Oracle of Shadow and Light

LadyDeborah

I don't usually go for "cutesy" type cards, but these fascinate me. Could someone tell me the status of this deck? It looks as though there is a pre-order on for a new version of this Oracle. Is it better in your opinion, or is the previous publication better from what is known now? I guess I'm simply asking what is going on with it. Thank you!

Cat*

The new version has a few different cards that replace some of the old ones. If I remember correctly, they replaced almost all the ones that didn't quite fit the card format (e.g. Carnivorous Greenhouse, Absinthe Fairy, Carousel Fairy) with a totally different new card (the meaning may be similar, though?). I also remember there was a complete repainting of Shallow Grave.

The new version also has all images fill the card completely, so there are no more backgrounds added to the sides. I can't explain it very well, so maybe an example will help: The "I am Kali" card has a wide red border on each side of the actual painting in the old edition. In the new edition, the painting is as wide as the card - which means the image is cut off at about the card character's waist.

ETA: You can see the old "I am Kali" in this image from the artist's website.

I know I found all images of both versions somewhere on the internet a while ago, but I don't have the link.

LadyDeborah

Thank you Cat for describing the cards for me, and Bodhiseed... I went to your blog and it's wonderful. I will be there often! All of your info was helpful.

BodhiSeed

Wow, I didn't know they had changed some of the cards. Thanks for that bit of info, Cat. I guess they used Oz for their test subjects.:p I'll be interested in seeing some of the new cards to compare them to the old.

By the way, welcome to the AT forum LadyDeborah!

Gia

Wow! I had no idea! I love this deck and use it for my own (not client) Readings. I always thought the size of the BOX was oddly large...the cards, which are larger format, SWIM inside...to read that they're REPLACING cards is crazy! I am curious about the replaced cards!

Melia

Six of the cards have been changed. The card back has also be re-designed with a key motif.

All of the new cards can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Shadow...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326814283&sr=1-1

The list of re-designed cards is as follows:

Card No. 2 - Fairy of the Divine Hand
Card No. 13 - I am Kali --- image has been re-designed (effectively the same image as previously, but this time a magnified version)
Card No. 21 - Angel of Alchemy - a magnified version of the old, and dropping the 2 side images
Card No. 26 - The three fates - what comes around
Card No. 29 - Shallow Grave --- the image has been re-designed
Card No. 38 - Carnivorous Flower Fairy - a tempting offer has a high price

Tarot Fairy

hmmm now I am a bit frustrated... I love the new re-designed more than the old ones...

Melia

So do I Tarot Fairy .... and I prefer the key motif on the card backs too.

Essjay

I like the new ones too and traded away my last set but will probably get the new one :)