Which Majors do you look to for first impressions of a deck?

Practicing Human

Whenever I am looking through cards or images of a deck I'm seeing for the first time I tend to go straight to certain Majors for a first impression of the deck. How the Major is depicted can sometimes turn me away from looking at a deck any further if it doesn't capture the right "feel" for me.

The Death card is always the first one I look to. If there isn't something that indicates newness or new life or rebirth I feel like the artist missed the mark entirely and I'm not confident their interpretation will resonate with me, just based on that simple prejudice from that card.

The other cards I'll look to that aren't as make-or-break yet hold a great deal of influence is the High Priestess and Strength. What I look for in the High Priestess can't be put into words (naturally :D ) and Strength has to convey that gentleness somewhere in it.

Does anyone else have cards that can make or break a deck for them based on how they're depicted?

Chiska

I don't. I guess I look at it as a whole. I keep seeing these kinds of questions, but I always feel strange as I don't have a specific card that will make it or break it for a deck. Sure, there are some decks that have cards I don't care for, but it hasn't changed how I felt about the deck as a whole.

Cassandra022

I don't. I guess I look at it as a whole. I keep seeing these kinds of questions, but I always feel strange as I don't have a specific card that will make it or break it for a deck. Sure, there are some decks that have cards I don't care for, but it hasn't changed how I felt about the deck as a whole.

i second this sentiment

jema

I usually get more annoyed with minors. Like the frigging boat in 6 of swords, the heart in 3 swords, the flying wands in the 8 etc. If I wanted RWS cards I bloody well just buy a RWS deck.

Le Fanu

I'm quite happy to have Death as grim and terrifying, sweeping with his scythe. No *rebirth* euphemisms for me!

Oh but the Moon! It must be eerie and dreamy and nocturnal and watery.

The Emperor must be very male. So often (female?) creators love doing the female cards, do wonderful High Priestesses and Empresses but the Emperor card is a bit lame.

I also look more and more at Hermits. Never used to.

I never look at Temperance as it's impossible to make the Temperance card fascinating! :D

Karmagoth

None of the majors are make or break cards for me. It's the Courts. The Legacy of The Divine would be a stunning deck to me if I didn't want to slap all the Pages.

Richard

......I never look at Temperance as it's impossible to make the Temperance card fascinating! :D
That's entirely a matter of personal taste. :D

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 100

annabel398

I'm in the "Temperance... <yawn>" camp, but that one is pretty dreamy! LRichard, what's it from?

ETA: Particular majors? I don't really have a make-or-break... Good Hierophants are hard to find, but I'm used to that. Hermits ditto.