What to do when a reading isn't accurate

Tarot Fairy

I always find it hard to decide what I need to do when a reading isn't accurate. Yesterday I did a reading and after reading the feedback I found out that it wasn't accurate. It gave me a failed feeling but I was truly happy that the sitter was honest in her feedback, I want to learn and with making mistakes I am able to do so. Anyway I am curious what you all do after receiving the feedback that the reading wasn't accurate; do you redo the reading? Are telling that you are sorry or not? any input is welcome!

gregory

First off - what is "accurate" ? I have on occasion thought a reading was off, said so - and later found out that it wasn't; I have also - let's be blunt - been in denial about a reading I've received, when it wasn't something I really wanted to hear at the time. It's possible your sitter felt that way too ?

And the other thing is - all you can do is your best. Assuming that I did do my best, I just say that that was what I got from the cards, and I am sorry if it didn't resonate - and leave it at that. What else is there ? If I am crap enough, my sitter won't be back... :) But no reader is perfect, and there will always be times a reading is less helpful than other times.

I might offer to try again - it would depend very much on the circumstances. But as long as you do your best, you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Fezzi

I agree with gregory....sometimes readings don't make sense right away. And if even the reading is 'off' it's nothing to feel bad about...we've all had it happen. You could apologize and offer to try again, that's how I've handled it in the past. Usually my readings will go 'off' when I'm tired, just did too many readings, etc. Trying again later will usually do the trick, though. At least maybe the second one might make more sense at the present moment if the first one doesn't make sense right away.

loaa boa

Sometimes they just really aren't accurate.

Like saying I was unemployed and worried about money.

I'm in upper management and have a big portfolio so there was no denial, the reading wasn't accurate is all.

If my reading I give isn't accurate, I wonder if I am projecting my own thoughts and biases onto their question.

If someone told me it wasn't accurate, I would just do another one. Maybe I was distracted or something. Plus, in my case, I am new and reading is really difficult to do for me right now.

Zephyros

I think that in this age, we are used to things either "working" or "not working," a binary 0 or 1. If I leave my computer off, it doesn't work, but then I turn it on and I have internet. There are usually reasons for things acting the way they do.

Tarot isn't like that. Sure, we can make excuses as in it may not seem accurate today but it will tomorrow, Tarot works in mysterious ways, your Karma is off, your house is on a hill, you need better Tarot reception, someone else shuffled your cards, your querent was too negative, you querent was too positive... phew... so many reasons I've heard (and told) over the years to explain why this is. However, ultimately, I think there is no reason, it just is, it doesn't work all the time, not all readings are accurate.

If you ask me, that's a good thing, it is one of the things that really differentiate Tarot from other things. If I were you, I'd learn to enjoy it :)

If the reading is for someone else, and it is not accurate, that can be a bummer, but I just shrug and say "that's the way it is" and offer to read for them another time when the Tarot Gods are less annoyed with me pestering them.

Luna-Ocean

First off - what is "accurate" ? I have on occasion thought a reading was off, said so - and later found out that it wasn't; I have also - let's be blunt - been in denial about a reading I've received, when it wasn't something I really wanted to hear at the time. It's possible your sitter felt that way too ?

And the other thing is - all you can do is your best. Assuming that I did do my best, I just say that that was what I got from the cards, and I am sorry if it didn't resonate - and leave it at that. What else is there ? If I am crap enough, my sitter won't be back... :) But no reader is perfect, and there will always be times a reading is less helpful than other times.

I might offer to try again - it would depend very much on the circumstances. But as long as you do your best, you shouldn't feel bad about it.

I agree with Gregory, some times many people just don't want to know the truth?, even though that is why they went to see a reader in the first place? TBH i've even sat through a reading about myself and it got so personal i just wanted the reader to just Stop and Not say anymore, so i can say hand on heart that is why many Tarot reader's are not being treated fairly and are made to feel they have no psychic ability, when infact i expect many give at least 98% accuracy in all their readings.

poivre

inaccurate readings

I feel that all the cards have the correct answer. The cards that are involved with the
reading, however they are chosen, is the answer you are meant to have. It's the
information you need at this time, asking the question. If the sitter does not get the
answer they are seeking, it may be that, the answer is coming to them from a different
angle than they are expecting and do not understand...the answer is correct. The
answer is the information that is needed at the time, and if it is not...re-word the
question. :)

e.g.
It's like your waiting for a ride at your front door 3:00 and the car shows up
at the side of the house at 2:45...by 3:15 your upset because you made it clear
to be picked up at 3:00 and did not notice the car at 2:45.
Changes your thoughts about 3:00 and the person picking you up...
your ride arrives but not at the door you choose or the time...
you are still picked up but not the way "you" had planned it.

When you are told the reading is not accurate
maybe for them it is not, but for you, it is how you
understand what you are seeing, so it is a truth. :)

Kosjitov

I recently gave an "inaccurate" reading for someone. I will confess that I felt bad, and did apologize, but I've figured out that offering a second reading doesn't really make up for that let-down feeling.

I'm actually grateful when people tell me that I'm wrong. Humble pie is good if you take it in small bites, and it certainly gives me a new fire to figure out a new meaning for what I saw. I believe the cards were meant to be there- I have a tingly feeling in my spine when it's time to draw- but I just don't have the knowledge yet to interpret them right. Thankfully most people are understanding and this doesn't happen very often (like when I'm sick, or just FOUL mooded!) but I do appreciate the kind note of "This doesn't resonate with me" so that I know what I have to work on.

The greatest mark is when someone who you had a bad draw with comes back and gives you a second chance of their own free will- and you smash it out of the park!

Bluebonnet

Well, I can tell you what paid readers have told me when I came back and stated my readings were wrong. And, I have had many paid readings that were just wrong....these were readings I received years ago in person. I usually email them about a year later. Some will not respond, but I do appreciate those who do. I always have predictive readings. I don't feel I need to pay to have a psychology lesson.

The readers who do respond will say the usual...nothing is set in stone, timing can be off, the cards were misinterpreted,.....no one can be 100%.

None have ever offered a re-reading. I think I have actually had more accurate readings on this forum than the handful of in person paid readings.

Melia

What to do when a reading isn't accurate - accept the feedback. Trust that the sitter is being honest (don't assume they don't want to hear the truth) - there might really have been something you misinterpreted in the cards. As you say we learn more from our mistakes. Don't feel bad about it - you have provided a free service. No obligation to redo the reading unless you really want to (but if you do, how kind of you to do so).

I've paid for a few professional readings. One in particular was from a well-known reader in my town - she got it totally wrong. They certainly never re-did the reading for me.