out solutions to problems and situations, rather than just letting things happen.

wulzcat

Having just received back another practice reading with a timed element, and this one preferable to the earlier one (!), I have some suggestions (as much for myself as anyone else):

Perhaps do the initial reading without a timed element to see what energies/events are manifesting/will manifest. Then if there are certain notable events, use a system such as Nisaba's Timing Method (http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=151427) to try and pin the event down to a timeframe. To prevent the querent feeling doomed or boxed in by long term forecasts, ask the cards if there is something s/he can do to alter the course of events. It may be of course that the querent needs to learn some life lessons; if the forecast is difficult, ask the cards what karmic/life lessons the querent is learning/needs to learn in relation to these events.

I think it's important not just to predict, with no solutions/course of action offered. Readings must ultimately be useful and help the querent move forward. :)

Amanda

Change the way you do timing. It's that simple. This is why spreads with definite positions are constricting, whether about timing or something else. So utilize the cards themselves as the timing method instead of the spread and let them fall where they may and trust that your intuition will catch it. You are doing something very right-brained (timing with the Universe) in a very left-brained manner (the structure of the spread), and therein lies your conflict... and it's not working for you, so change the way you're doing it.

nisaba

From doing a reading how do you judge how long things take to come to fruition.
I've had stuff happen years, even decades after the event.

I could understand if I didn't use a time frame, but I do. It sounds as though they are just picking up on future and further future - no timing. Are the cards just picking up on the next major events, no matter how long they will be?

Perhaps the time-frame you set is too rigid, and the cards simply go along and tell people what they need to know anyway. Why not try working on a spread that doesn't give you any hint of timing in the structure of hte reading, tehn when you are talking about events, close your eyes for a moment and allow your mouth to say a time-frame without your thinking about it. I do that, mostly. Then if that doesn't work, I go to my timing method, which over the years has had a lot of positive feedback from clients. Single-card pull from another FULL deck that you didn't use for the main reading.