Pentacles/Coins/Stars... what is the connection?

wulzcat

Hello all,

I am wondering why the Coins are represented by Pentacles (Stars)? I know the word 'pentacle' refers to the 5-pointed star, but we often interpret them as coins.

Pentacles keep showing up in my readings but I am beginning to wonder if sometimes they are referring to my interest in astrology... I use the Aquarian Deck rather than the RWS, and while the two are similar the Aquarian makes the pentacles/stars much more prominent as such.

I did a relationship reading where astrology was deeply involved, both parties having met through a shared love of astrology (yes OK I admit I was one of the 'parties' ;) )... pentacles figured largely in the reading, although neither of us are especially materialistic. Then I saw the cards in a different way, with the stars as actual stars rather than coins. In this light the King of Pentacles became the King of Stars rather than the man of material stability (well, he could be that too maybe...).

Does anyone else ever view the pentacle suit in this way?

BodhiSeed

Here's a more scholarly discussion of this subject:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=17349

The pentacles/coins can represent anything earthly - finances, nature, health/the body (think of the shape you make when standing with feet apart, arms straight out, and head held high), but I've never heard of them connected to astrology. Doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't be... })

wulzcat

Oooooh, thank you very much BodhiSeed, that's an interesting discussion. I am interested in the reference to the BoT describing the transition of the earth suit from Disks to Coins and back again, depending on where they fall in the Tree of Life (about which I know just about nothing, I should state).

Flicking through the Book of Thoth and the earth suit is described thus (paraphrasing):
In their 'highest' form, the disks are whirling matter, spheres, atoms, stars. In their 'lowest' form they are flat and still and pertain to money. (BoT, p. 210).

In my own reading I read the 4 of pentacles, which shows a man with a star placed above his head, over his heart and one on each hand (similar to the RWS) as the star energy entering through his crown and heart chakras, and 'exiting' for manifestation through his hands.

I feel 'manifestation' might be the key word here...?

crone

Pentacles -- what ARE they?

I was taught that Pentacles represented the healing powers of earth magic, unity with the visible world, and a celebration of the realm of the sensual. Coins were used mostly in deck designs influenced more by fortune telling (material gain, worldly success) than metaphysics (healing, unity/web of life), and sensual celebration).

Also, being told that the pentacle itself was a sort of web symbol -- a binding, material construct with magical resonance. It's easy to see how these interpretations can work for this suit -- even work together!

Please bear in mind, that I learned Tarot over 45 years ago when there was very little in the way of printed material let alone the availability of proper tarot decks (my first deck was a set of regular playing cards, just like my great grandmother used). My initiatory instruction for many years came from oral tradition and such teachers as I encountered.

I am sure there are others here who could give you much more factual information. But I continue to find that the interpretation I employ adds richness to this often under appreciated suit.

I hope this helps somewhat! Nice to meet you!

wulzcat

I was taught that Pentacles represented the healing powers of earth magic, unity with the visible world, and a celebration of the realm of the sensual. Coins were used mostly in deck designs influenced more by fortune telling (material gain, worldly success) than metaphysics (healing, unity/web of life), and sensual celebration).

Also, being told that the pentacle itself was a sort of web symbol -- a binding, material construct with magical resonance. It's easy to see how these interpretations can work for this suit -- even work together!

Please bear in mind, that I learned Tarot over 45 years ago when there was very little in the way of printed material let alone the availability of proper tarot decks (my first deck was a set of regular playing cards, just like my great grandmother used). My initiatory instruction for many years came from oral tradition and such teachers as I encountered.

I am sure there are others here who could give you much more factual information. But I continue to find that the interpretation I employ adds richness to this often under appreciated suit.

I hope this helps somewhat! Nice to meet you!

ah, that's very interesting, thank you! i've never heard that before... so in that sense the King of Pentacles would be a King of Earthly Magic and sensuality? And pentacles would make more sense in a love reading as well as other readings I've been doing - could be a sign of becoming more grounded?

I think I am going to have a go with the ordinary playing cards one of these days...

Nice to meet you too! :)