Miscellaneous enabling threads... meh?

Zephyros

This may be a pet peeve of mine, but can`t people just ask others what they think? As someone who doesn`t visit those threads, if you want to know about a deck, open a thread, and ask. This makes sense both for search purposes, and also makes for a more vibrant and interesting forum, and isn't that what the whole Decks forum is for? It`s like opening a Thread in Talking entitled "Let`s talk about Tarot..."

Chronata

I have tried that in the past...opening new threads about certain decks I have just acquired.
They don't last long.
I get "Why didn't you search? we talked about this before...here's all the links"
and that's usually the end of the discussion.

But I understand what you mean. Just as I don't want to sift through 40 pages about a deck (from the moment it's announced to when it actually is released) There are even more pages to the enabling and de-enabling threads to sift through.

I started the neutral thread to give a balanced quick overview on why someone should buy, simply because it seemed to be something that many desired.

Arania

Yeah the whole searching ages old posts and go through them all is a no-no for me. I want fresh thoughts in discussions.

gregory

The other thing is - while I take your point, closrapexa - OK- someone posts a thread saying they are thinking of buying x deck for this reason. What do others think ?

Two people say great, I love mine, go for it. So far so good. THEN someone comes in and says actually, if that's what you are looking for in a deck, you might like y deck better.

Then the OP says gosh yes that sounds good. Then - well you get the idea. And it would be unreasonable to say you may not suggest something else in such a thread, as that might be just what the OP needs. I think this is a no-win one....

Zephyros

But one of the points of the Decks forum, and one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, is that at a glance I can see names of decks I never heard of before, and then get interested in them. Those threads, as useful as they may be for people who actually use them, it is doubtful if they are for idle browsing, and when most of the traffic is in them... I dunno. I can't stop people from posting in them, obviously but it's just... boring

Zephyros

The other thing is - while I take your point, closrapexa - OK- someone posts a thread saying they are thinking of buying x deck for this reason. What do others think ?

Two people say great, I love mine, go for it. So far so good. THEN someone comes in and says actually, if that's what you are looking for in a deck, you might like y deck better.

Then the OP says gosh yes that sounds good. Then - well you get the idea. And it would be unreasonable to say you may not suggest something else in such a thread, as that might be just what the OP needs. I think this is a no-win one....

I get it, I know they are useful, but one could also say that in such a situation, the OP receives a number of good suggestions, and then makes up their minds. :)
Again, it's as though the entire Decks forum has been contracted into three threads. It makes me feel like I'm at a party and no one will talk to me :(

gregory

But one of the points of the Decks forum, and one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, is that at a glance I can see names of decks I never heard of before, and then get interested in them. Those threads, as useful as they may be for people who actually use them, it is doubtful if they are for idle browsing, and when most of the traffic is in them... I dunno. I can't stop people from posting in them, obviously but it's just... boring
I know what you mean; I just don't know what would work better.... I do think CREATION should stay in creation - the decks in progress that show up under tarot decks are annoying...
Again, it's as though the entire Decks forum has been contracted into three threads. It makes me feel like I'm at a party and no one will talk to me :(
Jennifer dear, did you here that rustling noise by the palm tree ? Mary, pass the sugar.... })

Myrrha

Yeah the whole searching ages old posts and go through them all is a no-no for me. I want fresh thoughts in discussions.

I agree with enjoying fresh discussion although I also like searching the older posts.

There used to be more threads discussing specific decks even when they'd been discussed before. One of the things I like about this forum is that the mods seem to realize there are always new people getting into tarot and allow new threads on previously discussed topics.

I wouldn't have known about the Rosetta Tarot if someone hadn't started a thread asking about it and another Thoth type deck. I have no intention of buying it so don't feel in need of enabling or de-enabling but more enjoy reading people's comments on what they enjoy about it and what they are learning from it... this is so for most decks.

Le Fanu

I loved Chronata's new thread. I think it works well and gives the opportunity for a nice, succinct pros and cons of a deck which pages of a rambling thread don't.

But I still think people should do what I do, which is just search threads myself, in silence, read up on what others have to say and have a think! :D I like to reach my own decisions without having to ask other people's opinion. I know what I like, I just need to know about cardstock or printings or borders or LWB or something.

Yet there's definitely a place for a "to-the-point" pros & cons thread. I haven't even been asking about decks but I have found people's posts in that thread fascinating to read.

vee

I think they're fun to read, mostly. Especially the de-enabling thread. :laugh: I love hearing what makes people attracted or repulsed by any deck. I don't see it as a real research center, just opinions. It's sort of like...the good version of Amazon reviews? Because the Amazon reviews on Tarot decks are mostly awful.

I agree with Le Fanu that I usually find out whether or not I want a deck from silent research. I think nisaba is the only person who has successfully enabled me on buying a deck just from those threads alone. (And I still haven't bought it!--so I guess it's not a successful enabling yet, but once I have the funds, it will be.)